Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by redwoman
Great find bwiflyer01! Thank you! I am going to wait until June (or July or August, whenever they push back to ) to get a code to use on the GE application website. I have had enough of calling to ask where my miles are, where my refund is, etc. I'm not even going to add Travel Bank at this time, I don't need the aggravation of one more thing not functioning as advertised. Yes, I just stated that I have more faith in a govt. process, can you believe it?
Ditto!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What other credit cards or services offer this for free? After my initial one time 1K refund for GE I hope to get it free with a credit card. I don't have Plat Amex but does Chase Sapphire Preferred or other airline or hotel elite programs offer this free? Wondering if there is any way to keep this service without paying for it directly
As far as I know the AMEX Platinum is the only card that offers a GOES credit. I can't imagine that a card as cheap as the Sapphire Preferred would ever offer such a credit, as the cost is $100. Such expensive benefits will only be found on cards with high annual fees, such as the Platinum's $450.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
any word back from someone who applied for nexus and ge and was able to get reimbursed (or denied)?

I didn't know that there was a difference, and since i'm in sea selected to join nexus too - i had no idea it was different or cheaper. I only was looking to join GE because of the reimbursement. Frankly I haven't had more than a 5 min wait on the 5 times/year i come back into the us, so the only motivation on going for GE was getting it for free. Now that i'm in the nexus/ge queue, i'm hoping i'll be reimbursed for the $50
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What other credit cards or services offer this for free? After my initial one time 1K refund for GE I hope to get it free with a credit card. I don't have Plat Amex but does Chase Sapphire Preferred or other airline or hotel elite programs offer this free? Wondering if there is any way to keep this service without paying for it directly
Is the 1K bonus refund for Global Entry refund good for five years of Global Entry eligibility? Or do we have to renew annually?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Is the 1K bonus refund for Global Entry refund good for five years of Global Entry eligibility? Or do we have to renew annually?
As far as I know, the Global Entry program has only one type of enrollment, and that's for five years. Once the $100 fee is paid and you're approved, you're in for five years. I don't think the US gov't cares whether you get reimbursed by someone else for the fee.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by brarrr
any word back from someone who applied for nexus and ge and was able to get reimbursed (or denied)?

I didn't know that there was a difference, and since i'm in sea selected to join nexus too - i had no idea it was different or cheaper. I only was looking to join GE because of the reimbursement. Frankly I haven't had more than a 5 min wait on the 5 times/year i come back into the us, so the only motivation on going for GE was getting it for free. Now that i'm in the nexus/ge queue, i'm hoping i'll be reimbursed for the $50
I screwed up and probably put myself in the Nexus queue as well, because I go to Ottawa a few times a year. But now instead of being able to do the GE interview in my hometown within a week and use GE for two upcoming TPAC trips, I'll probably have to wait several months until my next trip to Ottawa :-(

Anyone know if there's a way to modify an GOES application that was just submitted but not yet reviewed?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
As much as I wanted to wait for a code and side step the reimbursement method, I went ahead and signed up now. I suspect there are far fewer people signing up now then when the code goes live so to beat the line, I applied last Tuesday and just sent in the reimbursement stuff. Its pretty easy.

Originally Posted by wwu123
Anyone know if there's a way to modify an GOES application that was just submitted but not yet reviewed?
The site says it can not be edited until you go in person. Its locked in

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reason: multi qoute
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
3 weeks, still pending review

Originally Posted by camelontherun
As much as I wanted to wait for a code and side step the reimbursement method, I went ahead and signed up now. I suspect there are far fewer people signing up now then when the code goes live so to beat the line, I applied last Tuesday and just sent in the reimbursement stuff. Its pretty easy.

The site says it can not be edited until you go in person. Its locked in
I wanted to beat the rush too and applied 3 weeks ago but it says my application is still pending review. Hopefully I'll be ale to do my interview soon for some summertime international trips coming up.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
My wife and I are both 1k MM.

So we get no benefit from the new MM 'status match.'

We have both been GE for a couple years, so no benefit from comped GE.

Really, so many of UNITED's new benefits are worthless to me, and they took away all the benefits I actually cared about and used.

Anyway, I do love GE. There is a great thread on things like processing wait times, etc. here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...orthwhile.html

For those who get to use this benefit, enjoy. It is AWESOME.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I wouldn't be surprised to see TravelBank deposits take the place of paper vouchers in the future. Where you used to get a $50 eCert, maybe you now get $50 in your TravelBank.
I could see that happening. However, that would be annoying, since TravelBank credits are non-transferable as I understand it.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by John Thacker
I could see that happening. However, that would be annoying, since TravelBank credits are non-transferable as I understand it.
You can't transfer but can book for others. I can see where this could be a problem if you are used to giving out your e-certs to friends/relatives/...

Back on topic, I've been in the "pending review" loop for the past couple of weeks. I read somewhere else online that people going to their interviews were told by CBP agents that there was a surge in applications lately and that they are backed up compared to earlier this year.

Further back on topic, no word from UA since the initial automated response to my email submission of receipts.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:14 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by eagle92
Thanks! I just submitted my email!
FYI - I received my $100 credit in my Travel Bank today. So took 11 calendar days from the date I submitted my email to the date I received the credit.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by todorovic
You can't transfer but can book for others. I can see where this could be a problem if you are used to giving out your e-certs to friends/relatives/...

Back on topic, I've been in the "pending review" loop for the past couple of weeks. I read somewhere else online that people going to their interviews were told by CBP agents that there was a surge in applications lately and that they are backed up compared to earlier this year.

Further back on topic, no word from UA since the initial automated response to my email submission of receipts.
I applied ~April 2 - was approved for interview April 17 - got an interview apt April 19th and two hours after the interview I received confirming email that my application was complete and that I could now use Global Entry.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
11 days for GE credit? Cool!

Originally Posted by eagle92
FYI - I received my $100 credit in my Travel Bank today. So took 11 calendar days from the date I submitted my email to the date I received the credit.
Hi eagle92, thank you for letting us know what your experience was like. 11 calendar days isn't bad at all.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by emanon256
I asked them via e-mail last November if I applied then, if I would be reimbursed, and was told I would. So United just cost me $100.
I forwarded my e-mail from 1KVoice from Nov stating I would be reimbursed if I applied at that time, along with my receipt to the GE e-mail on April 9. Just got $100 credit in my travel bank today. YAY! I am glad they kept their word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.