Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Wikipedia's Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Consolidated "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"
Print Wikipost

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:03 pm

So what if I actually was going to fly to L.A. and let's say that for medical reasons I had to stay in Houston.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oavcech
So what if I actually was going to fly to L.A. and let's say that for medical reasons I had to stay in Houston.
As there is no LAX-IAH segment on your ticket they would know what you are doing if you call and say can't do the LAX flight. Then there is the chance they will adjust your fare to the 600 you are trying to avoid paying or even higher if that fare is not available anymore.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:15 pm

Well... I do believe that they will cancel my return flight but all the stories that I've heard or seen here at FT are satisfactory.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you book MEX-IAH-LAX // IAH-MEX, and you can't take your IAH-LAX for some really good reason (illness, death in the family) you might be able to convince a human being to help you out -- probably they would charge you the fare difference to change your flight to MEX-IAH // IAH-MX but they might waive the change fee.

I'm a little surprised you're unable to book MEX-IAH-LAX, and then a separate ticket IAH-MEX. Are you sure the fares you're buying have round-trip requirements?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:22 pm

+1. Your best and safest bet is to call and ask what the fare difference would be if you dropped the last segment. It gets real messy and possibly really costly as you may end up paying for a Y ticket for your return ticket back.

Even if you claim medical issues -- they probably say you are out of luck unless if you purchased trip insurance (even then, i'm not 100% sure what they cover) -- trip insurance requires proof as well.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well... I do believe that they will cancel my return flight but all the stories that I've heard or seen here at FT are satisfactory.
Sometimes they are even over stingy about this. Been posts about people who were actually on a flight but for some reason the BP reader didn't register them and the rest of their itinerary got canceled then they had to fight to get it restored.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:26 pm

If I book them separately it will cost me a lot more.
If I did happen to travel and they cancel my trip my only excuse would be that I had to stay at Houston for medical reasons (my actual trip is for medical reasons) and that I had a flight with another airline from L.A. to Houston but lost it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If I book them separately it will cost me a lot more.
If I did happen to travel and they cancel my trip my only excuse would be that I had to stay at Houston for medical reasons (my actual trip is for medical reasons) and that I had a flight with another airline from L.A. to Houston but lost it.

Which is still a violation of the fare rules and may or may not elicit the sympathy you're seeking.

Another way of trying it is insisting you flew to LAX and acting like they're crazy.

But with the distance between IAH and LAX, it seems quite suspect and may raise an eyebrow or two, as people don't typically drive between LAX and IAH.

Have you looked at flying MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH? That may be cheaper than MEX-IAH.

There are other markets with cheap MEX fares as well (SFO, SMF, etc. can often be inexpensive). If you have the time, you may want to combine something that works for you price-wise and adds a bunch of miles.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by channa

Have you looked at flying MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH? That may be cheaper than MEX-IAH.
Do you mean MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH-MEX?
I checked and it's only 290 USD which is great
But I would end up not using 2 flights.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Do you mean MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH-MEX?
I checked and it's only 290 USD which is great
But I would end up not using 2 flights.

Yes, that's what I meant, but I meant fly all of it (e.g., MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH (stop) IAH-MEX).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

No I'm booking them all together.
So they will cancel my return flight??
Yes, they will cancel your return flight. There is almost no chance that they will not cancel it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:12 pm

Yes, that's what I meant, but I meant fly all of it (e.g., MEX-IAH-LAX-IAH (stop) IAH-MEX).
Oh well.. I will just be 48 hours in Houston so I don't think this is the best thing to do.
So it's 100% sure they will cancel my ticket?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
The OP wants to spend two days at IAH. I cannot imagine he will find any fare rules which permit a two day connection, so this would probably break down as MEX-LAX, LAX-IAH, and IAH-MEX.

It would be surprising to see the cost of MEX-LAX + LAX-IAH being substantially cheaper than just buying the MEX-IAH flight and being satisfied that one isn't spending most of a day on planes to save a few bucks.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:22 pm

After all it is cheaper to fly MEX-LAX-IAH-MEX than MEX-IAH-MEX
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh well.. I will just be 48 hours in Houston so I don't think this is the best thing to do.
So it's 100% sure they will cancel my ticket?
Yes.

Try other routings like MEX-LAX-IAH-LAX-MEX or some other connecting city. Sometimes doing a connection saves money over a non-stop. Other than that I don't there is anything else we can help you with. If nothing saves the money you want you just may have to take the non-*A flight and give up on the miles if it is the cost that is prohibitive for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.