Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
W-fare shock when looking at a possible trip to visit a friend in HKG in May, with pretty flexible dates.

W is nearly 100% more expensive than the cheapest-available Y fare at the moment (K). Around $1950 vs. $1020 on my preferred dates, and $1870 vs. $980 on several alternate dates.

So I could play the SWU lottery on tough upgrade routes like ORD-HKG for double the cheapest Y fare and run the risk of UA selling an UFC to a GM?!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG100, Marriott Plat, United 1K, Hertz Pres, Peasant Rest:)
ORD - CVG ~$650 2-3 weeks out 248 miles
ORD - HNL ~$650 2-3 weeks out god knows how many miles...

Where is logic ?

And I have been flying this stupid flight for the past half a year, weekly.

So not only I spent $13,000+, I also collected a whooping 45 segments... With that money I could have easily had 1k by now....

Where is logic again?

Greg
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Booking BUF to PDX on Monday and can't find anything under 600.00 getting in before 4pm.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1k, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - 5 Star Gold
First International Flight - Do tickets get cheaper with time?

Hi folks,

I'm planning a trip to Germany from the US the first week of August. Right now the cheapest tickets are like $1500 round trip. I couldn't believe they were so expensive. A buddy of mine in Denmark said to wait a couple more months to book and they will be cheaper, is this true? I thought tickets generally got more expensive as time went on.

Also, does anyone know if the United deal where if you find a cheaper flight they'll give you the difference + 10% would work if I booked now and found a cheaper flight with them in a couple months?

As I said, first time flying International and trying to get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks so much for your help
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
August is a busy vacation month. Tickets may not cheaper.

The answer to your second question is No.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Oil (and by extension jet fuel) prices are going nuts thanks to speculators and geo-political drama. Supply is up, demand down, prices higher. Wait, what? I took Econ 101!

Fares for summer will likely only go higher.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:25 pm

Alright thanks for the quick replies guys.

Gonna have to figure out something different, a music festival isn't worth $3000 in airfare for me and my cousin haha
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:09 pm

Oh and side note. Just found out that I'm trying to go out there while the Olympics are in London, that def doesn't help.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:36 am

I should have taken advantage of the "fare lock" yesterday on a couple of tickets I was looking at, WAS-LAS and WAS-PGA. The latter went up over $250 overnight; the former went up about $150. No real reason why other than the L inventory disappearing (it's still more than 90 days out). At this point, I'm gonna hold off and see if it's the "never book Friday-Monday" effect; nothing to lose in waiting until next week.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Integration-related pricing oddities -- DEN-AMS

Was looking at itineraries from DEN-AMS in early April. Last night, I saw lots of options around $1100. Now, UA flights are pricing out at $5k+ and above. CO flights can still be found on ITA and Hipmunk, but can not be booked via Orbitz, co.com or anywhere else that I can find.

I understand that as of tomorrow, there will no longer be any CO-operated flights, but it seems as though UA has pulled the plug on booking any labeled as such at this time.

Guess I'll hold out hope that the same prices will return after the integration has been completed!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GBadger
Was looking at itineraries from DEN-AMS in early April. Last night, I saw lots of options around $1100. Now, UA flights are pricing out at $5k+ and above. CO flights can still be found on ITA and Hipmunk, but can not be booked via Orbitz, co.com or anywhere else that I can find.

I understand that as of tomorrow, there will no longer be any CO-operated flights, but it seems as though UA has pulled the plug on booking any labeled as such at this time.

Guess I'll hold out hope that the same prices will return after the integration has been completed!
Yep, I noticed the same thing trying to price out an itinerary to BER on ITA. I think I'll wait a few days...
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Ditto on a trip to MRS I've been looking at. I'll just wait for things to settle back down.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Hmmm, this wasn't really meant to be a "why is this fare so expensive" thread... More of a "UA appears to have pulled all ability to book CO operated flights" thread.

Oh well...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:54 am

I suspect this is an integration issue, but those WAS-PGA flights I was complaining about yesterday? The ones which jumped $250 on Friday?

They jumped another $1200 today. Yes, $2100 for an economy ticket, on any of the dates within 3-4 days of my schedule.

Frontier is still offering ~$620 tickets around my desired dates. UA is up to over $2100.

Looks like UA is only offering Y or B inventory on a lot of the flights now from the east coast to DEN or PHX (where one connects on Great Lakes to PGA).

I have to assume this is an integration issue and that every single flight to DEN or PHX during nearly a week's period of time isn't suddenly down to only Y & B buckets.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
United Fares are outrageous since this morning!

Has anyone looked to book travel on United.com today? Have they not loaded competitive fare codes yet? I could not find any of my normal travel at a reasonable price. In all cases United was almost double the competition! Is this the new United way of pricing or a United.com issue?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.