Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Originally Posted by stanscan
I wonder if someone has thought of this very possible scenario: I pay for the upgrade co-pay months in advance of my flight. It's charged to my Mileage Plus credit card. Because this is a United transaction, not only do I get miles for this, but bonus miles for a UA purchase. The upgrade fails. They will eventually refund to the form of payment, then take away the miles that have been in my account for months -- and maybe even spent or committed to getting another upgrade!
Or, what if you cancel the card before the refund?

Who pays the co-pay for a sponsored upgrade? If the recipient pays, then what are the mechanics for making the payment (phone call, online)?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Here is another very important question. How are upgrades handled when flying a domestic segment connecting to an international segment?

For example, flying ELP to ORD on a CR7, then ORD to say, LHR or MUC. If my upgrade clears flying the domestic segment, but doesn't clear for the international one would I only be charged for a domestic upgrade and have the appropriate number of miles, and copay refunded to me having paid for an international upgrade in advance?

A 550 dollar co-pay to upgrade on an RJ does not sound like a good deal.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Here is another very important question. How are upgrades handled when flying a domestic segment connecting to an international segment?

For example, flying ELP to ORD on a CR7, then ORD to say, LHR or MUC. If my upgrade clears flying the domestic segment, but doesn't clear for the international one would I only be charged for a domestic upgrade and have the appropriate number of miles, and copay refunded to me having paid for an international upgrade in advance?

A 550 dollar co-pay to upgrade on an RJ does not sound like a good deal.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that you will only be charged if the international segment clears.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that you will only be charged if the international segment clears.
You're not wrong...

See here, under" MileagePlus Upgrade Award rules": http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...grade/mua.aspx
For United Business, United BusinessFirst, United First and United Global First upgrade awards, all miles and upgrade co-pay fees will be refunded if the United Business or United First segment of the trip cannot be upgraded. For all other Upgrade Awards, miles and upgrade co-pay fees will be refunded only when no segments of the trip could be upgraded. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically 7 to 10 days after the trip.
I think the wording is a bit screwy, probably when they migrated the PMCO policy to the combined entity. I'm not sure what "all other Upgrade Awards" even refers to...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You're not wrong...

See here, under" MileagePlus Upgrade Award rules": http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...grade/mua.aspx
For United Business, United BusinessFirst, United First and United Global First upgrade awards, all miles and upgrade co-pay fees will be refunded if the United Business or United First segment of the trip cannot be upgraded. For all other Upgrade Awards, miles and upgrade co-pay fees will be refunded only when no segments of the trip could be upgraded. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically 7 to 10 days after the trip.
I think the wording is a bit screwy, probably when they migrated the PMCO policy to the combined entity. I'm not sure what "all other Upgrade Awards" even refers to...
Unless they fixed this bug with the merger, you will have to call on the phone to have your miles and money returned. I had this occur for two separate trips; every gate agent & President's Club agent assured me it would happen automatically. It did not occur until I called the OnePass call center. (And it did not occur on my mother's ticket either without a phone call). I wouldn't recommend emailing as a previous poster did. Calling on the phone was much faster.

And as previous posters commented - it has always been Continental's policy to charge an additional $150 to change a non-refundable ticket. (However, if you are sick, pay the $25 copay to go to the WalGreens clinic and get them to write a note that you are sick. It's silly, but it's saving you $125 - but I also had to fax that to Continental twice as well to get it to work).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
I'm currently in possibly the worst situation - I paid miles + money for a BusinessFirst Upgrade before the merger, and that upgrade didn't clear. Now the system has migrated over, and no one can figure out how to get me either my miles or my money back.

Over the last month I've called the MileagePlus service center twice, e-mailed once (no one got back to me on the e-mail), but I'm still out $550 and 20,000 miles.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
I'm currently in possibly the worst situation - I paid miles + money for a BusinessFirst Upgrade before the merger, and that upgrade didn't clear. Now the system has migrated over, and no one can figure out how to get me either my miles or my money back.

Over the last month I've called the MileagePlus service center twice, e-mailed once (no one got back to me on the e-mail), but I'm still out $550 and 20,000 miles.
That sounds horrific, another one of the horror stories coming out of the new UAL
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PeaSouper

Dispute the co-pay at least with your CC company?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Dispute the co-pay at least with your CC company?
I'm currently waitlisted for another BF upgrade next week, for which UA is currently holding another $550 of my dollars. I'm waiting to see how that waitlist goes, first, before I call my CC company next week to dispute either $550, or $1100 worth of charges.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Sponsored upgrade

Does anyone yet have experience with this rule in the case of a sponsored upgrade?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hooterbif
Does anyone yet have experience with this rule in the case of a sponsored upgrade?
You mean sponsor with miles&$ or at SWU? If miles&$ then it appears sponsor needs to come up with both at booking it. If SWU, then no change I know of (subject to change on a hourly basis).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: *Gold, 1K
Miles + $$ upgrade did not clear - how quickly do I get refunded?

Several weeks ago, I opted to try to upgrade on a LHR-SFO flight today for 20,000 miles + $425. I found it strange that United IMMEDIATELY charged my credit card and deducted miles even though I was waitlisted. My upgrade did not clear, so now I want to know when I will get my money refunded. Miles I can wait onN but it is unacceptable if thewre are delays in refunding my card. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Interestingly, I used a GPU for the outbound SFO-LHR flight on Monday and cleared a couple of days before.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A lot of people have been charging back w/CC processor since it's not going back automatically.

As soon as your miles post showing a coach segment non-upgraded, I'd call it in. Nothing is an automatic process these days.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jimmyb88
Several weeks ago, I opted to try to upgrade on a LHR-SFO flight today for 20,000 miles + $425. I found it strange that United IMMEDIATELY charged my credit card and deducted miles even though I was waitlisted. My upgrade did not clear, so now I want to know when I will get my money refunded. Miles I can wait onN but it is unacceptable if thewre are delays in refunding my card. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Interestingly, I used a GPU for the outbound SFO-LHR flight on Monday and cleared a couple of days before.

Thanks
Search is always your friend - your question has been asked in frustration many times over recently. Here's one of the topic threads http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-co-pays.html
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Depends on how quickly you call them and/or email them!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.