Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A lot of people have been charging back w/CC processor since it's not going back automatically.
That's probably difficult to do if you requested the upgrade and they charged your card more than two months ago. And while I would in theory encourage people to initiate disputes with the CC companies (I believe the merchant gets penalized somehow if there are a lot of them) to push UA toward fixing this issue, credit cardholder agreements usually require you to attempt to resolve the issue with the merchant directly before initiating a dispute.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA PremExec
It takes minutes to make the initial charge but forever to get the refund. There is no excuse for this. UA is in no hurry to return your money because it is a de facto interest free loan to UA. At some point the failure to return the money in a timely fashion becomes theft plain and simple.

Oddly, I did a miles and copay upgrade a week ago that cleared right away. The miles were deducted and the ticket charged immediately but there has been no copay charged. So you were charged immediately for a possible upgrade and I have yet to charged for an actual upgrade!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAkls
It takes minutes to make the initial charge but forever to get the refund. There is no excuse for this. UA is in no hurry to return your money because it is a de facto interest free loan to UA. At some point the failure to return the money in a timely fashion becomes theft plain and simple.
Well, if you're not revolving your CC balance, then you're the one getting an interest-free loan when you make the initial charge. I think companies, in general, are slower with re-funds for auditing/fraud-prevention purposes.

But if you do call UA and they say they'll refund the charge, you can still initiate the dispute with the CC (subject to your card's "statue of limitations") and tell them that it has been resolved with the merchant but you're awaiting the processing of the refund, and the card company will issue you a temporary credit. At least Amex has worked like this for me in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.