Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Often1
DL, for example, reported +2% in pax traffic and +13% in net revenue for last quarter. Not sure I'd called that "stalled."
NYTimes, Monday, April 30th Editorial-"The Economy Downshifts." The airline economy, of course, is tied the general economy.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
NYTimes, Monday, April 30th Editorial-"The Economy Downshifts." The airline economy, of course, is tied the general economy.
Correct. Often1 doesnt seem to be reading peoples email.

Consider TransPac

Economy down
Supply up 35 Percent thanks to Delta and Virgin now flying the route more
Empty seat maps

But prices doubled compared to last five years.

I am wondering whats up. Are they going to drop prices or fly the planes empty of passengers?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by inpd
Correct. Often1 doesnt seem to be reading peoples email.

Consider TransPac

Economy down
Supply up 35 Percent thanks to Delta and Virgin now flying the route more
Empty seat maps

But prices doubled compared to last five years.

I am wondering whats up. Are they going to drop prices or fly the planes empty of passengers?
Nope. Just cut capacity if they can't fill seats at profitable fares. The problem with 2007-10 was that the legacy carriers simply cut airfares until the demand filled the aircraft. Now, the better solution is to cut capacity to support the fares.

But, what others seem to miss is that inbound investment to the USA is growing. Not all pax originate xUSA.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Nope. Just cut capacity if they can't fill seats at profitable fares. The problem with 2007-10 was that the legacy carriers simply cut airfares until the demand filled the aircraft. Now, the better solution is to cut capacity to support the fares.

But, what others seem to miss is that inbound investment to the USA is growing. Not all pax originate xUSA.
But consider TransPAC. The planes run only one time a day (midnight) and the planes are huge. The 747s they run seat close to 300 in Y.

Most of those plans are at most half full outbound for the next three weeks and inbound are less than one quarter full. They can't just cancel them since even though they are half full it will still involve shuttling 100's of passengers to the next day's flight (which will also ruin people's connections and annoy them no end).

There's something else involved in these decisions to keep prices so high. I'll report back in a few weeks and see what happens.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think a lot of what goes on with regard to price involves the relative price sensitivity of some passengers. People booking far out want either a low price or a specific carrier. UA wants to sell for as much as possible, so it prices higher. Those looking for the low price will book other carriers. Those wanting UA book UA. Closer to the date of the flight the other carriers have fewer seats left and have collected less money overall. UA is gambling on being able to collect more initially and to be able to charge more than the other carriers for its available inventory closer to the time of the flight. Things typically change between 30 and 60 days f the flight. Prices can, and do, get lower during this time. That does not mean it always happens this way. I've seen this behaviour with CO over the years and I have no reason to suspect it is different now that the merger is complete.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
fares are difinitely higher this year

I have kept a record of my flights for last 10 years. For the routes I take regularly, they definitely cost at least 20-30% more this year than in the past, higher in the summer. For TranPAC flights, the cheapest fare is around $1050 in September, but the W fare is $800 higher (it was only $300-$400 more in the past). Would you buy W fares for 2 and hope for GPU or would you buy L fares for 2 and sit in E+ seats? I know the value and the cost of GPU are relative and all personal choice. Just like to get some advices.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
I have kept a record of my flights for last 10 years. For the routes I take regularly, they definitely cost at least 20-30% more this year than in the past, higher in the summer. For TranPAC flights, the cheapest fare is around $1050 in September, but the W fare is $800 higher (it was only $300-$400 more in the past). Would you buy W fares for 2 and hope for GPU or would you buy L fares for 2 and sit in E+ seats? I know the value and the cost of GPU are relative and all personal choice. Just like to get some advices.
I would only buy W if it had R space available at time of booking. No way would I play a $1600 lottery for 2 pax there.

It depends on the destination as to the price spread for W, incidentally. From deep discount Y (L, K, T) buckets to HKG and SYD, the spread is outrageous IMHO (around $800). From the same deep discount buckets to BKK and SIN, more like the expected $300. NRT and TPE are somewhere in the middle, around $400. KIX is worse, up there with HKG and SIN ($700). Etc., etc.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Row3Acer
I have kept a record of my flights for last 10 years. For the routes I take regularly, they definitely cost at least 20-30% more this year than in the past, higher in the summer. For TranPAC flights, the cheapest fare is around $1050 in September, .

Firstly, I'm not seeing this $1050 in September. This is the total cost including tax and fees?

Also, if you look at flying in May this year its $1800 round trip (TRANSPAC) and in October ... also $1800. So they've changed the way they did things. Used to be TRANSPAC if you booked six month ahead you always got cheap tickets (about $850). I've been doing this for over a decade.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
TPAC fares June/July/August advice?

I've been struggling to find reasonably priced fares from SEA or SFO to PVG from mid-June to mid-July. The fares are all @ $2000 now and if you want to go direct e.g. SFO-PVG-SFO or some such they are approaching $2500 now.

Can anyone give me advice about the likelihood of fares coming down as we get closer to June/July. Or other approaches to finding good fares?

ExperFlyer shows lots of seats available, but no availability in FARE classes V,W,S,T,L,K,G & N in most of the searches I've done.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
DEN - IAH High Fare

I just booked tickets for DEN-IAH-DEN May 22nd outbound and May 23rd return.

United offered for $686 roundtrip for the times I wanted (late afternoon).

Southwest was $289 to Hobby - I did book Southwest. I wanted to book United due to 25K mile offer but just could not justify paying that much more.

This is more than double. Why is that? Flight seem to be wide open and we are still more than 14 days out.

Any idea why other than no once else flies DEN IAH non-stop?

Thanks for your input.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Hub to Hub
Old May 4, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

True. But the SMART ones fly foreign carriers
Old May 4, 2012, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I've been struggling to find reasonably priced fares from SEA or SFO to PVG from mid-June to mid-July. The fares are all @ $2000 now and if you want to go direct e.g. SFO-PVG-SFO or some such they are approaching $2500 now.
Fly midweek. I'm seeing mid-July fares on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for $1650 to $1700 for one-stops ex-SEA (via SFO or LAX), and as low as $1500 ex-SFO with one-stop in LAX (the nonstop prices ~$1700).

Unfortunately if you're thinking of using a SWU, these are all K and L fares and thus not eligible; the W is of course pricier. I do have to admit these seem high for K & L fares!
Old May 4, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
No SAT night stay. They have a $269.00 fare for that weekend.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by exerda
Fly midweek. I'm seeing mid-July fares on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for $1650 to $1700 for one-stops ex-SEA (via SFO or LAX), and as low as $1500 ex-SFO with one-stop in LAX (the nonstop prices ~$1700).

Unfortunately if you're thinking of using a SWU, these are all K and L fares and thus not eligible; the W is of course pricier. I do have to admit these seem high for K & L fares!
Thanks exerda. I'm trying to fly UA and I've pretty much searched every combination of flights starting @ June 19th to @ July 18th and it's almost uniformly over $2000. I'm very flexible on schedule and can wait it out if it's possible the prices will come down. When I look at available seats on ExpertFlyer E+ is very open, First and Business are very open and coach is about 1/2 full.

The only kind of upgrade I'd do would be cash and miles.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.