Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by volcaniac
Adding my voice to those expressing disgust that UAL is "elevating" its top-tier experience by dragging down the 2P's. Relegating 2Ps to E+ middle seats at check-in, rather than a stress-free reserved seat, is a terrible move on UAL's part. After all those years reserved seating for 2Ps (except exit rows), I guess the computers have decided that UAL prefers to lose the 2Ps and sell their E+ seats rather than provide a modest benefit to the folks who generally buy their 25k miles of tickets. If this policy isn't reversed, I will definitely re-examine my travel plans for the 2012; if there is a good chance I won't make 1P that year, I'll let the bottom line price determine whose metal I fly (which probably won't be UAL).
I can empathize with the reduction of 2P benefits, but I can in no way see how UA is "elevating" its top-tier experience. 1Ks have been seeing benefits erode for some time now. Hopefully, the hemorrhaging is over for a bit....but I would not bank on it.

UA is proving surprisingly adept at alienating all of its elite tiers, except maybe GS. The game continues on....
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by volcaniac
Adding my voice to those expressing disgust that UAL is "elevating" its top-tier experience by dragging down the 2P's. Relegating 2Ps to E+ middle seats at check-in, rather than a stress-free reserved seat, is a terrible move on UAL's part. After all those years reserved seating for 2Ps (except exit rows), I guess the computers have decided that UAL prefers to lose the 2Ps and sell their E+ seats rather than provide a modest benefit to the folks who generally buy their 25k miles of tickets. If this policy isn't reversed, I will definitely re-examine my travel plans for the 2012; if there is a good chance I won't make 1P that year, I'll let the bottom line price determine whose metal I fly (which probably won't be UAL).
I feel guilty because I convinced a German colleague to fly United inste4ad of Lufthansa He is a 2 P and wousl simply be better off with Lufthansa
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I don't even know what this means or how it applies.
"the #1 thing to do is to not open the e-mail with "On our mileage run last weekend..." "

It simply means if you don't have any good things to say then it would nice not to say anything. There is nothing wrong stating it was a Mileage Run because it was as I am trying to get my qualification as PE. Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ba739
...There is nothing wrong stating it was a Mileage Run because it was as I am trying to get my qualification as PE. Thanks
I think you are missing the reason for the feedback. Self-identifying yourself as a MR may create the impression you are a low-yield/low profit customer and might negatively impact the UA response.
You might look as a way of saying, I have gone the extra mile (punt intended) but there are two ways to look at the statement.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think you are missing the reason for the feedback. Self-identifying yourself as a MR may create the impression you are a low-yield/low profit customer and might negatively impact the UA response.
You might look as a way of saying, I have gone the extra mile (punt intended) but there are two ways to look at the statement.
Advice taken...Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I think that if you want to send an e-mail threatening to take your business away, and you want it to be effective, the #1 thing to do is to not open the e-mail with "On our mileage run last weekend..."
:-::-::-:
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Come Over to Delta!

Originally Posted by tom911
Now, I wish I knew more about Delta's program. I've read reports that award availability over there is not good, but do they give 100% bonus miles for midtier flyers?
When I read about UA's cut of RDM bonus level's for elites, I was shocked. This is worse than anything Delta has done in treatment of its elites:

These are the bonus levels:

Level United Delta
25k 25% 25%
50k 50% 100%
75k 75% 100%
100k 100% ----
125k ---- 125%

Yes, the biggest knocks on Delta are lack of award availability (on Delta metal), and no meaningful international upgrades.

For the second objection, the solution is partner awards.

These are my last two redemptions, which were on AF and KL in biz class:

LAX-(CDG)-VIE/PRG-(AMS)-CDG-LAX for 100k Skymiles
LAX-(CDG)-(AMS)-JNB-CDG-LAX for 140k Skymiles

For international upgrades, one just has to decided if that's a deal breaker or not.

A unique feature to Delta Skymiles is rollover EQM's -- the excess miles for the year's status level roll into next year's qualification. For a Delta flyer, this means that there is never a wasted mileage run -- the status will either count for the current year or a future year.

This is arguable, but my personal opinion is that Delta's in-flight service and airport lounges are superior to United.

Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm Reason: Forgot 75k levels
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not trying to pile on but the other advantage of Delta is that there is no level above Diamond (e.g. GS). And for long time Delta fliers, they appear to count MM status as a tiebreaker.

I can fully understand why United rewards GS fliers but the downside is that it basically ruined 1K, especially for people flying 100-300K miles a year.

All the hotels and airlines seem to be going to upsells for better rooms and seats. Like most analytics-based programs, this will only work temporarily. It is likely to cause a longer term change in that flyers will stop caring about loyalty and pick the cheapest flight they can buy-up on.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Ladies and gentlemen. United reads any positive remarks as pats on the back, and, see, I knew Flyertalkers would come around.

I'd advise against encouraging the marketing department at United WHQ.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The title of this thread is: "Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details"

As you have read throughout this thread, there are many people who find some of the changes to be positive. I want to hear their opinions, and understand why they think these changes are not as bad as some percieve them to be.

If you just want to b1tch about the changes, there are a number of other threads opened that are clearly titled as places to air your complaints. (for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-shaft-mp.html)
Not b1tchinging at all. Just being a Flyertalker. I'm voicing my opinion.

Don't for a second think UA isn't magnifying any positive comment posted here. YMMV. If 10% of this thread has been positive, UA, with their rose colored glasses, must be thinking we're in favor of the changes.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:05 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, this is what I was saying.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Not b1tchinging at all. Just being a Flyertalker. I'm voicing my opinion.

Don't for a second think UA isn't magnifying any positive comment posted here. YMMV. If 10% of this thread has been positive, UA, with their rose colored glasses, must be thinking we're in favor of the changes.
Fair enough - it is good to hear everyone's opinion. But when you tell me I should not say anything positive about these changes...

Recall the initial tenor of this thread. Generally positive, recognition that the changes do not benefit everyone.

Originally Posted by JC1120
I'm happy with the changes.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Thanks for this. Seems a pretty good resolution to a number of thorny issues.
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Wow! Those are changes I can live with!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Thanks. Definitely better than expected.
Originally Posted by XLR26
Looks like 2Ps are the big losers on this one, though 50% RDM bonus is gonna sting for 1Ps too. Ouch.
Originally Posted by Duke777
Happy with the changes. Definitely positive changes for the higher tiers, not so for 2P/1P.

From a business standpoint, the changes make sense. They reward those who fly or spend more than those who don't.

What do we call Premier Plantinum? PP?
Originally Posted by JetAway
Whew! Finally, some good news. Many thanks, UA/CO.
Originally Posted by JenGal
Thank You. Appreciate you posting to the FT community.

My opinion: downgrade for 1P. 2P really quite meaningless now.

oh well.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Not trying to pile on but the other advantage of Delta is that there is no level above Diamond (e.g. GS). And for long time Delta fliers, they appear to count MM status as a tiebreaker.

I can fully understand why United rewards GS fliers but the downside is that it basically ruined 1K, especially for people flying 100-300K miles a year.
+1 Agree completely! Maybe UA should count MM status as a tiebreaker as well.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:25 am

Probably Delta Plat or Diamond is a different experience, but:

I had gained Delta Gold status through a promotion they ran with my AMEX card. In looking to book a flight to BDL from SFO, found a Delta ticket far less expensive than UA and decided to give them a try.

Overall, the experience did not seem all that different from being a mid tier on UA... Upgraded on 1 out of 4 flights. Way, way down on the upgrade list for the popular routes / times. F on the Delta 757 was 'eh' - about the same as UA. (PDB provided when I was in F; I ordered an alcoholic cocktail. I thought it was very funny when in response to my drink order, the FA said 'Well, aren't you naughty!') No E+ on Delta really could be a deal breaker for me, E+ really does make a flight a lot better...

So, if earning 25 or 50% more RDM's really makes that much of a difference for you, give Delta a try if they have a flight schedule that meets your needs.

In my case, I think that even when I drop to low status / low amount of flying, I will still either try to earn 2P, or buy the annual E+ option, and stick with UA (assuming also that I am still SFO based).

One very small thing I liked better on DL: I drink a lot of water on flights. DL has 10 oz plastic cups, which I like better than the smaller 8 oz cups they provide on UA!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:20 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
One very small thing I liked better on DL: I drink a lot of water on flights. DL has 10 oz plastic cups, which I like better than the smaller 8 oz cups they provide on UA!
I'm with you on this. I always bring an empty bottle of water with me to the airport and fill it up after security. I drink lots of water and even more on planes and except on intl upper cabin flights, the supply never meets my demand. 25% more water/serving would help a bit.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: UA G
Anyone know what the award penalty fees will be for Premier Platinums? Will there still be free routing change and re-deposit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.