Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I book in close and am happy to have less competition for the upgrades so the new policy is good for me, but I'm surprised UA doing this since it's seems likely to piss a lot of people off.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:44 am
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

BTW -- the change fee out of "new money" is distinct from the copay policy and I don't think there is any official word it either way.

At the PDX Do, Shannon said she didn't know yet which way it would be going, but said it was under active consideration, mentioned something about how asking for extra money when a residual is available on the changed ticket is a difficult conversation to have with a customer.

Last edited by 21A; Feb 25, 2012 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This thread is rapidly going nowhere ... the usual PMCO better than PMUA and vice versa garbage rehashed.
Well, as long as the new airline adopts a practice or procedure that results in one customer group losing a benefit they used to enjoy, why should you be surprised? Moreover, why shouldn't we complain when United demands an up-front payment for something we may not even get?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This thread is rapidly going nowhere ... the usual PMCO better than PMUA and vice versa garbage rehashed.
Originally Posted by halls120
Well, as long as the new airline adopts a practice or procedure that results in one customer group losing a benefit they used to enjoy, why should you be surprised? Moreover, why shouldn't we complain when United demands an up-front payment for something we may not even get?
+1

While I agree with UAPE that lots of complaints here and in other threads translate into unproductively blaming PMCO or PMUA, the bottom line is that we're seeing more policies and practices deteriorating than improving in the wake of the merger.

Originally Posted by ErikStratton
In early Sept I booked a EWR-HKG flight on CO for travel the first week of November and requested a upgrade. They deducted the 60K miles immediately, and the $1200 co-pay posted as a charge on my credit card on Sept 7th.

Neither of the upgrages cleared.

My miles and co-pay had not been redeposited/credited post flight. So after a week I sent an email requesting a refund.
No response. So after a second week, I sent a second email.

Below is the response I received on Dec 19th.
--------------

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting United/Continental Airlines.

Please accept my apologies for the refund/redeposit delay. Your refund
request has been forwarded to our Customer Refund Services department
for processing. Please allow 7 to 10 business days for processing and 1
to 2 billing cycles for credit to your statement. Your OnePass Miles
have been deposited into your account.

We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you on a
future United/Continental Airlines flight.

Regards,

L. Franklin
Customer Care Manager
---------------

My $1200 co-pay was finally credited to my credit card on Jan 9th 2012.

So CO had use of my money for just over FOUR MONTHS!
This is adding injury to injury. Not only is the payment required to begin with; it can take months and repeated reminders to get it refunded.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
[QUOTE=21A;18079520]Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

BTW -- the change fee out of "new money" is distinct from the copay policy and I don't think there is any official word it either way.

At the PDX Do, Shannon said she didn't know yet which way it would be going, but said it was under active consideration, mentioned something about how asking for extra money when a residual is available on the changed ticket is a difficult conversation to have with a customer.[/

If it is a difficult conversation that should be evidence of unfairness.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
I wouldn't really care too much about paying the money upfront if I knew UA would promptly and reliably refund the money if the upgrade didn't occur (and if it would help upgrade chances, I wouldn't view it as a negative at all). I'd also like to be sure that I could receive the upgrade refund if I changed or cancelled flights. Unfortunately, I don't have confidence in a reliable, prompt refund.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
How about this wrinkle?

I wonder if someone has thought of this very possible scenario: I pay for the upgrade co-pay months in advance of my flight. It's charged to my Mileage Plus credit card. Because this is a United transaction, not only do I get miles for this, but bonus miles for a UA purchase. The upgrade fails. They will eventually refund to the form of payment, then take away the miles that have been in my account for months -- and maybe even spent or committed to getting another upgrade!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
This reminds me of a buy-up I did a few months back where my first segment (ER4) was canceled, and I was re-routed the entire trip on CRJ-200s, and never got to fly in C. I paid cash to buy up to C for that second segment, and after several requests they refused to refund me, as I still flew and got to my destination, and I kept getting told that upgrades are non-refundable.

I finally had to dispute the charge, and United even countered it the first time, but after my letter back to the creit card company they sided with me.

I never experienced something like this pre-merger, and was quite shocked that they would not refund an upgrade fee when they canceled my flight.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
This is very disturbing. If one requests an upgrade way in advance, the 60 day window to dispute a CC charge passes, and the upgrade does not clear, one cannot dispute the charge. If UA does not refund the co-pay, there is no easy way to get the many back.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FreFly
This is very disturbing. If one requests an upgrade way in advance, the 60 day window to dispute a CC charge passes, and the upgrade does not clear, one cannot dispute the charge. If UA does not refund the co-pay, there is no easy way to get the many back.
Small claims court?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emanon256
I kept getting told that upgrades are non-refundable.
it is an amazing policy - non-refundable upgrades. for me it's quite simple now - i'll never do the buy up. i did it once, had to cancel the flight, and it cost me extra $600. i'll never do it again.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by IL-18
it is an amazing policy - non-refundable upgrades. for me it's quite simple now - i'll never do the buy up. i did it once, had to cancel the flight, and it cost me extra $600. i'll never do it again.
It should be noted that there are two separate issues here: forcing people to pay upfront for an upgrade that may or not happen and what happens when a person buys up to an instantly upgradable fare, as was the case for the person you quoted.

Technically, upgrade fees are refundable when they don't clear or in the case where someone is rerouted and unable to confirm the upgrade again. Whether it ends up happening or requires follow-up is another question (and troubling indeed).

The second case is more problematic - the pax has paid up to a higher coach fare that is eligible for an instant upgrade (Y//B/M). At that point, even if the upgrade is instantly available, you have still purchased a coach fare and by the existing rules are not entitled to a refund if you are downgraded. It's the same thing as having to buy a W+ fare for an int'l upgrade with a SWU for just the CHANCE that you may get upgraded - if you don't, you've paid that extra money for a coach seat in vain.

I find both of these policies highly objectionable, but just wanted to point out the difference in the two and the fact that they both represent standard UA policy.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
Really customer unfriendly policy, and I hope it gets reversed.

On a positive note, I wonder if this will reduce the miles+copay requests and in turn improve SWU success...
Absolutely delightful while it lasts. I never liked people jumping ahead of my SWU on International flights with UFC. This is a change I am going to like since I never use UFC.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Absolutely delightful while it lasts. I never liked people jumping ahead of my SWU on International flights with UFC. This is a change I am going to like since I never use UFC.
UFC puts you immediately into F or C, so UFC won't be going away, and will still jump ahead of you. This just means miles+co-pay pay upfront. So a GM or anyone on miles+co-pay is on the waitlist with you and your SWU.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FreFly
Unless your CC company sucks, you're contesting a charge on the basis of service not delivered, not a charge in error, and you get the 30-60 days from the date of promised delivery.

If your CC company doesn't suck, there's really no limit to how far back you can go - I've charged back charges a year old before (in that case after documenting an ongoing attempt to get the charge refunded by the merchant and getting the run-around.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.