Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn

The reduction of bonus miles is not specific to the million miler program.
-
That is true. However, in consideration of the previous loyalty shown to UA by those who achieved the million-mile status, the reduction should not have been applied to this program. Doing so showed lack of appreciation for loyalty and disincentive decisions.
-

There is no reduction in status, in fact there's an increase in elite status at 2MM!
-
This is not correct. Presently, million-mile flyers are reduced one notch on the upgrade tier. It takes a second million to go back to where we were before the demotion.

2MM will still receive 2 CR-1s if they did not earn them in the previous year, and 3MM will receive 4 CR-1s and 6 SWU if they did not earn them in the previous year. Add to that the spouse benefit and the fact that it's now 1MM less (2MM rather than 3MM) to get fees waived, this to me all adds up to far more incentive to try for 2MM.
-
You ignored what I wrote. I said there is no incentive to spend the kind of money and experience the inconveniences necessary to achieve two million (or beyond).

What you show above includes some of the items that were taken away with the demotion. To stay with UA to get back things that were taken away is controversial, at best.

I asked for your answer and you furnished your answer. For your answer, I appreciate your effort.

However, your answer has not changed my mind about the unfair demotions and breached promises made to the million-mile program.

The disincentive changes made to the million mile program must be rescinded or there will be a large exodus of loyal flyers who realize there is little incentive to reach two million miles for reasons previously explained.
-
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
That is true. However, in consideration of the previous loyalty shown to UA by those who achieved the million-mile status, the reduction should not have been applied to this program. Doing so showed lack of appreciation for loyalty and disincentive decisions.
The million miler program never guaranteed a specific RDM bonus, nor did it guarantee other aspects of that level to never go by unchanged. It's unrealistic to expect the program rules to be frozen when you go across the threshold.

This is not correct. Presently, million-mile flyers are reduced one notch on the upgrade tier. It takes a second million to go back to where we were before the demotion.
We're talking about motivation to go to 2MM, so it was correct.

You ignored what I wrote. I said there is no incentive to spend the kind of money and experience the inconveniences necessary to achieve two million (or beyond).

What you show above includes some of the items that were taken away with the demotion. To stay with UA to get back things that were taken away is controversial, at best.

I asked for your answer and you furnished your answer. For your answer, I appreciate your effort.

However, your answer has not changed my mind about the unfair demotions and breached promises made to the million-mile program.

The disincentive changes made to the million mile program must be rescinded or there will be a large exodus of loyal flyers who realize there is little incentive to reach two million miles for reasons previously explained.
-
You're mixing motivation to hit 1MM with motivation to hit 2MM. I'm not sure why you're confusing the two.

I'm surprised you're still so engaged on this if you no longer believe there's an incentive. The changes have been announced now for 3.5 months, there have been almost 2000 posts on the topic (including ~8% of which have come solely from you), and UA Insider and UA overall have had plenty of time and input on the topic - it's clear it's not changing, so why not start the exodus?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:43 pm

The million miler program never guaranteed a specific RDM bonus, nor did it guarantee other aspects of that level to never go by unchanged. It's unrealistic to expect the program rules to be frozen when you go across the threshold.
-
You appear to have forgotten about the FAQs that stated there would be no changes to the million-mile program and that the annual CR-1s would continue. The credibility of the new UA management was severely damaged after the assurances posted on united.com were breached.

You're mixing motivation to hit 1MM with motivation to hit 2MM. I'm not sure why you're confusing the two.
With all due respect, there is no confusion except perhaps with your not reading what I and other out here posted. In most instances, we are talking about motivation to reach two million miles, not one million miles.

I'm surprised you're still so engaged on this if you no longer believe there's an incentive.
-
With all due respect, you are again misinterpreting what I and many others have written here regarding incentive. The incentive we are talking about involves the loss of incentive to strive to reach one or two million miles on UA.

The incentive has nothing to do with continuing to attempt to get the new UA management to rescind the demotions made to the million-mile program.

The changes have been announced now for 3.5 months, there have been almost 2000 posts on the topic (including ~8% of which have come solely from you), and UA Insider and UA overall have had plenty of time and input on the topic - it's clear it's not changing, so why not start the exodus?
I continue to participate in expressing my disappointment (as do many others out here) in hopes that the new management will realize the damage they have done to the million-mile program and the disincentive they caused for many loyal passengers to attempt to reach two million miles.

Further, I do not agree that it is "clear its not changing" and, to use your own words, "The million miler program never guaranteed a specific RDM bonus, nor did it guarantee other aspects of that level to never go by unchanged."

You also asked why I do not start the exodus. To answer your question, several of us are in discussion with AA concerning a status match.

At the present time, AA will only grant a "challenge" which is not what we want.

Due to AA's bankruptcy proceedings, the marketing department of AA is not giving a high priority to our requests even though we were assured it is something AA is seriously considering.

Thank you for your responses.
-
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If UA happens to be convenient to where I am traveling, so be it, I will fly with them and they will get my money.
UA wins. It didn't really matter what they took away from you as you're still going to fly them with reduced benefits. If you were serious about sending a message you'd walk away like I did. I booked one flight the last 4 months, to burn a voucher, and will not give them a cent more. I'm voting with my dollars.

Due to AA's bankruptcy proceedings, the marketing department of AA is not giving a high priority to our requests even though we were assured it is something AA is seriously considering.
If you were really serious about jumping to AA you'd already have bookings in place where you can get triple status miles and and have elite status before you know it. I know UA flyers that already have enough flights in place to make EXP. Forget about the campaign for a status match, and, if you're serious about moving to AA, book your flights and move on.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
UA wins. It didn't really matter what they took away from you as you're still going to fly them with reduced benefits. If you were serious about sending a message you'd walk away like I did. I booked one flight the last 4 months, to burn a voucher, and will not give them a cent more. I'm voting with my dollars.

If you were really serious about jumping to AA you'd already have bookings in place where you can get triple status miles and and have elite status before you know it. I know UA flyers that already have enough flights in place to make EXP. Forget about the campaign for a status match, and, if you're serious about moving to AA, book your flights and move on.
^
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:15 pm

You are correct. Considering what the new UA management did to the million-mile program, I should sever ties. However, how is it said, "hope springs eternal" which implies that I really think that the new management will rescind many of the demotions before the end of the first quarter of the year, assuming we keep up the complaints.

Actually, I do have some AA flights already booked for the AA promotion period. One problem is I also have a UA flight in January which will cut into the DEQM promotion time span that AA is currently running.

If the UA demotions to the million-mile program are not rescinded by the end of the first quarter of this year, I will be a former UA customer like you.
-
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Um -- n... that's not true. The old MM plan offered the same level as the new MM for 1MM. Starting in 2012, there is a new tier in the overall program. As with the 50% bonus mile change, this, too is a program-wide change that is not specific to the MM program.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Um -- n... that's not true. The old MM plan offered the same level as the new MM for 1MM. Starting in 2012, there is a new tier in the overall program. As with the 50% bonus mile change, this, too is a program-wide change that is not specific to the MM program.
And CO's MM program only gave Silver to 1MM fliers, They could have done that to us but they didn't. They decided to leave us at the 50K level.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy

-

It is true. This same issue has been discussed repeatedly. The EFFECT of the new tier demotes the former 1P one tier below what it formerly was. 1P is what the old million-mile program benefit was. However, the status is now one tier lower for elite status because of the demotion.

No matter what one chooses to call the demotion, the fact remains that the million-miler is no longer the second from the top (ignoring GS); they are now third. That is a fact unless the new UA management decides to grandfather those million-milers who were million-milers prior to the new rules taking over.
-
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:32 pm

^
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by entropy
Sure it is, fee free award changes is huge.
He should have said that 2 MM isn't worth anything to 1Ks or higher. There is absolutely no value in 2 MM status for me unless I abandon UA as my primary carrier and get high status elsewhere.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 2, 2012 at 8:40 pm
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
He should have said that 2 MM isn't worth anything to 1Ks or higher. There is absolutely no value in 2 mm status for me unless I abandon UA as my primary carrier and get high status elsewhere.
Or if you cut down flying overall, as many plan to eventually do.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He should have said that 2 MM isn't worth anything to 1Ks or higher. There is absolutely no value in 2 mm status for me unless I abandon UA as my primary carrier and get high status elsewhere.
Well, if you are 1K then 1MM has no benefit either. The benefit of MM programs is so you can enjoy the benefits when you retire and maybe don't fly enough anymore to earn status. And a side benefit is to maintain at least some status if you have a couple off years, you won't have to start over again from scratch.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, if you are 1K then 1MM has no benefit either. The benefit of MM programs is so you can enjoy the benefits when you retire and maybe don't fly enough anymore to earn status. And a side benefit is to maintain at least some status if you have a couple off years, you won't have to start over again from scratch.
1 MM used to get you extra SWUs and CR1s, so it used to be worth something. Since I was only 350K away from 2 MM before the adjustment and would have gotten a very real benefit of lifetime club access, the new 2 MM benefits are a real letdown and absolutely worthless to me since I will be 1K for the foreseeable future unless I abandon UA.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 MM used to get you extra SWUs and CR1s, so it used to be worth something. Since I was only 350K away from 2 MM before the adjustment and would have gotten a very real benefit of lifetime club access, the new 2 MM benefits are a real letdown and absolutely worthless to me since I will be 1K for the foreseeable future unless I abandon UA.
Yes, I am referring to the new where you don't get SWU and CR-1's for 1MM.

And I feel you would think it has some benefit if you end up in a situation like I did. 10 year 1K, Just shy of 1MM UA BIS miles. Get laid off during the economic downturn. Takes 2 years to find a job back at the level I was before. Will start traveling again real soon when the job starts Jan 9th. I was a general member for 2011. Would have been a general member starting the new job but the adjustment put me over the top and I get to start as a 1P.

Now if you are a 2MM and end up like I did you would never go below Platinum (once it starts). And please don't say you have no plans of getting laid off, don't see it ever happening. Believe me it does. And any level of MM status is a blessing during your time off after you would have lost status and when you start work again.

And even if you are a 1K solely on leisure travel, what if you hit an economic or health crunch and can't fly for a year or 2. Those MM benefits would start looking pretty good about then.

Too much I see on this board about the MM program people are thinking too short term and with blinders on. The real benefit is when you hit a point in life for any reason that you would not earn the status the program lets you have something. And that is pretty good. I won't go into the specific benefits lost/gained/whatever here, they have been pounded into the ground elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.