Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 20, 22, 5:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: char777
Wiki Link
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 7, 18, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
UA.com Only SAN-SFO flight offered. No earlier flight offered.
On an international itinerary, you can have a domestic connection of up to 24 hours, so you certainly could have booked a longer one. If united.com doesn't display the itinerary you want, try googleflights . . . I just searched SAN-FRA and while the first UA option offered is the 54 minute connection, it offers in addition every possible connecting option within 24 hours. You can also get united.com to display all these options by choosing SFO as your connection point under "Search Preferences." Finally, you can also do this by calling.
Old Dec 7, 18, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus View Post
This is one of the good things about high pricing and bad products in intra-EU J - more often than not, plenty of J availability on the next flight in case of IRROPS.

By proactively you mean in case of IRROPS or right now, before the flights? If so, what would be the best approach?

Thanks! Will investigate it beforehand!
findark's reply above is spot-on. In addition, when I have a connection that makes me nervous, I typically do search in advance for options just to familiarise myself with what may show. Inventory will of course change on the day of flying, but I find it helpful to have some recovery options in mind beforehand.

I still am afraid the wait at baggage claim may be the downfall of your connection, but I suppose if you can deal with getting stuck for a day, it's worth trying. Please do let us know how it goes, and best of luck!
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
MCT is purely a planning tool; delay times will not be compared to the MCT for purposes of compensation or the like. I would expect that any delay that caused you to miss your connecting flight would fall under the purview of EU.261, provided it wasn't truly extraordinary. .
EU261 requires that UA provide a hotel, meals, and local transport regardless of the reason of the delay. The "extraordinary" clause is about whether they owe you cash as well. If they don't give you vouchers you can be reimbursed later, though obviously less hassle if you get a voucher on the spot.

Note that EU261 doesn't necessarily kick in if your inbound flight is on time and you miss your connection because you get held up at customs, and possibly neither will your travel insurance depending on what it covers.
Old Dec 14, 18, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
SFO was impacted by a gate hold this morning that threatened to reach two hours.. specifically my frame for later in the day took 2h37 to get off the ground from push, and there were a lot of cranky pilots on the radio. What happened to cause something like that? I know it's in the reverse runway pattern from the wind, but they are running departures on both 10R and 10L with no interruptions so I'm confused what would cause a gate hold.

My best guess is that they swapped from the 28s to the 10s at some point and couldn't manage the resulting traffic snarl.

Meanwhile inbound is restricted to 19L arrivals, so that's bad times..
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: None anymore
Hello friends!

Quick question - has anyone transited through immigration between 6am and 7am within the past few days? How busy has it been? I should be landing on BR8 around 6:20 or so, hoping to get through quick...... But I know some other flights arrive around the same time.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:35 pm

Sorry, I'm done with international for the year (edit: just realised I'm actually not done for the year, but anyway that doesn't matter) and can't answer your most recent question, but typically I think I've not waited much at all at that hour.

However, it reminded me to follow up on this:

Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
The later flight is actually more expensive. Past few days I've looked the morning flight goes out full as well. I'd rather book the first, and if I miss SDC to the next one. Or drive I guess. And I would only use mobilepassport if the line to use the kiosks is really long, otherwise there's no point. Does mobilepassport also get their own immigration officer?

The other issue I'm finding out is the problem isn't my inbound flight, it's my outbound flight. If I fly United I only have more or less one option through SFO and it only gives me a 1 hour connection in SFO, during a time of year with fog, and a history of that particular flight always being late. Chances of misconnecting on the way back are really high, and last thing I want to do is have to take a flight the next day. So I think I'm better off with the EVA itinerary. Even though I get a lot more miles flying UA.............
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't do a separate ticket with a 1hr connection anywhere. If that's all you can find for the return, I don't see any way to make it work.

For mobile passport, because of how the crowd was distributed, it wasn't obvious to me whether or not the separate line got a dedicated officer or fed into the same officer pool, but in either case as long as you get to the front you quickly, you'll get through quickly.
I now think it is standard for mobile passport to get its own officer.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Quick question - has anyone transited through immigration between 6am and 7am within the past few days? How busy has it been? I should be landing on BR8 around 6:20 or so, hoping to get through quick...... But I know some other flights arrive around the same time.
Not the best time to clear immigration at SFO.

CBP - Average Wait Time
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Not the best time to clear immigration at SFO.

CBP - Average Wait Time
Thanks for the link! Super helpful. I fly tomorrow so we'll see how it goes! Now that you can interview for global entry at the kiosk when entering the US I'll do that early next year....when I have more time. LOL
Old Dec 19, 18, 9:43 am

The good news- BR08 arrived early and I had plenty of time.
The bad news- fog is causing rolling delays for my connection.

Some notes since I haven’t flown through SFO since June:
They switched which side US citizens and visitors go to. It looks like visitors now use kiosks and then visit the CBP officer and citizens don’t have to use a kiosk (unless Global entry) and just talk to an officer. That means that you do have to fill out a customs form now (usually if I used a kiosk I never had to fill out a form) unless you do mobile passport. Anywho the solution to all of this is just get Global entry which I’ll do next time I enter.

Additional note, it seems they’ve gotten rid of premier security next to G terminal along with TSA Pre. When I asked about it they said there’s only one TSA Pre now in terminal 3 and it was ‘really full’ which I took her at her word but if I had more time I would have liked to investigate. It was really convenient to have premier security with TSA Pre next to the G gates (the one next to the centurion lounge) right after leaving immigration but now without that it makes connecting more difficult...

I’m curious about when all these changes took place?
Old Dec 19, 18, 10:34 am

Additional note, it seems they’ve gotten rid of premier security next to G terminal along with TSA Pre. When I asked about it they said there’s only one TSA Pre now in terminal 3 and it was ‘really full’ which I took her at her word but if I had more time I would have liked to investigate. It was really convenient to have premier security with TSA Pre next to the G gates (the one next to the centurion lounge) right after leaving immigration but now without that it makes connecting more difficult...
I think you mean the F3 checkpoint. This was first reported about a week ago. They still had Pre there when I last went through at the end of November.
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had heard similar reports about F3... is it permanently dead? At least last time I cleared F1 Pre it seemed more efficient than when I gave it up for the permanent lack of dog-bowls and presence of slow pax.
Old Dec 19, 18, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
At least last time I cleared F1 Pre it seemed more efficient than when I gave it up for the permanent lack of dog-bowls and presence of slow pax.
There can't be more slow pax than G, where foreign passport holders who don't speak English routinely are granted Pre for reasons that are to me utterly inexplicable
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by findark View Post
I had heard similar reports about F3... is it permanently dead? At least last time I cleared F1 Pre it seemed more efficient than when I gave it up for the permanent lack of dog-bowls and presence of slow pax.
Seems to be so, all signage pertaining to premier and TSA Pre is gone.

Clear is there though.
Old Dec 20, 18, 1:12 pm

The good news- BR08 arrived early and I had plenty of time.
The bad news- fog is causing rolling delays for my connection.

Some notes since I haven’t flown through SFO since June:
They switched which side US citizens and visitors go to. It looks like visitors now use kiosks and then visit the CBP officer and citizens don’t have to use a kiosk (unless Global entry) and just talk to an officer. That means that you do have to fill out a customs form now (usually if I used a kiosk I never had to fill out a form) unless you do mobile passport. Anywho the solution to all of this is just get Global entry which I’ll do next time I enter.

I’m curious about when all these changes took place?
The strange swap (machines for non-US, forms for US) was in place in November. You don't need a form if you don't have anything to declare. But it is definitely confusing.

The Premier / Gold Track security at F3 has come and gone a few of times over the past couple of years. I have no idea when or why that happens. I think that was still there in November, but I only looked at the checkpoint as I headed downstairs.

Side note: I have come to feel that Covenant agents are more often churlish than normal TSA (which is already frequently not fun). So I don't have any faith that the presence or absence of the Premier line at F3 has any rational reason for being used or not used.
Old Dec 21, 18, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
The strange swap (machines for non-US, forms for US) was in place in November. You don't need a form if you don't have anything to declare. But it is definitely confusing.

The Premier / Gold Track security at F3 has come and gone a few of times over the past couple of years. I have no idea when or why that happens. I think that was still there in November, but I only looked at the checkpoint as I headed downstairs.

Side note: I have come to feel that Covenant agents are more often churlish than normal TSA (which is already frequently not fun). So I don't have any faith that the presence or absence of the Premier line at F3 has any rational reason for being used or not used.
How far down do you have to walk ((if coming from intl arrivals) until you get to a precheck checkpoint? Maybe it'll be more worth it to just keep walking next time...

Search this Thread