Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Angry United/Continental post-Mar 3 merger: upgrades and co-pays

Has anyone noticed that as of March 3, 2012, the newly merged United/Continental will expect payment of co-pays when wait-listed for International upgrades? For a typical WSTKLG fare btwn the U.S. and Europe that would mean an upfront payment of $550 each way or $1100 roundtrip. United will be sitting on my money from the time I book and request an upgrade until (and if) the upgrade clears. {If the upgrade doesn't clear, United will refund the co-pay.} I can understand charging me for the co-pay when the upgrade clears, BUT charging me months ahead of time?! It's bad enough that United collects the miles-points ahead of time prior to upgrade clearance.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I saw that in the announcement yesterday and was quite upset about it.

It will be a huge gain for COdbaUA. There are often 50+ people on the waitlist for these upgrades, and in the past we only paid when it cleared, knowing it usually doesn't. Now they will get everyones cash, and have to refund it all later. They are probably manging this money and earning a lot of interest on it. I would hate to part with $1,100 for 3 months knowing I probably won't get the upgrade. One of the many reasons I will now book all international trips on other carriers.

Now the scary part, what if they file for bankruptcy, will they then not have to refund us the co-pays if our refund doesn't clear?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Yep - was being discussed in at least one other thread. It's the sCO method, and allows UA to float the cash.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Wow. Things just get worse.

Reading the web site I see:

"My flight departs on or after system conversion*"

AND

"I requested my upgrade prior to system conversion*"

THEN

"Contact United Reservations after system conversion* to provide payment"

Nice.

* The system conversion date is the day the United MileagePlus and Continental OnePass technology systems are converted to a single system. This transition will occur in late in the first quarter of 2012.

You want my money? Give me a call. #fail
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Similarly, my understanding is that when you want to cancel a $500 nonrefundable ticket and apply it towards the purchase of a new ticket, things are a little different. On UA you can buy a $350 flight straightaway. On CO you pay $150 cash and then can buy a $500 flight.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Wow -- thanks for the info -- I didn't realize this was happening. Overall, I have to agree that the merger with Continental has been unfortunate -- United in the aggregate is going downhill from a consumer's point of view. The Continental way is not to my liking.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emanon256
I saw that in the announcement yesterday and was quite upset about it.

It will be a huge gain for COdbaUA. There are often 50+ people on the waitlist for these upgrades, and in the past we only paid when it cleared, knowing it usually doesn't. Now they will get everyones cash, and have to refund it all later. They are probably manging this money and earning a lot of interest on it. I would hate to part with $1,100 for 3 months knowing I probably won't get the upgrade. One of the many reasons I will now book all international trips on other carriers.

Now the scary part, what if they file for bankruptcy, will they then not have to refund us the co-pays if our refund doesn't clear?
This is absolutely outrageous & deserves a firestorm of complaints!!! Perhaps to the Consumer Protection Agency, FAA, or whatever. When I put up a CR-1 or SWU, it sits there sequestered & is returned if the upgrade does not clear. Why should they have the benefit of my (provisional) money to be on a waitlist. Not the same as booking & paying for a flight in advance. BTW, that last quoted remark makes me think of MFGlobal.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:54 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Wow -- thanks for the info -- I didn't realize this was happening. Overall, I have to agree that the merger with Continental has been unfortunate -- United in the aggregate is going downhill from a consumer's point of view. The Continental way is not to my liking.
I don't think this is the "Continental" way at all. It's actually the "United" way, but they are using Continental colours and logos to mask this fact.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by BH62
This is absolutely outrageous & deserves a firestorm of complaints!!! Perhaps to the Consumer Protection Agency, FAA, or whatever. When I put up a CR-1 or SWU, it sits there sequestered & is returned if the upgrade does not clear. Why should they have the benefit of my (provisional) money to be on a waitlist. Not the same as booking & paying for a flight in advance. BTW, that last quoted remark makes me think of MFGlobal.
I can't decide if this is satire or not...
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for posting about this, OP. I wasn't aware of this practice.

In a word: sleazy.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Wow, it's not like these copays are typically tens of dollars, we're talking some serious fronting of cash for a chance at an upgrade. I guess this is the new UA - maybe Jeff will put this in the next pre-safety video:

"We've also made some changes to the way upgrade co-pays work that I think you'll like. Instead of charging you when your upgrade clears, we'll now charge you at the time of request! This means that you won't have to worry about us charging you right before you travel when your upgrade clears. Instead, you'll have peace of mind to use that credit card, maybe even the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, during your well deserved vacation."
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by uxb
I don't think this is the "Continental" way at all. It's actually the "United" way, but they are using Continental colours and logos to mask this fact.
Totally not true. In the past (and currently) United never has charged our credit cards, either when reserved NOR when confirmed. It's only on when the flight actually is in the air!

It may be the idea of a UA staff member, but it's not the UA way.

But it is sleazy! Trashy. Poor business practice.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:38 pm

Yikes! UA Insider is quick to post stuff bragging on how great the new UA is, but neglects to update us on changes like this. Pathetic.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Similarly, my understanding is that when you want to cancel a $500 nonrefundable ticket and apply it towards the purchase of a new ticket, things are a little different. On UA you can buy a $350 flight straightaway. On CO you pay $150 cash and then can buy a $500 flight.
To me, this is even worse! So I now have to pay $150 to not fly? So I have an emergency and I have to pull out my credit card and pay COdbaUA $150 for the pleasure of having a soon to expire $500 credit? I liked the UA way better, I just call and cancel and use my credit later and it's just worth $150 less. This is a deal breaker for me.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Really customer unfriendly policy, and I hope it gets reversed.

On a positive note, I wonder if this will reduce the miles+copay requests and in turn improve SWU success...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.