Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'd like it if they'd reimburse Nexus (which is cheaper) as you get the GE benefits anyways (plus CAnada)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
GE is great when you don't check a bag. when you do, breezing through immigration just allows you to stand around waiting for your bag.
This is true. I learned very quickly never to check a bag on my way home.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
Almost all my travel is domestic (which is to say a very rare trip to Canada). Is there still value to get the GE (considering it is ultimately free)? Is it considered a government issued ID that can be used for identification? Are there plans, as I seemed to have read, where it will get linked to programs that would benefit even domestic traveler (I'm always 80+ segments/120K+ per year)? Thanks for any opinions....
No. It's just an entry in a database and a little sticker in your passport. So the "ID" here is just your passport. There may be some value in getting into a government database as a "trusted traveler", but it's not clear there's much value in this.

For international travel, it rocks, especially if you can avoid checking a bag.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eerickso
+1. At IAD, baggage is a disaster anyway, and it's only more frustrating.

I suppose there's some limited value to being able to stand in one place waiting for a bag rather than shuffling along in a long line.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
So.... assume you're a 2MM flyer, you get Plat, your spouse gets Plat... do you both get this benefit? Seems you would...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by drewguy
+1. At IAD, baggage is a disaster anyway, and it's only more frustrating.

I suppose there's some limited value to being able to stand in one place waiting for a bag rather than shuffling along in a long line.
Don't forget that they've been adding designated lanes for GE members at the customs podiums. I've used the GE customs lines twice now and it was considerably easier/quicker then the melee' of folks queueing up. @:-)
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by sidsub
Exactly. Gate to on-site parking at SFO, 10 minutes. Brilliant!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
If your flight arrives IAD shortly after 6 other 777s just as Customs is opening up at IAD, GE is Magic. The last time I transited Dulles my flight, which is usually first to land, was last of the 0630-0730 arrivals land. The Customs line was literally backed up all the to the escalators leading down from the arrivals level.

There were 1,000-1,500 people in line and I was through Customs in ~2 minutes. Without GE, there's no way I'd have made my 1.25 hour connection time for a cross country. I had checked 2 bags and only had to wait about 15 minutes for my bags (which is a miracle at IAD).

That said, I've cleared IAH in Houston and been in a rental car in ~12 minutes later when I didn't have checked luggage.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any updates on how this will work? I'd like to apply & get it refunded by UA/CO.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Any idea how long it takes to get this card/sticker assuming one's application is approved without the need for an interview? Sounds like a great thing for my EZE-IAD adventure in a few weeks.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Any updates on how this will work? I'd like to apply & get it refunded by UA/CO.
Originally Posted by born sleepy
... Sounds like a great thing for my EZE-IAD adventure in a few weeks.

probably still a little earlier for submitting an reimbursement request
New Global Entry benefit
Beginning in the second quarter of 2012, MileagePlus will compensate Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members for their Global Entry application. ...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Any idea how long it takes to get this card/sticker assuming one's application is approved without the need for an interview? Sounds like a great thing for my EZE-IAD adventure in a few weeks.
This forum is a great place for such information. ^
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah, that's what I was hoping they meant. Thanks.
Since GE hasn't been around 5 years (right?) no one has had to "renew" yet, so it's not even clear if you renew or reapply anyway. But they seem to cover the fee either way.

(And maybe the "renewal" will not require payment of a new fee--perhaps the validity will simply be extended. Are they going to do a new security clearance and interview?)
It's a renewal. GE hasn't been around for 5 years, but NEXUS has, I just finished he renewal today, though the app is pretty much the same, with some parts pre-filled based on existing data (passport, etc.). The "trusted traveler programs", being nexus, sentri and GE, all use the same GOES application. On the very last page, you can check which programs you want to enroll in - it actually asks by way you want to use (enter US by land from Canada or Mex; enter US using a kiosk at the airport; enter Canada by land or kiosk at the airport).

I guess it knows how to charge you based on what you chose - since I use NEXUS, it appropriately charged me $50. I suspect those choosing GE only would have a charge of $100.

Sounds tempting for all to do NEXUS, but you have to go to a NEXUS office (all at northern border areas or in Canadian airports) as you need to be interviewed by both US and Canadian officers for final approval

Yes - new security clearance & interview, at least for NEXUS. They need a new picture for the card for sure. You can check the NEXUS thread in the AC forum for more there, but renewal pre-approval appears to be taking ~6 weeks.

I wonder if UA will actually cover NEXUS fees for 1k. Charge is only half, and charge line would presumably be the same - my SO got her nexus a few months ago, and charge line was something like cbptrustedtraveler.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Thumbs up

Dont know if anyone said this but Amex Plat has been doing this for sometime. It is the greatest invention since wheels on luggage! ^
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by sidsub
No. It's just an entry in a database and a little sticker in your passport. So the "ID" here is just your passport. There may be some value in getting into a government database as a "trusted traveler", but it's not clear there's much value in this.

Actually, there is a card also which is a valid federal id. It can be used for entering the country via land or sea, but not airports.

I've used it as an id with TSA, but several were confused and it is faster to have a passport or drivers license. As was mentioned, I agree there may or may not be value in getting into the "trusted traveler" database.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.