Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft and now PDE equipped aircraft to offer Channel 9

2) For discussion on issues and availability on Channel 9 equipped aircraft, see Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.
Print Wikipost

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
pmCO 767-400 with ATC comms

So I just got off a EWR-IAH flight on an int'l configured pmCO 767-400 A/C with Economy Plus. I inadvertently found ATC communications when I switched from my movie to the map towards landing. Is this a new feature? How long has it been like this?

The tail # for the flight was N76054.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Had the same experience today on flight 218 (HNL-IAH). A pmCO 777-200. Had channel 9 as well.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by donjo
Had the same experience today on flight 218 (HNL-IAH). A pmCO 777-200. Had channel 9 as well.
I am pretty sure you were on PMUA 777 in this case.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
As detailed here: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

and in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-updates.html

all of the non-HI 767-400s now have Ch9. It appears none of the sCO 777s do yet.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mckerrow
I am pretty sure you were on PMUA 777 in this case.
They definitely were if the flight # was 218.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
the pilots are the problem

Last month, I flew ORD-PHX & asked the FA to speak with the captain about activating Channel 9. The response was
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
maybe channel nine competes with the paid stuff

After 55k + miles this year I have had channel 9 available once on a UA airbus. I look forward to the pilots hanging out near the door to kiss us goodbye. I like to tell them, "Thanks for Channel Nine".
But then I seldom see them at the door anymore.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Orion
After 55k + miles this year I have had channel 9 available once on a UA airbus. I look forward to the pilots hanging out near the door to kiss us goodbye. I like to tell them, "Thanks for Channel Nine".
But then I seldom see them at the door anymore.
Don't take it personally, the new parking checklist takes a bit longer than than the old one. By the time all of our responsibilities are done and we get out of the flight deck, plane is already 1/3 empty.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
I wonder why they even bother installing channel 9 these days considering less than 10% of pilots turn it on.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:22 pm

Actually I think channel 9 availability has been getting a lot better. I'm 4/5 for flights this month (technically. On one of the flights channel 9 was on, pilot announced it, but my audio jack was inop).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
What's the deal with the ch9 installations?

Back when United announced it would invest US$550,000,000 in upgrading on board cabin features they included brining ch9 to the ex-continental birds on the list of investments. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this but after a google search I found multiple articles supporting what I remember)

Now after a year and a half and a good chunk of new aircraft deliveries, "the radio is still cold" so to speak. I think its very concerning that new 737s and 787s are still being delivered without any ch9 capability (in the case of the new 737s they are not getting ch9 with the dtv installations) and as far as I know not one "old" aircraft has had it added either.

So what does this mean? Are there still plans to add it? I hope it's not as I fear; a case of United silently hoping that no one will notice its quiet disappearance. As we lose more and more pmUA aircraft this year we have to remember we are losing ch9 as well.

Not that anyone cares (which I hope united is not secretly banking on.)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some 764s have it if you're looking at the map AFAIK.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by sbm12
Some 764s have it if you're looking at the map AFAIK.
Really? That's cool if that's true and makes this whole thread null and void. Where would I find this map? Thanks sbm12
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Not that anyone cares (which I hope united is not secretly banking on.)[/QUOTE]

Took a trip last week on a 757 from PBI to EWR, Ch 9 was fantastik! I would love to be able to hear it all the way to HKG as I never watch any of the movies.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA is at a disadvantge with DTV in that it is only offered on certain aircraft where say on Jet Blue Every aircraft has it . Many aircraft say flying this past Superbowl Sunday on a long coast to coast flight. If it was a 757 or Airbus no DTV and I am sure if it was avaliable most would get it. Nice way to pass the time on a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.