Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Why are direct R/T fares to Europe so expensive?

Just finished booking three trips to Europe over the next two months and have consistently run into a similar situation with pricing. If you look at a direct roundtrip from one of the eastern US hubs (IAD, ORD, EWR) to one of the major european hubs (MUC, FRA, ZRH), the price for direct flights each way is higher than with a stop.

For example, was looking at a direct IAD to MUC in late Feb, and it priced out at a M fare of approx $2700 for r/t direct flights. However if you add a stop in ZRH on the way it drops it to a W fare of about $1300. If you keep the direct flight on the way out and add a LHR stop on the way back, it prices out at a W fare of approx $1500. Both direct flights show W and Q fare availability, and presumably could be combined into a W fare both ways. I ran into this same situation with all of the various trips I was looking add and was forced to add an extra stop on one of the two legs to get the lower fare class (fingers crossed on SWU). Also, was unable to do a Sat or Sun night stay.

So, forgive my simple ignorance, but why are the r/t's with direct flights pricing so much higher? Is this a long term issue or something more recent?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
Fair point. I still find it counter-intuitive that the longer flights cost so much less, though.
Pricing isn't just off a cost curve, you have to consider the demand curve. People are willing to pay more for a shorter trip time.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:55 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mduell
Pricing isn't just off a cost curve, you have to consider the demand curve. People are willing to pay more for a shorter trip time.
Bingo! Why would someone pay MORE to take longer? Airlines charge a premium over railroads/busses becuase they are faster. The concorde charged a huge premium over even much more spacious/luxurious F travel becasue of speed. Airline can try to get a prmium for non-stop flying because a) it takes less time, and b) there is no risk of a misconnect. For a person whose time is important and valuble, paying more to take longer is very counter-productive. And if you misconnect and miss the reason for the trip to begin with, it is even more of a problem.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by fastair
Bingo! Why would someone pay MORE to take longer?
Segment runners do (on occasion).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:01 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by deirdre
Segment runners do (on occasion).
Airline revenue mgmt systems aren't built around a small % of segment runners, but on the bulk of the business travel combined with the average leisure traveler. To turn the pricing world upside down and lose out on the gains that the majority bring in for a small minority would send the industry into a nose dive.

The "why?" question was fecicious...there are reasons, but those reasons aren't big enough to skew the pricing models to invert.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
True, I was just pointing out an edge case. Himself says it's one of my failings, but I do work in QA.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre
True, I was just pointing out an edge case. Himself says it's one of my failings, but I do work in QA.
No problem...I realized that I asked "why?" when I read your post, hence the explanation of the fecicious question. I left myself open for that response by not clarifying that I was refering to the pricing models vs an actual question of why might a person want to take longer.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:47 pm

This thread reminds me of the old AS ad campaign when they were marketing their purportedly more reasonable fare rubric than other airlines. Here's a good Friday afternoon laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZT9IvH5mC8.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: Flying Club - Virgin
I just wish UK-US was cheaper.....

And that Trans Atlantic upgradable flights were shown.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
UA Flight to Asia is averaging $2500 in August - any reason why?

Not sure if there is a forum where this should belong. Feel Free to move it.
i was looking for a flight on UA from SFO to Asia in August and the price is incredibly high. I was looking at SFO -NRT $2500 on lowest economy and SFO BKK $2600 on economy. On a certain weekday round trip still cost ~ $2300 but this is just crazy. I remember that price is usually around $1100-$1300 for lowest economy class

Is something going on with .bomb? Flight looks empty but ticket price is just ridiculuous.

let me know if anyone knows why.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
AUG is a busy travel month. And UA has a choke hold on that market
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Summer travel in asia is usually high since it's during "peak" season. Usually, this last until Oct and prices start cooling down again in Nov/Dec.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by colpuck
AUG is a busy travel month. And UA has a choke hold on that market
It's WAAAAAAY to early to buy that ticket.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
was hoping to use my Swu to clear early but it does not look like an option at this point. One world flights are all still averaging around ~$1500. it must have been the star alliance requirement or something... Both ANA and UA have the same price. asiana and SQ has a slightly cheaper rates but time does not fit my schedule.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Agree: too early to buy August ticket.

The problem is, if you wait 3 more months for lower fare, upgrade space is gone.

Catch 22.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.