Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:02 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by onocoffee
This is United. The home of the most expensive fares in the skies. Welcome.
Maybe they're just good at getting people to fill their planes to the highest fare buckets, on routes that high-paying people want to fly.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:55 pm

I've been monitoring a fare BOS-MSP that has changed every single day since Sunday ranging from $375 on Tuesday to $501 on Sunday. Today it's at $445.
The weekend fares are fares for the Kettles who are gouged by UA in every way conceivable and just keep buying.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
I understand fuel prices going up, merger, etc, etc, but I'm curious as to why United is now $800 more expensive than ALL the competition to fly between ORF-SEA in F. Again, I get that it is always a bit more on United, but $800 more? It used to be 150-200 more, but this is almost too much. AA/DL/US 1100-1200 vs. UA 2000.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:51 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
EWR-SFO 8 months out - fare crazy high. Is it likely to drop?

This year we're having a family reunion of sorts in San Francisco. I was trying to price flights for my parents (EWR to SFO) and the fare was > $700 rt. I never book travel for myself very far out so I'm not sure if the fact that this trip is 8 months away is the cause. Price for April flights (bought post 3/3) is about half that. Can I expect the fare to drop the closer we get to Nov?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:14 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
General advice for everyone:

Use Farecast (or similar). I'm sure that is far more definitive a guess than anyone here could provide.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Will UA decrease first class fares sooner or later, below those quoted by KVS tool?

I may wish to buy a discounted first class ticket from Ottawa Canada to Honolulu, for a trip in mid-June.

Could UA have promotional or sale fares, between now and then, where the fares are lowered from the quotes of QUP fares, as listed by the KVS tool (see below)?

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.6/Diamond - Galileo: Fares/PSH/RU]
Code:
YOW  Ottawa Intl ON CA [CYOW]
HNL  Honolulu Intl HI US [PHNL]
R/T  17 Jun 2012 | First

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis | Travel Period
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  --------------------------
UA         YOW     HNL      2792   CAD    50 Days            QCT50UPN     24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      3071   CAD    50 Days            QHT50UPN     24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      3399   CAD    14 Days            QCT14UPN     24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      3678   CAD    14 Days            QHT14UPN     24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      4885   CAD        ***            BCUAUP       24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      4885   CAD        ***            BUAUP1       24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      4885   CAD        ***            BUAUP2       24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      5231   CAD        ***            FCUA         24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      5372   CAD        ***            BHUAUP       24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL      5755   CAD        ***            FHUA         24 Oct-
UA         YOW     HNL     10318   CAD        ***            F            24 Oct-
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Agree. I used to book one way award and pay one way sometimes to Hawaii. Now fare rules for all Hawaii cities require round trip.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:14 pm

Been watching SFO-HNL RT fares- also running $1200++ in early May (sample date May 4th. Peak travel day: Yes. Peak travel season: Yes. But 1200? That's a ticket to Europe.

UA was booking them into B class fares on their website, despite lower buckets (down to a T fare) as open. Probably didn't meet some min stay requirement, or peak travel times, etc.

Instead, a group of five of us booked AS OAK-HNL for $386 AI
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
April/May is one of the low seasons in HI, surprised the fares don't reflect it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I found if I force a routing thru SAN, it lowers the price to around $750. Still high compared to pre 3/3. .bomb used to automatically show this when selecting a search via price, or even flexible dates. Now you have to force it via the multi city to get the fare down. Even Kayak and Orbitz aren't showing the SAN option anymore.

Work trips that I have coming up are pricing much higher on UA compared to the competition. I have a COS-GSP trip planned for the end of April/early May. UA wants at minimum $450, Delta wants $250. Delta's times work for me, to get UA flights that work for me its actually $650.

But back to Hawaii, I just don't see UA surviving this attempt to charge such high fares to the islands compared to others.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Crazy Expensive Flights

UA is now trending at ~$800 a ticket nonstop for ORD to CUN in November, normally this is a $400-$500 fare...

An even award travel seems to have 0 saver for that time of year... been 0 since the calendar opened up...

Craziness..
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
I saw those kind of price fluctuations for that route in Jan and Feb of last year for travel in March. Prices would shoot up a few hundred $$$ for a couple days and then come back down to the 400-500 range.

I'm guessing same thing is happening now, though with fuel prices being what they are, the prices probably won't go below $500. I would definitely wait it out for a while and see what happens.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by psubill78
UA is now trending at ~$800 a ticket nonstop for ORD to CUN in November, normally this is a $400-$500 fare...

An even award travel seems to have 0 saver for that time of year... been 0 since the calendar opened up...

Craziness..
Just remember, "consolidation is good for the airline industry."

That's a quote from Smi/J at the recent JP Morgan aviation conference.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
CHS to ORD

Did an ITA matrix for CHS to ORD for my Uncle's 50th birthday, showing $378. Was curious if any of the matrix experts could help me find better? Able to fly out any time from Thursday April 19th past 3 PM till Saturday mid morning, party is at 7 PM on Saturday and depart anytime between Sunday morning and Monday, need to be in CHS by 2 PM on Monday if possible. I am willing to do any connections, prefer United or Star Alliance, but anything goes, thanks for any help or advice.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:54 pm

Routing Question

I did a few searches but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, perhaps, I didn't have the right search terms as I am sure others have answered this.

I am looking to fly IAH to SNA May 10th - 14th direct and prices were around $265 r/t a few weeks ago, however, I wasn't ready to book.

They are now up to $480 r/t and other airports are not an option. I searched from AUS (connecting in IAH) to SNA just to see and the tickets are only $230 r/t. This is crazy because you are still taking the same flights from IAH to SNA, just originating and ending in AUS.

When searching the revenue side it appears that there are seats in the lower fare buckets, however, I can't book them directly.

I am guessing that I am SOL at this point? I could do one-way back for $115 and just not board the flight from IAH to AUS. Will my miles for SNA to IAH still count though (I would be flying this segment and it would be the 1st segment of 2)?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.