Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft and now PDE equipped aircraft to offer Channel 9

2) For discussion on issues and availability on Channel 9 equipped aircraft, see Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.
Print Wikipost

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Some discussion toward the end of this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

You can always look it up here:
https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite

As of now, at least the non-HI 764s all have it, and there are non-zero reports of it being on (though it wasn't on for the one flight I've taken on such a bird).
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus AAdvantage La Quinta Returns
Any one know when/ifs on CH9 on the preCO Birds

Does any one know when/if the rest of the PMCO birds will get CH9 If my research is correct only the 764s have CH9 the rest of the PMCO fleet does not
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL4life

So what does this mean? Are there still plans to add it? I hope it's not as I fear; a case of United silently hoping that no one will notice its quiet disappearance. As we lose more and more pmUA aircraft this year we have to remember we are losing ch9 as well.

Not that anyone cares (which I hope united is not secretly banking on.)
Without any internal UA insight, I would say that management just grossly underestimated the equipment change efforts for all the upgrade. If you recall, WiFi was supposed to be on a significant number of aircraft by the end of 2012, but that of course has been pushed back officially as well. Changes, regardless of size take time... Hopefully.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orff
...management just grossly underestimated...
This might be the problem with the entire merger
Old May 12, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
No CH 9 on wifi-enabled aircraft?

I read in another forum ( http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5759569/ ) that planes getting the wifi/streaming IFE mods may not have CH 9 anymore.

"As with Wi-Fi, United will eventually offer the streaming product for purchase, although United initially plans to offer some complimentary content.

The move to Wi-Fi and streaming entertainment also means that live air traffic control will no longer be available via Channel 9, although we are exploring options to bring it to Wi-Fi equipped aircraft. United will continue to offer Channel 9 across much of the rest of United's fleet, including on all international long-haul and p.s. aircraft featuring on-demand entertainment."
This is supposedly a official UA communication but I haven't seen it anywhere else. Anyone able to confirm or deny this?
Old May 12, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Check this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nel-9-etc.html
Old May 12, 2013, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryu2
I read in another forum ( http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5759569/ ) that planes getting the wifi/streaming IFE mods may not have CH 9 anymore.

This is supposedly a official UA communication but I haven't seen it anywhere else. Anyone able to confirm or deny this?
I note UA said "all international long-haul [...] featuring on-demand entertainment." Is that actually true, though? The sCO 772 I flew IAH-NRT didn't have the "From the flight deck" audio channel available (they did have the map, though it was a different format than the sUA IPTE one).
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Channel 9 now available on sCO 777!

Just got into Beijing on UA 89 from EWR, and lo and behold, Channel 9 was on the whole way. The only annoying part was that it only worked on one channel though i.e. only on my left speaker; while with movies etc the the headphones worked just fine so it appears to be not an headphone issue.

I know we have lost some and gained some along the way since the merger, so its good to see the Hou crew sticking to the promises on this one. It has, to me always been a part of the original UA experience, and am now glad to have it on sCO long haul metal - listening to pilots say 'dasvidaniya' to the Russian controllers exiting Russian airspace was pretty neat. ^
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: CX Gold
This is nice!^ But where is it? I guess it's programmed in one of the audio channels in AVOD?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
From what I can tell, turning on the map forces you to listen to Channel 9. Which is great, except that you can't watch anything else (or play games) with Channel 9 on (very annoying) and if Channel 9 is switched off you can't listen to anything else while watching the map (extremely annoying).
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
This is nice!^ But where is it? I guess it's programmed in one of the audio channels in AVOD?
Its was "on" when I selected the flight map. Just needed to turn up the volume though as I initially though I was hearing something what sounded like Ch 9 traffic, and turning up the volume unleashed it
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by sshank
I know we have lost some and gained some along the way since the merger, so its good to see the Hou crew sticking to the promises on this one.
Just remember that the same HOU crew is removing Channel 9 from the Airbus aircraft as they add the steaming IFE. I suspect that the streaming IFE on the 747's will also result in the removal of Channel 9.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by warreng24
Just remember that the same HOU crew is removing Channel 9 from the Airbus aircraft as they add the steaming IFE. I suspect that the streaming IFE on the 747's will also result in the removal of Channel 9.
seriously looking for anything to complain about.

It's hard to look at the addition of Channel 9 on the PMCO 777s as anything other than a positive.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unavaca

It's hard to look at the addition of Channel 9 on the PMCO 777s as anything other than a positive.
It is a positive, but taking it away from the 319/320 is a negative.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by unavaca

It's going away on 150 aircraft, plus all the 757's going away. Oh ya plus the 747's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.