Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft and now PDE equipped aircraft to offer Channel 9

2) For discussion on issues and availability on Channel 9 equipped aircraft, see Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.
Print Wikipost

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by N1120A
Only the Airbus and some of the domestic 777s. This is highly disappointing.
Right, I just found that out a week ago when I flew a domestic 777 for ORD-SFO (2513), the plug for the audio has a little white plastic thing covered up !
Old May 22, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Does anybody know when UA is finally going to integrate Channel 9 with PDE?

With the domestic 752s gone and more and more international routes turning into 787 flights, I haven't been able to use Channel 9 in over a year and a half. It's been very disappointing...
Old May 22, 2016, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Does anybody know when UA is finally going to integrate Channel 9 with PDE?
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Is United's Channel 9 ever coming back?

I was talking with a seatmate today and he said "I really wish they'd bring back listening to air traffic control" and I thought to myself, ugh, yes! This was not supposed to go away with all these upgrades, right?

What happened? Did we lose this feature? It was so awesome :-/

Can we get it so it streams via the personal entertainment system maybe?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
It is there - go to the audio section - its the last entry "From the cockpit" or something. Still up to pilot discretion.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by swixo
It is there - go to the audio section - its the last entry "From the cockpit" or something. Still up to pilot discretion.
Only on pmUA flights that have built-in IFE (i.e. not PDE), though, as far as I am aware...
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Only on pmUA flights that have built-in IFE (i.e. not PDE), though, as far as I am aware...
They are also on the sub CO 764s and 777s.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Link to master thread. See the Wiki for details on which aircraft have it and other related threads.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my last 777 TPAC flights the last few years, I have not had it on. It is always music....
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
That was really such a transparent lie. We were suckered on this one.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
How to find "From the cockpit" on 757-200

So I just had my first experience on a lie flat seat yesterday on the 757-200 and it was incredible. However, I wasn't able to locate channel 9. It was listed as an 80's music station. There was no mention at all of the ATC programming on the screen. Does that mean that the pilot had it turned off the entire time? The whole remote control vs. screen thing was very confusing all together. Is there a wiki on how to use AVOD on the 757-200?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Joe K.
So I just had my first experience on a lie flat seat yesterday on the 757-200 and it was incredible. However, I wasn't able to locate channel 9. It was listed as an 80's music station. There was no mention at all of the ATC programming on the screen. Does that mean that the pilot had it turned off the entire time? The whole remote control vs. screen thing was very confusing all together. Is there a wiki on how to use AVOD on the 757-200?
On the sUA 757-200s (28 BF seats), it's in the AUDIO menu. Select FROM THE COCKPIT then LISTEN. If you hear music and not ATC, the pilot has it off -- ask the FA if it can be put on. These fly only p.s. routes, EWR-SFO/LAX.

On the sCO 757-200s (16 BF seats), it's not installed. These fly p.s. routes, EWR-SFO/LAX, as well trans-Atlantic routes, and the occasional domestic route.

More here, especially in the Wiki.

Last edited by wxguy; Aug 18, 2016 at 1:07 pm
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Joe K.
Were you on the 16J 752? If so that aircraft isn't equipped with channel 9.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Yep, the 16 seater. Thanks guys!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Has anyone heard whether or not the 777-300 planes will have Channel 9 capability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.