Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone booked LH F awards recently?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: VAG
I didn't book LH F, but I flew it anyway. Last weekend I had an award itinerary booked from FRA-MUC-BKK-SYD on Thai, but my FRA-MUC flight got cancelled at the last minute, so they had to reroute me.

I wound up flying FRA-SIN in the new Lufthansa A380 F, which was a pretty snazzy cabin and the best seat I've ever had.

Then, they stuck me in freaking suite class on a Singapore A380 for the SIN-SYD leg, which as far as I know is still supposed to be completely unavailable on UA miles. Best flight cancellation ever! I even got into SYD an hour earlier than my original itinerary.

In conclusion, sometimes it's easier to luck into things than it is to book them
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I didn't book LH F, but I flew it anyway. Last weekend I had an award itinerary booked from FRA-MUC-BKK-SYD on Thai, but my FRA-MUC flight got cancelled at the last minute, so they had to reroute me.

I wound up flying FRA-SIN in the new Lufthansa A380 F, which was a pretty snazzy cabin and the best seat I've ever had.

Then, they stuck me in freaking suite class on a Singapore A380 for the SIN-SYD leg, which as far as I know is still supposed to be completely unavailable on UA miles. Best flight cancellation ever! I even got into SYD an hour earlier than my original itinerary.

In conclusion, sometimes it's easier to luck into things than it is to book them
Only one thing could make it better - if they rebooked you into a revenue class
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: AS 75k
LH tix # not changed?

My search ability hasn't come through for me on this so if someone can point me to the appropriate thread, I'd appreciate it.

I had previously booked Mrs flymonthly and her mother in J on an itinerary that includes an LH ORD-FRA segment next week. I managed to snag two F seats that became available today and UA immediately reissued the tix. However, the booking on the LH web site has the OLD e-ticket #, but does correctly list the cabin as First (O) and let me select seats in F (81CH). Is the incorrect tix # something I need to worry/call about?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mre5765
What I do is book F or J on UA on same route and time, and when I see F on LH open up, book on LH, wait for it to ticket, confirm on LH.com that the flights are ticketed, and then cancel the UA flights online. I don't wait very long (i.e. I wait minutes) to cancel the UA itin because IME UA notices when the same pax is on two different flghts at overlapping times or even non-overlapping times (UA seems unaware that one can take over carriers to get from B to A, when one has two flights A to B booked on 016 tix or UA metal, 24 hours apart). Also if you have a lot of miles, I am not particularly picky as to which gateway cities between North America and Europe I end up on: one way flights on low cost carriers in North America are loose change, and one way flights in Europe don't cost much, and worst case there is always a first class cabin in a train.

For example Mrs. mre is going to FRA next month, but for now she is landing in LHR on UA F, and in the worst case, I will buy her a one way revenue ticket on LH, GermanWings, or some other carrier to get her to FRA if nothing opens up. When I went to TXL last month, I started off on UA lie flat to TXL, got DEN to FRA locked in, and bought an LH FRA to TXL flight. Then FRA to Detroit opened up, so I scored that, and bought a WN Detroit to DEN flight and an AB TXL to FRA flight. Then FRA/IAD/DEN opened up, so I scored that, and canceled the WN flight, leaving me with a credit to use up (no change fees, no guilt).

It works best to book two one ways rather than a round trip so that one can exploit inventory on the outbound at exactly T-14. Obviously if you are subject to miles deposit fees or don't have extra miles to play with, this doesn't work.
1. I agree that cancelling UA tickets once you snag LH F is good practice quickly
2. Why didn't you just add on a leg LHR-FRA in Y or C for your wife on her UA F to LHR? It isn't going to cost more miles. Why buy a revenue seat? The award is NA-Europe so it can get you to FRA via LHR.
3. While one ways are easier to manage and you can refund miles for your return if you need to. Obviously you loose out on the stopover feature that is so oftenly used by many of us on the RT awards.

Originally Posted by Jorgen

That was awesome! Great story and an indication that LH will go the extra mile to appease their customers. I guess SQ F suites are available with miles and more maybe? I doubt it, as I thought SQ didn't make them available to any airline but their own Kris miles.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by schley

That was awesome! Great story and an indication that LH will go the extra mile to appease their customers. I guess SQ F suites are available with miles and more maybe? I doubt it, as I thought SQ didn't make them available to any airline but their own Kris miles.
Wouldn't that have been TG going the extra mile since they were the sole carrier?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Wouldn't that have been TG going the extra mile since they were the sole carrier?
Good point, yes you are right. TG was the carrier.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:08 am

I'm trying to figure out how I should plan for my upcoming trip for 2 from SFO-FCO on November 23 to upgrade to LH First. I understand that I should look within 14 days and SFO/LAX are difficult to find to FRA/MUC. Should I just try to find DEN/SEA/YVR to FRA instead? If I find one of those flights should I book it or should I hold out for an SFO-FRA/MUC flight? I don't have any elite status so I would have to pay the $100/pp change fee each time I make a change. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by hamburglar
I'm trying to figure out how I should plan for my upcoming trip for 2 from SFO-FCO on November 23 to upgrade to LH First. I understand that I should look within 14 days and SFO/LAX are difficult to find to FRA/MUC. Should I just try to find DEN/SEA/YVR to FRA instead? If I find one of those flights should I book it or should I hold out for an SFO-FRA/MUC flight? I don't have any elite status so I would have to pay the $100/pp change fee each time I make a change. Thanks!
You could also look for JFK-FRA/MUC on LH F, and at least take p.s. to JFK. Or IAD-FRA/MUC, where they run a wide-body from LAX-IAD, though the extra connection (especially with delay-prone SFO-LAX flights) is hardly worth it.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Which Routing Would you Take?

OK, I know people on this forum aspire to LH F because it is such a great product, but would you really take that option, or the UA alternative:

LH:

HNL-YVR AC J Leave 8:30 PM Arrive 5:00 AM Next Day
YVR-FRA LH F Leave 4:15 PM Arrive 11:10 AM Next Day
FRA-IST LH J Leave 1:00 PM Arrive 4:50 PM

UA:

HNL-SFO UA J Leave 6:15 AM Arrive 2:27 PM
SFO-FRA UA F Leave 7:20 PM Arrive 3:00 PM Next Day
FRA-MUC LH J Leave 5:00 PM Arrive 6:00 PM
FRA-IST LH J Leave 7:15 PM Arrive 10:50 PM

LH Option Pluses:

Not getting up at 3 AM to make first flight
Only two connections
LH F product
Earlier arrival in IST

UA Option Pluses:

Only one overnighter
Less total travel time
-----

Your considered wisdom would be appreciated!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
You've outlined the pros and cons well. Of course it depends what you value.

If it were me, I would take the first option in a heartbeat. Having a day to go into Vancouver and see the sights, have lunch, etc., would be a plus for me (maybe not for you), plus the full extra day in Hawaii instead of rising at 3:00am, plus not having to shuttle through FRA and MUC (passport control in each). All of this without even mentioning the superiority of LH F, which would probably be enough to take that itinerary regardless of all the rest.

Also, I don't know what type of equipment AC flies to HNL, but I would assume that it can't be any worse than UA's. I would prefer the overnight flight anyway if I were in J; I suppose that you disagree.

Another advantage of the second option, however, is somewhat more time to enjoy F as it's a longer flight by 675 miles.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
OK, I know people on this forum aspire to LH F because it is such a great product, but would you really take that option, or the UA alternative:

LH:

UA:

LH Option Pluses:

Only two connections
LH F product
Earlier arrival in IST

UA Option Pluses:

Only one overnighter
Less total travel time
-----

First option, as LH F is miles better than UA F. YVR-FRA is old F I believe, so if you can look for flights that have new F.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA

LH:

UA:

LH Option Pluses:

Only two connections
LH F product
Earlier arrival in IST

UA Option Pluses:

Only one overnighter
Less total travel time
-----

Without any hesitation:

I would sleep in and take LH F, and with 1 less segment (option 1)

Maybe you could do some sightseeing in YVR on your long layover also.

Also gives you an extra day in HNL and as you said, you get to your destination in time for dinner.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:40 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Isn't there some rule that says if you cancel an award ticket, or cancel an award ticket X days before departure then you do not get your miles back or have to pay to hey you're miles back?

Originally Posted by mre5765
What I do is book F or J on UA on same route and time, and when I see F on LH open up, book on LH, wait for it to ticket, confirm on LH.com that the flights are ticketed, and then cancel the UA flights online. I don't wait very long (i.e. I wait minutes) to cancel the UA itin because IME UA notices when the same pax is on two different flghts at overlapping times or even non-overlapping times (UA seems unaware that one can take over carriers to get from B to A, when one has two flights A to B booked on 016 tix or UA metal, 24 hours apart). Also if you have a lot of miles, I am not particularly picky as to which gateway cities between North America and Europe I end up on: one way flights on low cost carriers in North America are loose change, and one way flights in Europe don't cost much, and worst case there is always a first class cabin in a train.

For example Mrs. mre is going to FRA next month, but for now she is landing in LHR on UA F, and in the worst case, I will buy her a one way revenue ticket on LH, GermanWings, or some other carrier to get her to FRA if nothing opens up. When I went to TXL last month, I started off on UA lie flat to TXL, got DEN to FRA locked in, and bought an LH FRA to TXL flight. Then FRA to Detroit opened up, so I scored that, and bought a WN Detroit to DEN flight and an AB TXL to FRA flight. Then FRA/IAD/DEN opened up, so I scored that, and canceled the WN flight, leaving me with a credit to use up (no change fees, no guilt).

It works best to book two one ways rather than a round trip so that one can exploit inventory on the outbound at exactly T-14. Obviously if you are subject to miles deposit fees or don't have extra miles to play with, this doesn't work.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

LH:

UA:

LH Option Pluses:

Only two connections
LH F product
Earlier arrival in IST

UA Option Pluses:

Only one overnighter
Less total travel time
-----

Find a reasonable day rate close to YVR for Option 1, and I'd take it. Leaving HNL at ugly o'clock in the morning as opposed to the evening isn't that much of an advantage (assuming you have somewhere to stash luggage).

Even if the AC craft has full-flat C, I'm not sure going into Vancouver at 3 am Honolulu time is, um, reasonable. Besides, probably easier to enjoy all that LH F offers if you've gotten lots of sleep. That's why I'd find the day room.

You might want to see if you can get TK J on the FRA-IST segment...
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mecabq
Also, I don't know what type of equipment AC flies to HNL, but I would assume that it can't be any worse than UA's.
Actually, the 6:15 a.m. HNL-SFO is on the 764 with lie-flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.