Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Throwaway Tickets , such book RT and only use OW - any issues with UA?

Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Related threads
UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com
United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers

Archive thread: Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Caribbean (preclearance to US) - ORD - Canada (overnight layover in ORD)

Will I have access to checked luggage in ORD in this scenario:

Caribbean (preclearance to US) - ORD

Overnight layover 12 hours

ORD - Canada throwaway
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Will I have access to checked luggage in ORD in this scenario:

Caribbean (preclearance to US) - ORD

Overnight layover 12 hours

ORD - Canada throwaway
Only if the luggage is only checked to ORD; otherwise, with a pre-clearance airport your arrival in the US is treated as a domestic connection.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:09 am

you’d have no trouble getting the UA check-in agent at NAS to accept your request to tag your luggage to just ORD. a gal needs her suitcase during an overnight in Chicago.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Only if the luggage is only checked to ORD; otherwise, with a pre-clearance airport your arrival in the US is treated as a domestic connection.
Ok, I understand how the preclearance is treated.... my question is different: how is a domestic to ORD (overnight layover) to Canada connection treated anyway? Do you automatically have to get your luggage anyway in ORD with UA? Or would they ever hold it overnight?

Originally Posted by Colin
you’d have no trouble getting the UA check-in agent at NAS to accept your request to tag your luggage to just ORD. a gal needs her suitcase during an overnight in Chicago.
Some of these agents in Caribbean airports are not very flexible. Are you pretty sure about that? And my question is more what the default is in ORD with UA. Do they hold bags overnight as a default?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 10, 2020 at 2:51 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:10 am

by default, i’d suppose the UA agent’s computer at NAS would print a bag tag to just ORD. however, regardless of default, there no UA check-in agent in the world that would refuse a request to tag a bag only to the city where you are spending the night. people need luggage to overnight somewhere. everyone and his dog accepts that.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
.... Some of these agents in Caribbean airports are not very flexible. Are you pretty sure about that? And my question is more what the default is in ORD with UA. Do they hold bags overnight as a default?
ORD has no impact on this, it is what the agent does at the origin. The UA default for an overnight is not to check thru. But it is a bit at the agent's discretion, so there is a small risk the bags will be checked thru to the destination -- you can ask not to be checked-thru, but best not to state you are gaming the fare by HCT.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by jsloan
Or, for certain airports, if the passenger is making an international-to-international connection -- so be careful if trying to do HCT on a ticket through to another country.

Also, there was a pilot program operating this summer at IAD that sent connecting bags from certain flights through customs without having them reclaimed first. It's not currently operating, but it could be reintroduced at any time.
The other gotcha for IAD is that if you have a checked bag, you have to clear immigration/customs in the basement of terminal C, not the main terminal. There is no way out of the airport with your checked luggage from there. You have to recheck it and then clear TSA security into terminal C. If you have no checked luggage, you can go to the main terminal.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by droopydog
The other gotcha for IAD is that if you have a checked bag, you have to clear immigration/customs in the basement of terminal C, not the main terminal. There is no way out of the airport with your checked luggage from there. You have to recheck it and then clear TSA security into terminal C. If you have no checked luggage, you can go to the main terminal.
Agreed, but, also, the IAD pilot program could easily be introduced at any other airport without notice. They didn't warn travelers about the IAD program -- they just put a sign up saying "if you're connecting from A, B, or C to another international flight, your bags have been transferred automatically" or somesuch.

US airports seem to be moving more and more toward a combined immigration / customs check prior to baggage claim, where they will flag people who need additional screening once their bags have been unloaded. It's not a stretch to think that they will start to transfer bags automatically for all passengers except those who get flagged.

Someone considering HCT has to weigh many risks. This is one. It may not be a large one, but it's still a risk.
droopydog likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:03 am

it is zero risk when easily ticketed with an under 24 hour overnight at the hidden city, something permitted on all international fares
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
US airports seem to be moving more and more toward a combined immigration / customs check prior to baggage claim, where they will flag people who need additional screening once their bags have been unloaded. It's not a stretch to think that they will start to transfer bags automatically for all passengers except those who get flagged.
I noticed this at SFO although didn't really process it since I was at a hurry. I showed my GE slip at immigration, walked past baggage claim, and there was no further check or gate between that and landside.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
it is zero risk when easily ticketed with an under 24 hour overnight at the hidden city, something permitted on all international fares
Correct, assuming that there is (a) another flight to the "destination" within 24 hours of arrival and (b) availability on that flight in the correct fare class. I do recommend that anybody trying HCT to an international destination use investigate that approach, though.

Originally Posted by findark
I noticed this at SFO although didn't really process it since I was at a hurry. I showed my GE slip at immigration, walked past baggage claim, and there was no further check or gate between that and landside.
Exactly. I suspect we'll see more of this as air travel volumes continue to increase.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:45 am

Agreed, but, also, the IAD pilot program could easily be introduced at any other airport without notice. They didn't warn travelers about the IAD program -- they just put a sign up saying "if you're connecting from A, B, or C to another international flight, your bags have been transferred automatically" or somesuch.

Someone considering HCT has to weigh many risks. This is one. It may not be a large one, but it's still a risk.
IAD is somewhat special due to the midfield terminal immigration. Was there a time where midfield immigration didn't exist, and it behaved like any other airport (everyone has to go thru normal customs/immigration, pick up bags, then either exit airport or recheck for next flight)

That saying, MIA has I-I transit without having to touch bags, they could extend I-I to more airports, or even for I-D, given your comments about the new customs/immigration workflow
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
IAD is somewhat special due to the midfield terminal immigration. Was there a time where midfield immigration didn't exist, and it behaved like any other airport (everyone has to go thru normal customs/immigration, pick up bags, then either exit airport or recheck for next flight)
IAD has that also, if you're flying in on an airline that uses the A terminal. It's just the *A flights that go to midfield.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
That saying, MIA has I-I transit without having to touch bags, they could extend I-I to more airports, or even for I-D, given your comments about the new customs/immigration workflow
Houston also has I-I transit without touching your bags. (As does Guam, but that's a bit of a special case because Guam has special immigration and customs rules).
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, AS
So I'm looking at the following options:

A city in on the Italian/German/Austrian border to a city in Germany to Seattle and then to a city in South Western Canada. However I may get off in Seattle....

OR

Munich to Frankfurt and then just to Seattle. Both price out the same.

I'd be coming from Northern Italy, so the airport in Austria is closer. Do you tell anybody my family decided to pick me up in Seattle instead of the other city? I figure if I have a bag, I have to collect it on international arrivals anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN
Hidden City Additional Loophole - Return Flight

Booked a last minute hidden city ORD->NYC->YYZ departing in 3 hours to get from ORD to NYC.
ORD->NYC itself cheapest option was $258, hidden city had it at $75.

Seemed to find another loophole here that I don't plan to use but could be valuable, yet unethical way more so than the last minute hidden city flight.
Since I "missed" my connection to Toronto, United lets me choose an alternate routing. It's unclear if there is some sort of waiver in place and I did not see any additional fees associated with this, but I have the option to book NYC->YYZ with a connection in ORD up to 4 days later.

Essentially, I now have a last minute RT ticket from ORD->NYC for $75.
Not to open debate between ethical, legal or not as it relates to hidden city, but curious if this has been used successfully in the past for a RT ticket between popular cities.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.