Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:21 pm

Having now gone 3 for 5 with PreCheck (yes: ORD, LAS, SEA, no: DCA, SFO -- not avail.), I'm a huge fan.

If anyone in a position to do anything is reading this, though, DCA is frustrating because of where they've got the scanner set up. It is after you make it all the way through the Premier line, so you have to wait even if the checkpoint is open.

ORD, LAS, and SEA did not have this problem, as at each airport they've got the scanner set up at the very head of the line with a separate branch for the subsequent elite and precheck lines. At those airports my time from walking up to the boarding pass scanner to clearing security has been under 60 seconds. Love it.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Finally worked for me at SEA yesterday.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA: 1K SPG: Platinum Plus Hyatt: Diamond Hertz: PC National: EE
Finally got the magic three beeps at ORD this afternoon. This was after manually checking that my PASS ID was listed in the traveller info for my reservation, which it wasn't so I did it manually. TOTALLY worth the hassle. Wow, super convenient and no line at all. Another guy behind me also went through and was all smiles.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just got this from my TA - may help explain why we're observing so many failures:

Airport locations that have TSA Pre-Check are having numerous failures on customers who were previously eligible based on their Global Entry number. TSA has informed us that a change was made to require an exact name match between Secure Flight Data/DOCS in the PNR and the name on their Global Entry Card.

In addition to entering the Known Traveler Number in the PNR, the Secure Flight Data/DOCS information must include the full name as they applied with Global Entry. In most cases reported, the issue is the middle name missing from the Secure Flight Data/DOCS.
I just checked a past reservation. My name did not match my GOES application (missing middle name as indicated in your post). I got the magic three beeps at ORD.

Originally Posted by beveritt
Finally got the magic three beeps at ORD this afternoon. This was after manually checking that my PASS ID was listed in the traveller info for my reservation, which it wasn't so I did it manually. TOTALLY worth the hassle. Wow, super convenient and no line at all. Another guy behind me also went through and was all smiles.
My suspicion is this is something you have to do. I found my PASS ID was missing from my reservation after I had added it to my MP profile. And the reservation was purchased after UA announced participation in PreCheck and after I added my PASS ID to my profile.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I showed up yesterday at IAH and headed over to Terminal E to clear security, which is where I usually do it when flying UA. After getting my ID and boarding pass check and playing the name game, I got in line, but it quickly became apparent that with but a single whole body imager being used and about 40 people ahead of me, the line was going nowhere fast. Disappointingly, the E checkpoint, which used to be pretty expedient, has become a sluggish mess the last few times.

So, I decided to try my luck at Terminal C, exited the line, ducked under the ropes, took the elevator downstairs, and rode the train in the basement to C. When I entered the security checkpoint at C, I thought I might be in a little bit of grief, with an already TSA-scribbled-on boarding pass evidencing my attempted entry at a security checkpoint elsewhere. Instead, I was funneled into the PreCheck line and cleared security in less than a minute, while keeping my shoes, belt, and suit coat on. Brilliant. ^

I'm not entirely sure what the criteria is for being selected for PreCheck, but I was a Gold elite traveling in first class, and I'm also a member of Global Entry.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I showed up yesterday at IAH and headed over to Terminal E to clear security, which is where I usually do it when flying UA.
Ya, Terminal E security is garbage now. I come in from parking there so always check it, and it's been a mess for my last 4-5 departures... I've only used it once during the last couple weeks. I don't know if people are getting redirected there or more people are figuring out about it.

In any case, glad to hear PreCheck is up, it was supposed to be started on Tuesday. I don't know how the setup works - is the checkpoint to filter people into the PreCheck line all the way out at the entrance, or do we still have to go through the maze to where the previous TSA checkpoint was?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Cleared PreCheck both times I've had to fly out of an airport that actually has it, ORD and IAH. The looks on the faces of the other travelers in Houston was worth the price of the flight.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:19 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
After multiple "three beeps" at locations that were not yet set up for PreCheck, today was my first experience at ORD. It took probably 30 seconds from the initial scan to be walking in the terminal. There was no one else in the Precheck line.

It is very well marked in Terminal 1 at ORD now. http://instagram.com/p/NmIyNUFU3Q/
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've been a GE & NEXUS member for a few years, so added my ID# to my profile a few months back.

It all worked in SEA just now - verrrrry nice and a change I like. I had been annoyed when my full middle name started showing up on boarding passes, but if that's the price, I'm just fine with that.

^^
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Car dropped me off curbside at LAX at 4:30am in terminal 6 this morning. Checked luggage, cleared PreCheck and was at United Club at 4:35. Smoothest and nicest morning experience ever.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just curious - does your wife have GE, or is she eligible based on her elite status? From all the eligibility criteria I've been reading, its supposed to be open to US citizens only.
No GE for either of us, so yes, her case confirms a green card alone with elite status is enough to qualify.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
That isn't accurate; the US Citizenship limitation only applies to eligibility for PreCheck though membership in a CBP TT program. One can still get PreCheck through frequent flier history even if not a US Citizen. There are plenty of reports of that happening.
Originally Posted by dmodemd
No GE for either of us, so yes, her case confirms a green card alone with elite status is enough to qualify.
Your wife's experience doesn't matter; people will still come here insisting that PreCheck is open only to US Citizens despite several experiences to the contrary. It seems people trust an incorrect reading of an ambiguous bungled sentence from the TSA more than actual evidence.

Last edited by Ari; Aug 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Does anyone have any experience with the type of scanners used in Pre-Check? Normally, I choose security lanes that only use traditional metal scanners and opt out when I see the backscatter or millimeter wave detectors.

Which ones are deployed with the precheck lanes?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:32 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landice
Does anyone have any experience with the type of scanners used in Pre-Check? Normally, I choose security lanes that only use traditional metal scanners and opt out when I see the backscatter or millimeter wave detectors.

Which ones are deployed with the precheck lanes?
This is a long thread, so I understand your not wanting to read the whole thing, but the answer to your question can be found in numerous places in this thread. Even just a cursory look would give you the answer.

(The answer is that PreCheck lanes use metal detectors only).
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beveritt
Ditto here. Even though my Pass ID is listed in my United profile, it wasn't propagating to my individual reservations. That is...when checking the Travelers Info on individual reservations, the Pass ID field is blank. I now manually add it to the reservation's Traveler Info field, and now I've been getting the 3 beeps of happiness.

This morning at IAH, I had the line to myself and the only thing I had to remove and stow in my bag on the conveyer, was my cell phone. Wallet, belt, shoes and the rest were good-to-go through ye 'ole metal detector with me. Didn't have to remove anything from my bags. 3oz'ers, laptop, CPAP, all took a ride inside my carryon on the belt and that was it. Amazing. Wonderful. Like going back in time!

Some of the fun my be gone very soon though. I bet every one of those 60+ elites in queue that watched us PreCheckers breeze through, will be applying very soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.