Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Throwaway Tickets , such book RT and only use OW - any issues with UA?

Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Related threads
UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com
United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers

Archive thread: Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions" {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by J31415
Looking for some advice. I need a return flight from Tokyo to New York. I booked HND-EWR-IAH-GUA for 37.5k United Miles (similar to the price before the devaluation). Is there an advantage to targeting certain cities in Central America or the Carribean. (for example, I found HND-EWR JFK-GUA for 41.3k. Maybe the forced manual switch airport will be easier to skip the last leg, as I can make up some excuse as to why I couldn't get from EWR to JFK? Or should I try something like HND-EWR-SDQ where United only flies to SDQ out of EWR) I plan on checking bags and taking advantage of the requirement to clear customs at EWR to skip all further segments. United is charging 55k for the HND-EWR directly. This is my first time skiplagging and don't plan on doing it regularly. Any datapoints on getting in trouble for doing this once? It is an award ticket so I can't hide my account.
United sees your final destination as GUA, so you may be re-routed to something like HND-LAX-GUA in case of IRROPs. United would have a duty to transport you to GUA, and not EWR. Perhaps the likelihood would decrease if you'd update the itinerary to JFK-GUA on AV.

At the end of the day, the likelihood would be small in the first place, so you need to assess your own risk tolerance. One time hidden ticket should be no issues.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
United sees your final destination as GUA, so you may be re-routed to something like HND-LAX-GUA in case of IRROPs. United would have a duty to transport you to GUA, and not EWR. Perhaps the likelihood would decrease if you'd update the itinerary to JFK-GUA on AV.

At the end of the day, the likelihood would be small in the first place, so you need to assess your own risk tolerance. One time hidden ticket should be no issues.

Many thanks for the advice! Will United know if I miss take the HND-EWR on United metal but then miss the JFK-GUA leg on Avianca metal given its not their own metal? Also, I should be safe to check bags because I have to clear customs (and also change airports) right?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by J31415
Many thanks for the advice! Will United know if I miss take the HND-EWR on United metal but then miss the JFK-GUA leg on Avianca metal given its not their own metal? Also, I should be safe to check bags because I have to clear customs (and also change airports) right?
United will know if flights are on own metal. United will know when partner reporting showing you as no show, but it's all behind the scenes via data transmission. There are no human intervention unless someone requests data review.
​​​​​​
Will anything happen (to you)? No.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:47 am

HCT - last leg domestic

Looking for award tickets, found one from INDIA-SIN-SFO to be ~300k
But, changing the final destination to LAS reduced the price to 175k.
Route is still - INDIA-SIN-SFO-LAS.
What is the best course of action to get off in SFO?
Since we need to re-check bags in SFO anyway, is it okay to get-off in SFO and
1. ask to cancel rest of the legs (or)
2. no-show

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hellestbwoy
Looking for award tickets, found one from INDIA-SIN-SFO to be ~300k
But, changing the final destination to LAS reduced the price to 175k.
Route is still - INDIA-SIN-SFO-LAS.
What is the best course of action to get off in SFO?
Since we need to re-check bags in SFO anyway, is it okay to get-off in SFO and
1. ask to cancel rest of the legs (or)
2. no-show

Thanks in advance!
#2 - clear immigration and custom, and just leave - easy peasy.

For #1, when you say rest of legs, you mean just the SFO to LAS segment? Also, do not ask UA if there are any refunds wirh the unflown domestic segment.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:02 pm

For #1, when you say rest of legs, you mean just the SFO to LAS segment? Also, do not ask UA if there are any refunds wirh the unflown domestic segment.
united is very willing to refund the residual value (calculated on a percentage of total distance basis) for unflown segments on paid reservations that have experienced a schedule change or a flight delay.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
united is very willing to refund the residual value (calculated on a percentage of total distance basis) for unflown segments on paid reservations that have experienced a schedule change or a flight delay.
But why even risk human intervention for some small amount of miles? This is hidden ticketing.

Also award flying if you read the post from the OP.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:35 pm

But why even risk human intervention for some small amount of miles? This is hidden ticketing.

Also award flying if you read the post from the OP.
a schedule change or a flight delay are perfectly valid reasons to not fly a final segment. united will happily refund, on a generous distance basis (hint, make the the throwaway segment longer like central america). it was bad advice to leave this value on the table.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
it was bad advice to leave this value on the table.
Bad advice? How can it be bad advice if I didn't even mention it?

I am not making any assumptions about schedule changes or flight delays.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 11:31 am

​​​​​​​thanks for your response!

I wasn't going to ask for residual value at all. Only motivation was to stay in good standing with United.
EmailKid and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by hellestbwoy; Dec 5, 2023 at 11:33 am Reason: forgot to quote
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Does anyone have a good gauge on how many hidden city occurrences it would take for UA to intervene? I've never done it, but I am curious...
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Does anyone have a good gauge on how many hidden city occurrences it would take for UA to intervene? I've never done it, but I am curious...
None of us have any idea, but I wouldn't do it more than a couple of times. Big Data(TM) is a pwerful tool.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:58 pm

a couple times a year is fine
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Thank you. If the return is Europe-US-Canada and I want to get off in US (SFO), I would have a chance to grab my checked luggage, yes?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 9:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Thank you. If the return is Europe-US-Canada and I want to get off in US (SFO), I would have a chance to grab my checked luggage, yes?
​​​​​​
At most US ports of entry, you must claim your bags and go through customs, then re-check your bag before connecting onward. At many of those airports, you could take your checked bag and exit the secure area and leave the airport without re-checking it.

It's been a couple of years since I entered via SFO, so I won't swear you can still do this, but last time I went through, it was an option.

Worst case, go to the baggage office near baggage claim, state you had a change of travel plans, and ask if they can pull your bag. It's not guaranteed, but depending on how long of a connection you have, it's possible they will accommodate. Keep in mind that they more contact with humans you have, the more likely someone is to see red flags, so if you can just exit with your bag after customs, that's the easiest approach.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.