Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit

Archive: [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150272-how-lifetime-miles-calculated-mileageplus-archive.html]How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by iapetus
So, there's really no terribly convenient way ... at least not on the UA side. But I will bookmark that FT thread. Thanks!
If you’re handy with a spreadsheet such as Excel, you could develop your own database.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm looking at an NH-marketed, but UA-operated fare. I'm assuming I'll earn lifetime miles on a 1:1 basis since I am sitting on a UA metal flight?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking at an NH-marketed, but UA-operated fare. I'm assuming I'll earn lifetime miles on a 1:1 basis since I am sitting on a UA metal flight?
yes, as long as you have your MP number attached to the reservation
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
yes, as long as you have your MP number attached to the reservation
So flying 5000 miles on an NH-marketed, but UA-operated flight with my UAMP number attached to the reservation will have 5000 miles added to my balance?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
So flying 5000 miles on an NH-marketed, but UA-operated flight with my UAMP number attached to the reservation will have 5000 miles added to my balance?
yes, for your lifetime flight mileage
SPN Lifer, lsquare and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA AAdvantage, SWA
Originally Posted by EmailKid
It is extremely simple.

You ONLY earn MM status on UA (and UX) metal.
I thought this was the case but I just called the Premier desk (I'm Platinum and I think they route calls based on your status) and I was told that codeshares count for MM status, as long as it's a UA flight number. I specifically asked about a flight to FRA. I never paid close attention to this in the past but I'm closing in on a mil now.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnboy90025
I thought this was the case but I just called the Premier desk (I'm Platinum and I think they route calls based on your status) and I was told that codeshares count for MM status, as long as it's a UA flight number. I specifically asked about a flight to FRA. I never paid close attention to this in the past but I'm closing in on a mil now.
The agent you called was incorrect.
SPN Lifer and johnboy90025 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by johnboy90025
... I was told that codeshares count for MM status, as long as it's a UA flight number. ...
While it will count for Premier status, it does not count for MM status. Reservation agents are not trained for those sort of questions, but not surprising they confab these different issues.

UA on the website states
Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance* of eligible United- and United Express®-operated flight.
mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.

FT wiki of this thread says the same thing

You have a chance a MP CS agent might know the correct answer, but a reservation agent -- nope
jsloan, SPN Lifer and johnboy90025 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Million miler accrual question

Hey there -
my understanding is that only BIS (butt-in-seat) miles count towards million miler status. I don't see a way to figure out how many of those miles are associated with a ticket. Just booked an ORD-LAX RT fare, and its showing 4708 award miles, but no indication of actual miles flown. Is there any way to find this out via the site or app?
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by np05
Hey there -
my understanding is that only BIS (butt-in-seat) miles count towards million miler status. I don't see a way to figure out how many of those miles are associated with a ticket. Just booked an ORD-LAX RT fare, and it’s showing 4708 award miles, but no indication of actual miles flown. Is there any way to find this out via the site or app?
Google “Great Circle Mapper”. Enter airport pairs there.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IHG Spire Ambassador, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Million Mile Calculations

After more than 25 years I will hit the million mile mark later this year. The engineer in me is trying to work out just which of my scheduled flights will get me there, but I am short a few data points for the calculations. I am not sure if anyone can provide the information but I thought it was worth asking (and if anyone will know it will be this group)

2 questions:

1) Is there a minimum number of miles per segment? (I have a few short distance connections - currently planning as actual but would change things if a minimum exists)
2) Is there a better / more accurate source for estimated mileage than airmilescalculator to use for estimating BIS miles?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by JWWI
After more than 25 years I will hit the million mile mark later this year. The engineer in me is trying to work out just which of my scheduled flights will get me there, but I am short a few data points for the calculations. I am not sure if anyone can provide the information but I thought it was worth asking (and if anyone will know it will be this group)

2 questions:

1) Is there a minimum number of miles per segment? (I have a few short distance connections - currently planning as actual but would change things if a minimum exists)
2) Is there a better / more accurate source for estimated mileage than airmilescalculator to use for estimating BIS miles?

Thanks in advance for any help
minimum 500 miles per segment if you have Premier status

i use air miles calculator and have never had issues with it besides rarely being off +/- 1 mile
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hope that this thread will be helpful for you.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IHG Spire Ambassador, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Thank you both for the quick reply - that just made everything much easier.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Hope that this thread will be helpful for you.
Can be helpful when desired pair has been posted, so I find gcmap or similar Great Circle site is easiest to use and generally within a few miles. Just adjust after each set of flights to the UA total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.