Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Wikipedia's Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Consolidated "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P

Will be ending my stay in Europe soon and will be flying one-way back to the US.

One-way price is 4 times the price of RT. I would like to book on UA, for the flight and CC miles. Does anyone have any experience with a TATL throwaway? A search reveals plenty of hidden city experiences, but not much throwaway data, especially international. Looking for practical, not philosophical advice.

Likelihood of this drawing attention? Better to fly UA metal or a codeshare on LH? Or a mix - UA metal Eur-US, LH metal on the throwaway (or vice versa)? Better to schedule throwaway for summertime or put it off until, say, January?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't sweat it, but check student travel websites (like STAtravel.com) if you happen to be eligible for a student ticket (you probably have to call in for flights originiating outside the USA). For some reason, they are able to price o/w tickets and sometimes not much more than 1/2 the r/t price.

Also check NZ. They offer competitive o/w fares form LHR-LAX.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by petemoss14
...Likelihood of this drawing attention? ...
no direct experience, but higher doubt a single occurrence of any 'irregular' travel would draw any attention -- too many legitimate reasons to have a change in travel plans for UA or any airline to chase down such a situation unless a repetitive pattern is noticed.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:49 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by petemoss14

Likelihood of this drawing attention? Better to fly UA metal or a codeshare on LH? Or a mix - UA metal Eur-US, LH metal on the throwaway (or vice versa)? Better to schedule throwaway for summertime or put it off until, say, January?
Doesn't matter - don't worry about it. Unless you're doing this very regularly, nobody will hassle you. Just buy the cheapest fare.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: UA G
Buy the cheapest fare and schedule the return far in the future. Who knows, you might be able to use it as half of a ticket back to Europe for a vacation
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I did this when I moved to the US and just called a week before my return was due to say that I'd made different plans and wanted to cancel. No problem at all.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by mjg59
I did this when I moved to the US and just called a week before my return was due to say that I'd made different plans and wanted to cancel. No problem at all.
Did they try to charge you for canceling?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Considered another airline?

You may want to check Air Berlin. They have inexpensive one way fares from Germany to the US.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I have done this several times although every time the plan was for me to use the entire RT ticket. No one ever bothered to check and I have never had any issues with my future flights with the same airline.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It's not a problem. I suspect it happens quite often.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:42 pm

Another topic of Throwaway Ticket.

I've seen several pages about throwaways tickets but most of them are about not using the return flight.
So here is my situation:
My final destination is Houston for two days.
I'm flying from Mexico City and the non-stop flights cost 441 USD with Aeromexico and 600 USD with Continental.

But I found this:
MEX-IAH-LAX
IAH-MEX

So obvious question, I'm not planning in taking the IAH-LAX flight and I know because I'm coming from an international flight I get to pick my baggage at Houston. But will there be any problem for my returning flight to Mexico City?
I've heard they even might take your miles away, should I give my UA or CO FF number?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oavcech
I've seen several pages about throwaways tickets but most of them are about not using the return flight.
So here is my situation:
My final destination is Houston for two days.
I'm flying from Mexico City and the non-stop flights cost 441 USD with Aeromexico and 600 USD with Continental.

But I found this:
MEX-IAH-LAX
IAH-MEX

So obvious question, I'm not planning in taking the IAH-LAX flight and I know because I'm coming from an international flight I get to pick my baggage at Houston. But will there be any problem for my returning flight to Mexico City?
I've heard they even might take your miles away, should I give my UA or CO FF number?
If you are a no show on the LAX flight there is a good chance they will cancel the remainder of your itinerary if this is all one ticket. Unless you are buying these as 2 separate one way tickets then there won't be a problem You just won't get any credit for the LAX flight.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:50 pm

No I'm booking them all together.
So they will cancel my return flight??
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oavcech
No I'm booking them all together.
So they will cancel my return flight??
Most likely.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you do not show up for a segment on a ticket, there is a very good chance they will cancel the rest of the segments on that ticket, even if they are different airlines. So yes, they will probably cancel your return flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.