Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
How much is US Airways?

You don't get lifetime mileage credit on US, but you still get miles and EQM.

If you're on single-cabin RJs with no chance at an upgrade, US may be a better option.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And US often has great -UP and discounted F fares which can be cheaper than full Y.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:26 am
Suspended

Super Expensive Fares But Loads of Empty Seats? - TransPac

Hi,

I fly SFO to Australia (SYD/MEL) regularly on Y. Typically pre June 15 flights are $850 since its winter in Australia and not that nice. After June 15 it goes up to $1000. Flights are rarely full.

So I went to book our trip again and Whooooo!

Fares are $1700 (i.e. June 8th return July 9th). I figured I left it too late, but amazingly the outbound flight has 50% empty seats and inbound flight has sold exactly 20 tickets in Y (there are over 200 seats in Y).

What gives? Is this a new United policy or something else? Its definitely not market forces. Who in the middle of horrible recession can afford to spend $6800 on just tickets.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:30 am

I did a mileage run IAD/SYD same time last year for $750. Not this year. UA's fares have become very "optimistic."
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:59 pm
Suspended

The weird thing there is now more supply since delta fly the route nowand far less demand due to the recession so what gives

Originally Posted by inpd
The weird thing there is now more supply since delta fly the route nowand far less demand due to the recession so what gives

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 29, 2012 at 5:32 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Fares headed up this summer

USA Today reported on Friday that analysts believe that fares will head much higher this summer.

Less capacity, higher fuel costs, improved economy all mean that carriers can and will charge a great deal more.

The moral is that if you find a deal now, even if it's not what you paid a year ago, grab it. Always a chance for deals later, but the greater likelihood is that prices will skyrocket further.

And, to answer the question, "who pays $7K for a TPAC in Y," the answer is, a lot of people and more are willing.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Less capacity, higher fuel costs, improved economy all mean that carriers can and will charge a great deal more.
That may be true for some routes but TransPac has higher capacity since this year Delta is now flying daily to Australia and Virgin has increased capacity.

The improved economy is nice, but the Australia dollar is historically worth US$0.66 but is now $US1.07 (that' right the Australia dollar is higher than the US$).

So there is something else happening given the seat maps show near empty flights. I'm guessing its some sort of new pricing mechanism.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:42 pm

"Improved" economy? I keep reading about a "stalled" economy.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The moral is that if you find a deal now, even if it's not what you paid a year ago, grab it. Always a chance for deals later, but the greater likelihood is that prices will skyrocket further.
This is always sage advice.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exerda
This is always sage advice.
I think its bad advice. When flights 2 months out cost $1700 when they could be bought for $850 (yes half the price) at the exact same time last year 2 months out, something else is at play.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:29 pm

I think its bad advice. When flights 2 months out cost $1700 when they could be bought for $850 (yes half the price) at the exact same time last year 2 months out, something else is at play.
Price gouging?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Well, you can always wait and see. IME that almost always results in the fare going up, not down.

The prior poster did say when you find a "deal," book it, vs. waiting to see if it falls. $1700 on that route is not a "deal," unless we're talking W or higher with R inventory available at time of booking--which ran $2200 last year when I was looking at it (and no, I didn't book).
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:29 pm
Suspended

As a rule of thumb, if an August flight is $1,700 now, you should expect to pay roughly $2,040 (up 20%) if you wait until June to buy it.

Last year doesn't matter. But, it's certainly your choice to wait and see.

Originally Posted by JetAway
"Improved" economy? I keep reading about a "stalled" economy.
DL, for example, reported +2% in pax traffic and +13% in net revenue for last quarter. Not sure I'd called that "stalled."

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
SFO-HNL Mid June. UA 2x the price of the rest...

Mid June:

Alaska Airlines $848
American Airlines $998
Delta $620
Hawaiian Airlines $817
United $2021
US Airways $1814

Pretty uncompetitive - why?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djmp
Mid June:

Alaska Airlines $848
American Airlines $998
Delta $620
Hawaiian Airlines $817
United $2021
US Airways $1814

Pretty uncompetitive - why?
Because UA can sell the seat at $2,021 and the others can't. UA has a much rosier downstream outlook and believes that it will sell those seats at the higher price. The others don't think they can and thus lower the price.

That said, if you are looking at a one-off ticket, DL is the best deal and that's what you ought to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.