Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by DCBob
TSA Pre✓ is only available at the South Pier Gates 10-22 (Delta and pmCO gates) at this time. I have used it twice this month at DCA for DL flights and both times got the three beeps and LLL on the TSA scanner! I was the only customer in the Pre✓ line on each occasion.
I'm 2/2 on UA flights leaving from these gates at DCA.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Mats
SEA1K4EVER,

Bummer! If you're GE and have your PASSID stored, I'm surprised that you got dinged!

I have GE and Nexus, saved my PASSID in my profile, and it did beep three times at Newark. I couldn't hear the machine at Sea-Tac, but the PreCheck line was closed.

At first, I realized that I had stored my GOES ID, not my PASSID, but I changed that quickly. Likewise, my traveler profile had my first name then "Dr" as part of my first name (it's a degree I earned, not part of my name!), so I had to get that out of my Trusted Traveler profile on united.com.

I'm still ticked that I don't have any United domestic trips planned for quite some time. I try to look on the bright side: the program is expanding, so that should work in my favor eventually, just not right now.

Better luck next time!
Yeah I really don't get why I was not selected. I definitely have my PASSID number in there (which I just double checked now against my card). The only thing I could think of that could be the reason is that my flight was leaving from the B gates and I was using the N gates checkpoint (because that's the only one with PreCheck). I don't think that should make any difference..but it's the only thing that comes to mind as a reason...other than perhaps I was just a random person otherwise eligible that get sent to the regular line. It was disappointing.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yeah I really don't get why I was not selected. I definitely have my PASSID number in there (which I just double checked now against my card). The only thing I could think of that could be the reason is that my flight was leaving from the B gates and I was using the N gates checkpoint (because that's the only one with PreCheck). I don't think that should make any difference..but it's the only thing that comes to mind as a reason...other than perhaps I was just a random person otherwise eligible that get sent to the regular line. It was disappointing.
Stop wondering. It's random selection if you are eligible and aren't selected to use TSA Pre✓. TSA said it's necessary to do this to keep an element of unpredictability for terrorists who think they can beat the system by successfully registering for TSA Pre✓.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I'm a bit confused based on the description of precheck here. I've used it only once in LAS (through AA), and there was a separate precheck line in the elite area that I could self-select to use. In other words, rather than waiting in line for TSA to scan my boarding pass and tell me I qualified, I just got into the precheck "line" - where there was nobody waiting. I imagine if I didn't get selected, I would have been shifted over with all the other elite/F passengers, but I still would have skipped the wait just to have my boarding pass scanned.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by maize&blue
I'm a bit confused based on the description of precheck here. I've used it only once in LAS (through AA), and there was a separate precheck line in the elite area that I could self-select to use. In other words, rather than waiting in line for TSA to scan my boarding pass and tell me I qualified, I just got into the precheck "line" - where there was nobody waiting. I imagine if I didn't get selected, I would have been shifted over with all the other elite/F passengers, but I still would have skipped the wait just to have my boarding pass scanned.
I inadvertently did this today when I went through Pre but my boarding pass only beeped once and TSA directed me to regular line after checking ID. Pre ID check line was 2 deep while regular had 10 people in line. Seems like a way to game system if significant difference in line length.

Don't know if I got caught by random Pre component or if random Pre eligibility is another new united feature. Seems odd I'd be randomly selected the 2nd time I used Pre.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
TSA Pre-Check for UA at ORD Starts Soon!

Just got an email from the Chicago Department of Aviation referencing a TSA Press Release saying that the Pre-Check Program will be extended to UA passengers at ORD in the next few weeks!

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0620.shtm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Got UA Pre at PDX today beat UA GS service

Used the ABC checkpoint this morning early when both sides were something of a zoo. Strangely, my paper boarding pass wouldn't scan (I had checked luggage and gotten one from the kiosk) but I tried by iPhone one and it validated me. Wow - shades of pre 9/11. Took out my phone and a tin of mints, dumped my backpack on the belt as it was, left on my shoes, belt, and windbreaker and zipped right through. Interestingly, this was after I waited in the "Premier Access" line to drop my bag behind everyone who had so much as gotten the UA credit card. So for any of you that think GS still matters let me assure you it seems to matter less to UA by the day.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:15 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
This website http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm claims that SEA and MSP are already set up for TSA Pre-check for UA.

I went through security at those airports less than two weeks ago, and I didn't get to use the Pre-check line. I have Global Entry and I registered for TSA Pre-check on the UA website.

Has anyone had success using Pre-check at those airports?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by uwr
This website http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm claims that SEA and MSP are already set up for TSA Pre-check for UA.

I went through security at those airports less than two weeks ago, and I didn't get to use the Pre-check line. I have Global Entry and I registered for TSA Pre-check on the UA website.

Has anyone had success using Pre-check at those airports?
Lots of reports in this thread of success at SEA and LAS, and some at MSP as well
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:49 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I really would like to believe what he says but I am wondering if we have evidence of someone with a green card getting pre-check that would prove TSA's information posted online to be untrue. Until then, I have to assume their posted policy is correct [if slightly out of date]:

"Certain frequent flyers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate."
Originally Posted by Ari
It is a sentence structure issue and the sentence is ambiguous. By putting the "who are U.S. citizens" at the end of the sentence, it is unclear whether the phrase "who are U.S. citizens" applies to the whole sentence, or only the second half.

Another way to write the sentence would be: "Certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens and certain frequent flyers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate." I believe this is what they actually mean.

If you want stories of LPRs getting LLL, look around the thread on the AA board and I imagine you will find one. If you don't, then perhaps they do have a way of vetting. (I'll look through that thread later, but don't have time right now).
There you have it-- citizenship is not a requirement:

Originally Posted by bocastephen
US Citizenship is *not* a requirement when the airline is selecting you. My friend is neither a citizen nor green card holder, but resident here pending green card. They are AA Plat, soon ExecPlat and AA has been authorizing them for precheck on every flight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know where they're putting the PreCheck lane in ORD T1?

Last edited by Ari; Jun 21, 2012 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Ari
Anyone know where they're putting the PreCheck lane in ORD T1?
Can't say, but I know that the most logical place would be the security lane to the left of the Global Reception, since they have an employee line there already.

Dave
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:21 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bseller
Can't say, but I know that the most logical place would be the security lane to the left of the Global Reception, since they have an employee line there already.
I'm hoping they put it to the left of the current PA line and have it merge with the GS line at the TDC. Otherwise, PA pax rejected by PreCheck will have to trudge back to the PA line by the check-in if they put it there.

Last edited by Ari; Jun 21, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Ari
I'm hoping they put it to the left of the current PA line and have it merge with the GS line at the TDC. Otherwise, PA pax rejected by PreCheck will have to trudge back to the PA line by the check-in if they put it there.
If pax rejected by PreCheck simply funneled into the GS or elite line, this could open the door to gaming the system by non-PreCheck passengers.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Ari
PA pax rejected by PreCheck will have to trudge back to the PA line by the check-in if they put it there.
If UA does it like AA does at ORD, I suspect it will be either where you suggest, or in the line nearer to T2.
One "problem" with the PreCheck line at T3 is that non-status pax can attempt to enter the PreCheck and if they are "rejected" it is easy to use the elite line nonetheless.

I know this for SURE.

Dave
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by palmetto86
I'm 2/2 on UA flights leaving from these gates at DCA.
Oh man. This is exciting. Flying out of DCA tonight. After getting the LLL at SFO last week only to be disappointed, my hope and dreams are renewed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.