Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Throwaway Tickets , such book RT and only use OW - any issues with UA?

Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Related threads
UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com
United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers

Archive thread: Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:45 pm

SYD to LAX to HNL . 11 hour layover

Will I be able to have my bags checked for pickup in LAX?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn

Int'l arrival, you HAVE to pick them up to go through Customs
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Since this has been posted in the hidden city thread. Is the intention here to "no-show" on the LAX-HNL flight?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

As mentioned, it is required that you reclaim your bags at LAX to clear US customs.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:25 am

Delete
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by Dpetryszyn; Feb 23, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yes
Drop off your luggage, and enjoy LA (unless you are heading elsewhere, then enjoy [insert ultimate and actual destination here, at your discretion] )
nomad420 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Your bags must be claimed at LAX no matter what. I take it this is a one-way (ie no intended return to SYD)?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your bags must be claimed at LAX no matter what. I take it this is a one-way (ie no intended return to SYD)?
I would hazard a guess this is for return segments - HNL to LAX to SYD to LAX - HNL
Dropping the last segment is common as long as it is not done on a regular basis.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Yes
I assume this was a one way ticket. If not be very careful they may cancel out your return for the no show on the LAX - HNL leg.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nomad420
I assume this was a one way ticket. If not be very careful they may cancel out your return for the no show on the LAX - HNL leg.
It's not 'may' it's 'almost certainly will'!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's not 'may' it's 'almost certainly will'!
Agree but didn't want to totally freak out the OP. Having said that I have heard of some cases where it apparently wasn't caught on domestic flights but admittedly rare. More often I hear the horror stories of canceled return legs being discovered as they show up at the airport to check in for their now canceled return flight.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nomad420
More often I hear the horror stories of canceled return legs being discovered as they show up at the airport to check in for their now canceled return flight.
Agreed. Always better to know the consequences that decisions have.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:53 pm

What happens if someone actually does get sick (i.e. having COVID symptoms) on the first leg of a round trip ticket? Could you contact them and ask them not to cancel your return ticket?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How is this a Hidden City ticketing" question? Is this a way to get out of taking a segment and retain a return ticket?

Originally Posted by cstu11
What happens if someone actually does get sick (i.e. having COVID symptoms) on the first leg of a round trip ticket? Could you contact them and ask them not to cancel your return ticket?
I'm confused you can call but would not you have completed travel to the ticketed destination? Are you suggesting you suddenly determined you had COVID part way thru your travel day?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How is this a Hidden City ticketing" question? Is this a way to get out of taking a segment and retain a return ticket?

I'm confused you can call but would not you have completed travel to the ticketed destination? Are you suggesting you suddenly determined you had COVID part way thru your travel day?
I searched something like "missed leg of flight" and found this. Doesn't it happen that people get sick, especially with COVID here? I haven't flown since before the pandemic and that's why I asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.