Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:34 pm

I was so stoked to finally have PreCheck flying United out of Seattle tonight. To my great disappointment, Checkpoint 5/N was closed! It was 8:30-ish on a Friday; I was surprised that they would have closed the checkpoint.

Luckily, I was spared the radiation and got through unscathed (I'm safely in the United Club as I write this.)

My next trips are on Air Canada and US Airways, so I get to be treated as a presumed terrorist for those trips. Bummer.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is allowing anyone, of any elite level, apply for PreCheck -- not limited to certain elites.
Yes, anyone can apply with UA. UA, unlike US is clear that no further info on success of the request will be provided.
US provides a "pre-check subscribed" box in the profile, of course, that may simply mean we recognize you applied, do not bother us further.
DL is similarly "black" to UA, I was surprised that I had pre-check with DL, and cannot imagine what purpose this lack of info serves.

Originally Posted by Mats
<snip>
My next trips are on Air Canada and US Airways, so I get to be treated as a presumed terrorist for those trips. Bummer.
Reports on here tell me that if the BP is scanned electronically, and if the scanner beeps thrice, you are pre-check approved, and will be permitted entry to the pre-check lane. Further reports state that UA BP's have so beeped before UA is even officially in the pre-check program. (The AC itinerary, if ex-USA, will be international so thrice beeps are not possible because there's no doubt that you are a terrorist, that time.) But if your USAirways flight is from, say SEA, during the annointed hours, it's worth a shot to try the pre-check lane.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTT, AS Gold
Same here. Great experience at SEA. I was pleasantly surprised in that I had only used pre-check on AS prior and wasn't anticipating it when the TSA agent, after checking my ID, steered me toward the pre-check line.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by daslax
Did NOT work for me at SEA this morning. Used the pre-check line up to ID check, but scan of BP did not produce LLL and I was directed to the standard checkpoints. TSA agent told me that ingestion of UA customers was incomplete and they expected all UA eligible customers to be reflected in their systems by 6/21.
Bummer, my next time through SEA is 6/18. Was denied last time, will see f I get lucky this time... think my last name beginning with a V puts me at the end of the list?

Will have my wife with me this time. She is a 1K (earned on her own) but is a green card holder, so officially she is not supposed to be eligible.... any green card holders confirmed if they were able to get through?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:43 pm

My boarding card just beeped three times at the C2 checkpoint at Newark. This happened a few minutes ago. They don't have PreCheck here, but it was reassuring to know that I would be eligible if it were in place. I asked the TDC when they were getting it; she'd never heard of such a thing.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Bummer, my next time through SEA is 6/18. Was denied last time, will see f I get lucky this time... think my last name beginning with a V puts me at the end of the list?

Will have my wife with me this time. She is a 1K (earned on her own) but is a green card holder, so officially she is not supposed to be eligible.... any green card holders confirmed if they were able to get through?
Yes. Despite the bluster to the contrary, US citizenship is not a requirement. ARI had an excellent post on this up-thread.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Yes. Despite the bluster to the contrary, US citizenship is not a requirement. ARI had an excellent post on this up-thread.
I really would like to believe what he says but I am wondering if we have evidence of someone with a green card getting pre-check that would prove TSA's information posted online to be untrue. Until then, I have to assume their posted policy is correct [if slightly out of date]:

"Certain frequent flyers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate."
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by palmetto86
What a surprise this afternoon! Went to the elite line for UA gates 10/11/12, the agent scanned my BP, smiled, and pointed me to PreCheck. She said it started today. Pretty awesome experience all around.
I had the same experience on the same afternoon. It was great! My boarding pass also beeped and generated the "LLL" when scanned on Friday morning at MSY, but unfortunately, that airport doesn't offer PreCheck yet.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really would like to believe what he says but I am wondering if we have evidence of someone with a green card getting pre-check that would prove TSA's information posted online to be untrue. Until then, I have to assume their posted policy is correct [if slightly out of date]:

"Certain frequent flyers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate."
It is a sentence structure issue and the sentence is ambiguous. By putting the "who are U.S. citizens" at the end of the sentence, it is unclear whether the phrase "who are U.S. citizens" applies to the whole sentence, or only the second half.

Another way to write the sentence would be: "Certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens and certain frequent flyers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate." I believe this is what they actually mean.

If you want stories of LPRs getting LLL, look around the thread on the AA board and I imagine you will find one. If you don't, then perhaps they do have a way of vetting. (I'll look through that thread later, but don't have time right now).
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:31 pm

My "Yes" upthread was meant to convey that I have full knowledge of a non-US citizen who has been accorded pre-check privileges a few times with an airline program that has been up and running for some time.

Fact is, the way it's run you can't get advanced confirmation of acceptance, and even if accepted, you or spouse or both, may be denied for that trip without forwarning. So the worry about spouse in or out can't be effectively addressed. Best it will be is most times, yes; sometimes no.

The cynicism about the info posted here really belongs with your default interpretation of TSA's words... How would you conclude that TSA can effectively ID who is a US citizen and who is not?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:40 pm

Well, I got the LLL at SFO. I asked where the pre check line was. Response was, up ahead there is another check for it. Go up very excited to ask the next agent. He spoke very little English and ended with him thinking I was opting out. I smiled and said no.

Talked to a few other CAS agents who did not know about it, but said there were groups being taking a national training facility every day to learn knew procedures and it will take time for all 1,000 employees to attend the training. Interesting, but my hopes were dashed.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:35 pm

How would you conclude that TSA can effectively ID who is a US citizen and who is not?
The same genius way they do most of their checks.... name/sex/DOB matching against various ill-formed lists. TSA is part of DHS which also has USCIS that can easily provide citizen and green card lists. Yes, when it comes to the US Gov policies, I do have some cynicism.

One of my old co-workers is on the no fly list because he has a very common irish name and presumes he matches one or more old IRA members. He doesn't fly enough to make it worth getting a redress #.

Good to hear other green-carders were accepted. I understand there are plenty of other ways to get denied access, just want to know if that factor alone will disqualify you.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:24 pm

The same genius way they do most of their checks.... name/sex/DOB matching against various ill-formed lists. TSA is part of DHS which also has USCIS that can easily provide citizen and green card lists. Yes, when it comes to the US Gov policies, I do have some cynicism.
Good call

The pax involved lists a Birth Date with that airline that would have them over 950 years old. Started out as a missed key, but has never been rejected

TSA moving on to who is a citizen and who is not? Good for the bluster, but in practical application? Not so much.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
US Citizenship is *not* a requirement when the airline is selecting you. My friend is neither a citizen nor green card holder, but resident here pending green card. They are AA Plat, soon ExecPlat and AA has been authorizing them for precheck on every flight.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has anyone used Precheck at LAX with a UA bp at a checkpoint that can eventually (via walking, tunnels, etc) reach the UA gates? Perhaps the DL checkpoint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.