Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Quick question (sorry if it has already been answered):

If I have 95,000 EQMs on CO, and 6,000 on UA by the end of this year, I will become 1K for 2012, right?
Yes.
I assume both accounts will be merged on 12/31/2011.
It's not clear at this pnt when exactly the accounts will be merged.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Quick question (sorry if it has already been answered):

If I have 95,000 EQMs on CO, and 6,000 on UA by the end of this year, I will become 1K for 2012, right?

I assume both accounts will be merged on 12/31/2011.
yes,

If you link accounts now or before the end of the year, your status would update within a few weeks -- no need to wait.

See http://www.continental.com/combinemyactivity

Down side -- your SWUs and CR1s may post sooner if you combine accounts and therefore expire a month or two sooner.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
When does reduced Elite Bonus apply? Answer: March

Does anyone know when the reduced Elite bonus miles kick in? Both Continental and United's Elite cards indicate program ending date of January 31, 2012, but continental's elite benefit chart indicate benefit validity through "late in the first quarter of 2012."

Jiburi

Thanks, Got my answer.... March 2012.

Last edited by jiburi; Oct 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
New rules about flying United vs Partners to hit 1k

Hi;

I do most of my flights on Lufthansa, Turkish, and Swiss. I go back and forth to SFO and around here in Europe. MP is a great program from United, but to be honest, and i think most would agree, the partner planes, food, treatment, is how do you say "better" on the partners, and you make the same miles.

I saw that the new 2012 program rules indicate that you need to be on United 4x in the year to make your levels. I am a 1k now and hope to keep that moving forward, but I dread flying on United vs Swiss or Lufthansa long hauls.

Does anyone know the specifics of that 4x rule? Could I fly down to LA from SFO and that counts?

PS: Sorry United, I love your MP program, and I love America, but you have chosen not t be on par with Euro carriers, frustratingly even at the same fares. Plus, your staff are "not happy" anymore either like they were 10 years back. Used to be "fun to fly the friendly sky". Not anymore....
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by pixmotion
Hi;

I do most of my flights on Lufthansa, Turkish, and Swiss. I go back and forth to SFO and around here in Europe. MP is a great program from United, but to be honest, and i think most would agree, the partner planes, food, treatment, is how do you say "better" on the partners, and you make the same miles.

I saw that the new 2012 program rules indicate that you need to be on United 4x in the year to make your levels. I am a 1k now and hope to keep that moving forward, but I dread flying on United vs Swiss or Lufthansa long hauls.

Does anyone know the specifics of that 4x rule? Could I fly down to LA from SFO and that counts?

PS: Sorry United, I love your MP program, and I love America, but you have chosen not t be on par with Euro carriers, frustratingly even at the same fares. Plus, your staff are "not happy" anymore either like they were 10 years back. Used to be "fun to fly the friendly sky". Not anymore....
Its addressed in the 2012 changes thread (its a sticky at the top of this forum):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...m-details.html

The specifics of the 4x rules is you need to fly 4 UA metal segments 2 r/t SFO-LAX would get you there (you need to board a UA plane 4X).
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Hi;

You answered your own question. You can fly LAX-SFO-LAX x 2 and that would fulfil the four flight rule.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by XLR26
That's the big chance that UA is taking. Come next year, if lots of 2Ps find they're only getting E+ middles, or worse (E-), then I see a big exodus. Whether UA will care, who knows.
It's not just 2P's/silvers and E+. It is also us golds and their lousy 50% elite bonus, the same thing that CO silvers used to get until they got hooked up with UA. That devaluation sucks just as much as the E+ isuue does for the silvers / 2P's.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
New rules about flying United vs Partners to hit 1k

Thanks guys for confirming!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Carolinian
It's not just 2P's/silvers and E+. It is also us golds and their lousy 50% elite bonus, the same thing that CO silvers used to get until they got hooked up with UA. That devaluation sucks just as much as the E+ isuue does for the silvers / 2P's.
I agree that 1Ps got it too. And come March/April of next year, if the changes do end up getting implemented as previously announced then I'll be doing a status challenge on AA. For now, it's wait and see.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Thanks guys for confirming!
dont worry, you need not suffer UA more than 4 times
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
It is really easy to accomplish going to sfo just do 2 of your trips to connect in ORD, EWR, IAD
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:57 pm

I believe United express counts. So a SFO to LAX round trip via anything in California would count as four segments.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Are you suppose to fly on a UA ticket those 4 segments or could it be TK/LH tkt but UA metal?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
No doubt. I was just trying to explain the rationale for the statement, not endorsing it! As you say, United obviously loses money on some (maybe many) 2Ps but probably not on any earned GSs, who must be very profitable customers indeed.

Bruce
Perhaps UA lost some money on some 2P's. However, they'll lose a lot more if the seat doesn't go filled and/or the replacement doesn't buy up on options. Those of thus who paid a premium to fly UA would be replaced by those who pay the cheapest price, and won't pick UA unless there aren't other options for their situation.

It's like in the computer industry, memory makers took a bath for quite awhile. They were selling memory less than it cost to make it. Yet they still kept churning it out. Why? They were waiting for better times, and not making the product at all cost them more money than for selling it at a small loss.

Time will tell whether UA is making the right decision here. Like others, I think it's pennywise and pound foolish, but CO was always more about the short term buck than the longer term investment. I think UA has more to lose in the long run by screwing their lower tiers that may not necessarily appear in the short term.

Originally Posted by Seat1A
you presumably have the capacity to ship everyone's orders. if you just couldn't get all orders out one day, the C's would get hosed. on purpose. you would call it serving the A's (which it is), but once capacity gets limited, you're increasing one party's benefits to the detriment of another's.

united is clearly capacity constrained. they can't give 1K's more upgrades without taking away someone else's upgrade, which is exactly what they're doing in E+. (yes, they could add more seats, but that's not a free/short term decision..) removing benefits from 1P/2P means that 1K's can actually enjoy the benefits they've been promised. when you've overpromised, and decide to fix it, someone's got to get hosed..

i don't like it, and it means i'm leaning toward not using my 2P status at all next year, but i do understand it.. the same rule at DL will increase the value of my status there.
Even if there is a capacity issue, it's not like the change will be dialed back when capacity can meet demand. 2P's will still be screwed, and UA will just see it as a chance to sell more E+ upgrades.

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Why are elites (at any level) entitled to "no less than last year's benefits" in perpetuity?

There's no doubt that would be customer friendly, but in an industry as volatile as the airline sector, with costs and demand fluctuating and competitors pricing their product below cost, it simply may not be a sustainable business model.

UA switched a few years back from E500 upgrades to UDU. Since then my purchasing pattern has stayed the same but my percentage of domestic flights in F has gone up. But I don't consider myself entitled to the UDU system for the rest of UA's existence.
If UA wanted to change the benefits for 2013, that's one thing. Tell people at the beginning of the year and they can make the determination whether or not to continue flying UA.

However, promising benefits for the following year for 9 months and then changing them in September is just crappy. People gave their business based on perks they could expect for next year, only to find out after either coming close or meeting the thresholds that the goal posts have been moved. UA didn't give incentive to fly more - they gave me incentive NOT to fly them more.

I would have had a lot less of an issue had UA announced this at the beginning of this year for next year's benefits or announced it now for 2013's benefits.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:43 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Superguy
However, promising benefits for the following year for 9 months and then changing them in September is just crappy.
(boldface added)

While I don't like the timing of the changes either, I don't think that the above is actually what happened. UA didn't promise specific benefits for the following year for 9 months; instead, the merger calendar said that details of the 2012 frequent flier program would be announced in 3Q 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.