Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Oh boy, where to begin...

- CO eliminated food in Y pre-merger
- There are plenty of CO planes w/o any entertainment at all, and none have free entertainment, right? So YMMV.
- J seating isn't ideal, but it maxed out the space - the seats are fine, have you sat in one?
- How many total CO showers are there, like 4 in the system? Is that really that big of a deal?

There were pillows in UA F long after CO got rid of them.

Um - not so much. Balance is way out of whack when you consider that CO got E+, SWUs/RUs, higher revenue/EQM tiers for flyers, MUCH better MM program...a bit more substantial than showers

I'm talking about pretzels, not BOB, UA, brought that.
Plenty? About 20 if that even. And last time I checked, the AVOD is free in Y, which is more then you can say for UA.
It's still scrunched together. I much prefer COs BF seat.
I said hubs, CO has multiple showers at EWR and IAH. UA doesn't have as many (and they have more lounges).

Excuse me then, I thought we both received the downgrade at the same time, after the merger was announced.

I'd say it's pretty balanced. UA gets soft product upgrades (mainly in food), entertainment upgrades, many more destinations, and a better award booking system (as well as the elimination of StarNet blocking). And CO gets the things you described. If that's not balanced, I don't know what is.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Right...because we never see first time posters with rants currently in the UA forum
Good point. I think it will increase.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'm talking about pretzels, not BOB, UA, brought that.
Plenty? About 20 if that even. And last time I checked, the AVOD is free in Y, which is more then you can say for UA.
It's still scrunched together. I much prefer COs BF seat.
I said hubs, CO has multiple showers at EWR and IAH. UA doesn't have as many (and they have more lounges).

Excuse me then, I thought we both received the downgrade at the same time, after the merger was announced.

I'd say it's pretty balanced. UA gets soft product upgrades (mainly in food), entertainment upgrades, many more destinations, and a better award booking system (as well as the elimination of StarNet blocking). And CO gets the things you described. If that's not balanced, I don't know what is.
I guess if you consider going from a Lincoln to a Ford Focus to be no big deal, then your post makes sense. Otherwise I don't see where the balance is. Yes, neither was a Mercedes, but still a change for the less.

Regarding AVOD, I bet that is more important to the infrequent traveler not the guy flying to the next meeting.

Bottom line is that the "new" program is a downgrade from previous years, for many if not most of the elites. I'm happy for you to look at the positive and ignore the negative, more power to you.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I guess if you consider going from a Lincoln to a Ford Focus to be no big deal, then your post makes sense. Otherwise I don't see where the balance is. Yes, neither was a

Regarding AVOD, I bet that is more important to the infrequent traveler not the guy flying to the next meeting.

Bottom line is that the "new" program is a downgrade from previous years, for many if not most of the elites. I'm happy for you to look at the positive and ignore the negative, more power to you.

Where am I ignoring the negative? I try to balance out the good and the bad, and frankly, the bad doesn't look that bad. Obviously there are downgrades, I reconize that. I don't like the fact that I will only be getting a 50% RDM bonus. But is that something to get worked up about? No. Is not having Starbucks coffee? No.

And just to say, I went berserk when CO introduced BOB.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
In looking at the negatives that each party brings to the merger, I'm trying to separate out the subjective attributes, where people will generally prefer the things they're used to. For example I personally find the F seats on CO much less comfortable than CO's, but don't doubt that others feel the opposite. While I do find the CO food tastier, their heavy use of high-cholestoral ingredients and avoidance of things green or fresh leaves me feeling a bit uncomfortable. The obnoxious and loud DirecTV commercials at the beginning of each flight make me wish for the AVODs to be removed. I've had a number of CO cabin crews who seem like the kettles that I hear are common on CO flights, but I'm willing to assume that staffing quality is uneven on both airlines. In recent years I had come to like regional jets, flying in F or E+, but CO has introduced me to the wonderful world of E145s and D200s. Yes, the new C cabins on UA equipment feel more crowded than BF on CO, but the seats themselves are pretty comparable and you now have a true F cabin as well. Okay, the PC's had showers in IAH and EWR, while the RCCs just had better food; now the UCs have downgraded food, but still have showers in IAH and EWR.

All of the above items, in my opinion, are subjective attributes where a reasonable person might prefer one or the other, so they pretty well balance out. Looking at the more objective differences that don't seem to balance, I see negatives that CO has brought like: removal of pillows (and flimsy blankets), downgrade of coffee, screwed up boarding process, major crowding at "priority" check-in and security lines, payment policies that take my money earlier and make it harder to get back, and blatant efforts to sell my upgrades out from under me (or possibly systems that are so screwed up they do this by mistake!).

This brings me back to my original question, is there anything brought from the UA side that is objectively negative versus what CO had previously?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
No snacks in Y, planes with no AVOD in Y, planes with overhead entertainment, lounges in hubs with no showers, "sardine" class J, expireing miles, to name a few.
How hard is it to keep miles from expiring? Generating some activity once every 18 months isn't that hard, is it? Many here have said that UA is a business, and not a charity. What benefit do they get from allowing miles to stay on the books for an infinite amount of time?

How many 735s does CO have? They don't have any IFE.. Even though it's overhead, UA has IFE on every mainline domestic aircraft, and PTVs on the 767s & the reconfigured 777s.

The list is endless, unfortunately. It seems that the new leadership team (aren't they mostly CO? ) decided to choose the cheaper option of the two carriers.. Terrible blankets and no pillows? Check. Bad snacks in the RCCs? Check. etc, etc, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:32 pm

Where am I ignoring the negative? I try to balance out the good and the bad, and frankly, the bad doesn't look that bad. Obviously there are downgrades, I reconize that. I don't like the fact that I will only be getting a 50% RDM bonus. But is that something to get worked up about? No. Is not having Starbucks coffee? No.

And just to say, I went berserk when CO introduced BOB.
So what do you get worked up about, if not RDM bonus, upgrade certificates, etc?

LIke I said, I'm still moving forward with UA, but I've never been more aware of other options. I now consider UA a vendor and not a partner. Those in sales know this is not good.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How hard is it to keep miles from expiring? Generating some activity once every 18 months isn't that hard, is it? Many here have said that UA is a business, and not a charity. What benefit do they get from allowing miles to stay on the books for an infinite amount of time?

How many 735s does CO have? They don't have any IFE.. Even though it's overhead, UA has IFE on every mainline domestic aircraft, and PTVs on the 767s & the reconfigured 777s.

The list is endless, unfortunately. It seems that the new leadership team (aren't they mostly CO? ) decided to choose the cheaper option of the two carriers.. Terrible blankets and no pillows? Check. Bad snacks in the RCCs? Check. etc, etc, etc.

It's not hard to keep miles from expiring, however as I've mentioned before, it's the principle of the thing.

They don't have many.
UA may have IFE, however for the most part it's crappy.

Actually the board is almost split down the middle.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
So what do you get worked up about, if not RDM bonus, upgrade certificates, etc?

LIke I said, I'm still moving forward with UA, but I've never been more aware of other options. I now consider UA a vendor and not a partner. Those in sales know this is not good.

As I said in my last sentence, I went berserk when CO introduced BOB. I often get worked up over service things like when CO took away free food in Y, and then took pretzels away. And when they put BOB on Hawaii flights (which BTW is something UA brought).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Actually the board is almost split down the middle.
Actually, at last check I think it hat shifted to 60-65% PMCO IIRC
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Sundaes on transcons. Check. Free decent booze in the RCCs. Check. Free wifi for all in the RCCs. Check. Free entertainment on all international 777s. Check. No Starnet blocking. Check. Generous boost to 1MM qualification. Check. Fleetwide rollout of Channel 9. Check. Fleetwide rollout of snack baskets and warm nuts. Check. Fleetwide E+. Check.

People around here act like UA hadn't slowly degraded their own product for the last 10 years. Both UA and CO had highly degraded products relative to where we were even 5 years ago. We're just now getting a more or less same level of degraded product in a slightly different configuration. I don't see why it's worth getting so worked up about :shrug:
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Sundaes on transcons. Check. Free decent booze in the RCCs. Check. Free wifi for all in the RCCs. Check. Free entertainment on all international 777s. Check. No Starnet blocking. Check. Generous boost to 1MM qualification. Check. Fleetwide rollout of Channel 9. Check. Fleetwide rollout of snack baskets and warm nuts. Check. Fleetwide E+. Check.

People around here act like UA hadn't slowly degraded their own product for the last 10 years. Both UA and CO had highly degraded products relative to where we were even 5 years ago. We're just now getting a more or less same level of degraded product in a slightly different configuration. I don't see why it's worth getting so worked up about :shrug:
Feel free to suggest changes to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-vs-co.html
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Actually, at last check I think it hat shifted to 60-65% PMCO IIRC

Notice I said almost. I think 40%-60% is almost split down the middle, theres no major majority for either.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Lounge access

Just FYI if the holograms don't arrive before the end of January...

Upon entering the Senators lounge in Hamburg, I was asked to provide my Star Gold card. I supplied both my MP and OP card. The greeter looked at the United card and told me it is expired. She then corrected herself and stated, "oh no, it expires the end of the month, enjoy a cocktail" and waived me in.

Looks like if those holograms don't show up we will have problems with lounge access due to United not informing other airlines about the delay in cards. Hopefully they accept the holograms!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: UA Silver Kettle, IHG Platinum & slop status in all others
Question E+ Seat Booked as a P2 - Will I Lose It as a Silver

Last week I booked SMF-DEN-SMF for a trip in May. As a P2 I selected an E+ seat. I will have Silver status in 2012. When the transition is made later this quarter, and Silver's can no longer get E+ at time of booking, do you think UA will strip my E+ seat?

I've read about people booking E+ when they had Elite status and then having it taken away when they do not maintain status near the time of the flight.

But since my status is not really changing - UA is "just" devaluing it - I would be pretty upset if they strip my E+ seat after the program transition is complete.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:31 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Rush2112SFO
...I would be pretty upset if they strip my E+ seat after the program transition is complete.
You may sit in E- steaming, but you'll sit there nonetheless and you'll continue to book flights on COdbaUA. Ho hum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.