Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by wxguy
The airline has to go "live" with TSA, to put your trusted traveler information into the barcoded information that prints on your boarding pass. UA hasn't done that yet.
The airline doesn't encode your "trusted traveler" info on your BP, only yes/no eligibility for that particular flight.

The proper terminology for PreCheck is "Known Passenger." "Trusted Traveler" is GE, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Can someone explain the program then please? I primarily fly ex-EWR, (though other airports as well, such as JFK, PHL, PBI, and FLL), am GE and MP Premier Gold. I have already put my info into the CO site about Trusted Traveler. Once the program goes live, where will I have Pre-Check? At all Pre-Check airports (because I'm GE) or only at airports for MP Premiers? What if I lose my premier status, or I'm not flying with UA? Will I still have Pre-Check?
You will be able to use it for every departure, at eligible airports, for which you have entered your GE PASS-ID into your booking. For example, if you want to use it when flying AA from LAX, you must have your PASS-ID entered into your AAdvantage profile or booking. Similarly, you must enter it into your DL booking when flying out of MSP on DL. As long as you ensure you have entered your PASS-ID, you will be eligible for PreCheck, regardless of your UA status.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by 14940674
Firstly, providing PreCheck to elite passengers at a specific airline allows the TSA to identify those who fly frequently (elites). These individuals are considered to be less of a threat, and by providing benefits to them, the TSA can build good will with the frequent flyer community.

Secondly, since your PreCheck eligibility is encoded into your BP barcode, and your BP comes from the airline, the TSA must coordinate with the airlines to some extent.
As to 'firstly' at the CO link to sign up for the program you could sign up for OnePass and apply at the same time: no elite status; you don't have to be a frequent flyer to participate.

With GOES I just go to the kiosk, slide in my passport and let the machine fingerprint me. It is not tied to a particular airline. I would think it would be simpler if I just identified myself as pre checked and then provide a boarding pass instead of involving each airline for each check, if indeed that is what is happening.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
Non US Citizens Can Get Global Entry

I am not a US citizen, but was able to get my global entry card, as a green card holder, FYI.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
As to 'firstly' at the CO link to sign up for the program you could sign up for OnePass and apply at the same time: no elite status; you don't have to be a frequent flyer to participate.

With GOES I just go to the kiosk, slide in my passport and let the machine fingerprint me. It is not tied to a particular airline. I would think it would be simpler if I just identified myself as pre checked and then provide a boarding pass instead of involving each airline for each check, if indeed that is what is happening.
I don't disagree with you; rather I am saying that using the airlines has allowed the TSA to also target elites who do not have TT memberships, not just TT members.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
I don't disagree with you; rather I am saying that using the airlines has allowed the TSA to also target elites who do not have TT memberships, not just TT members.
And target non-elites who are not aware of Trusted Traveler as the sign up link exemplifies. In any event you will have to join a TT program to participate. I as a TT member was not made aware of PreCheck due to my GOES participation. I don't think TT members were a targeted audience.

My point is more along the lines that if I were in the PreCHeck program at American, why do or should I have to sign up at every other airline as the PreCheck program is expanded? If I am a GOES Trusted Traveler, why do I have to enter it into my booking? This just seems like one more level of complexity, not security, and another point in the process where something could go wrong. Does the airline need to know that I am a trusted trader for some reason. Or is it just so that the TSA agent scanning my boarding pass is able to read a 'Go' or 'No Go' message on a display?

It seems to me that TSA and the TT programs don't want to or cannot cooperate with each other and their customers (you and I) and are using the airlines to do the leg work and collect the information. TT should just be sharing the information or asking their customers if we want them to share the information with the TSA and TSA should be implementing the program without the airlines having to be concerned about who is or isn't a TT.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Michael D, I agree 100%. If I'm a Trusted Traveler, I should be a trusted traveler. Shouldn't matter the airline or airport I'm using (unless Pre-Check isn't set up yet at that airport, obviously). Whether I'm TT due to GE or because I was targeted as a CO elite is irrelevant. Now, I'm enrolled in Pre-Check. Thus, wherever there's Pre-Check, I should benefit. Once UA gets this into their system, they should be able to encode the BP, regardless of whether I'm flying out of EWR or ORD. Same with AA. AA has in their technology the ability to encode the BP with my TT info. Once Pre-Check is set up at EWR, I should be able to benefit, whether I'm flying AA, UA, or DL. (As long as it's set up at those terminals, obviously.)
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:41 am

It seems that some are more interested in arguing the theoretical than taking the time to understand how PreCheck actually works.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:48 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by dayone
It seems that some are more interested in arguing the theoretical than taking the time to understand how PreCheck actually works.
Good point. Argue that in the Travel Safety/Security forums. Not here. Thanks for your cooperation.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:48 am

The airline doesn't encode your "trusted traveler" info on your BP, only yes/no eligibility for that particular flight.

The proper terminology for PreCheck is "Known Passenger." "Trusted Traveler" is GE, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST.
I think it is if you are a member of one of the above programs you have a 'Known Traveler' number and that is the "trusted traveler" info referenced above. I've not seen a reference to "Known Passenger" yet.

Haha. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 12, 2012 at 10:00 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:53 am

I think it is if you are a member of one of the above programs you have a 'Known Traveler' number and that is the "trusted traveler" info referenced above. I've not seen a reference to "Known Passenger" yet.
Naming is all over the map...

From my AA profile: "Known Passenger"

From aa.com: Both "Known Traveler Program" and "Known Passenger Program"

From the TSA Blog: "Known Traveler Passenger Screening Pilot"
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:56 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
It seems to me that TSA and the TT programs don't want to or cannot cooperate with each other and their customers (you and I) and are using the airlines to do the leg work and collect the information. TT should just be sharing the information or asking their customers if we want them to share the information with the TSA and TSA should be implementing the program without the airlines having to be concerned about who is or isn't a TT.
Maybe DHS doesn't trust the TSA to protect citizens' personal information.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Can someone explain the program then please? ....What if I lose my premier status, or I'm not flying with UA? Will I still have Pre-Check?
Good question re: what happens if you lose status. Also, doesn't the enrollment to Global Entry cost $100 if not 'high' elite (and is it annual fee)?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by seagar
Good question re: what happens if you lose status. Also, doesn't the enrollment to Global Entry cost $100 if not 'high' elite (and is it annual fee)?
$100 every five years (at which point renewal is required).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:35 pm

After avoiding a long line for the second time, I figured I was in the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.