Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I've already said that it will have an immediate affect on the rest of my household... no more 2Ps for son, daughter or wife. Kayakers from here-on.
It's always so nice to sit quietly in F, while the rest of the family is back in Y!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You're 3MM with AA, and while I don't know what the actual benefits of that are, I'm pretty sure they're a lot better than MM on UA.
Strictly in terms of lifetime status, you get about the same at 1MM with UA this year that you do with 2MM at AA, though at AA they historically were not just flight miles (that changes in December). AA gives you 4 systemwides while UA gives you 3. Both gave you midtier status which comes with 100% bonus miles.

If I worked off my lifetime midtier status next year on both carriers, AA would give me 100% bonus miles while UA would give me 50%. I recognize that UA throws in some other perks with their 2012 program that you find value with, though some of those don't kick in until after 75K, but to me it all comes down to the bonus miles. 50% or 75% doesn't work for me. I want 100% bonus miles. If I picked a new program today with the goal of building miles for award travel, and only intending to fly 50K a year, AA would give me 100,000 miles while UA would give me 75,000 miles. I've had elite status for 20 years now and hope to be traveling another 20 at least. Start adding up the miles and UA just doesn't work for me now at midtier.

Now, I wish I knew more about Delta's program. I've read reports that award availability over there is not good, but do they give 100% bonus miles for midtier flyers? How about US? Do they offer 100% bonus miles at 50K? Might even be some other options out there that would work for Star Alliance such as LH or AC. Do they offer 100% bonus miles at 50K? Those are things I need to start looking at.

Right now it's easier for me to move the UA portion of my flying over to AA, but if I can get 100% bonus miles at midtier on someone else in Star Alliance I'd seriously need to look at that as my second plan and do a status match from AA. When I get my 100K out of the way with AA next year I may very well do that so I'm not reliant on a single alliance. Rest of the year I'm burning UA miles.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I think that if you want to send an e-mail threatening to take your business away, and you want it to be effective, the #1 thing to do is to not open the e-mail with "On our mileage run last weekend..."
It doesn't matter what you think....an ancient Chinese saying "If you don't open your mouth...no one will say you are a mute"
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
No, I'm not happy. But on balance, it probably remains the best total package out there. For me.

Ladies and gentlemen. United reads any positive remarks as pats on the back, and, see, I knew Flyertalkers would come around.

I'd advise against encouraging the marketing department at United WHQ.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
CO silver

Hello,

I am waiting already for more than 3 months and my silver status with CO is still not visible in United Mileage Plus Program.

What could be the reason?
If I am not in the correct forum please move it.

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Ladies and gentlemen. United reads any positive remarks as pats on the back, and, see, I knew Flyertalkers would come around.

Wait so now we can't say any positive things about CO/UA? Come on, if I like something I'm going to say I do, just like if I don't like something, I'm going to say it.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ba739
My priorities as Premier Executive are as following: 1) 100 % RDM bonus 2) Standby with no fee. I will be glad to send you my MP number if you think it is necessary. Thank you for your time and consideration.
I sent them my MP number and they looked up my history as it was referred to in the reply.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53

The title of this thread is: "Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details"

As you have read throughout this thread, there are many people who find some of the changes to be positive. I want to hear their opinions, and understand why they think these changes are not as bad as some percieve them to be.

If you just want to b1tch about the changes, there are a number of other threads opened that are clearly titled as places to air your complaints. (for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-shaft-mp.html)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
.....I am waiting already for more than 3 months and my silver status with CO is still not visible in United Mileage Plus Program.

What could be the reason?....
likely there is a small difference in account name, middle initial, address, ..... you can try again, they seem to getting better at handling minor differences or call and ask for the Integration Desk for assistance.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
I sent them my MP number and they looked up my history as it was referred to in the reply.
I have inclued our name only...I am sure they can look it up..Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Now, I wish I knew more about Delta's program. I've read reports that award availability over there is not good, but do they give 100% bonus miles for midtier flyers? How about US? Do they offer 100% bonus miles at 50K? Might even be some other options out there that would work for Star Alliance such as LH or AC. Do they offer 100% bonus miles at 50K? Those are things I need to start looking at.
US's RDM bonuses match UA's. Big thing on US I noticed is Y/B can book directly into F like on UA, but don't get 50% bonus EQMs like on UA - a big turn off.

US beats UA at the silver level, meets them at the gold level, and UA starts to lead at 75K+. You only get 2 CP upgrades at 100k, plus 2 companion CPs that HAVE to be used at the same time or they're worthless. 1K's seem to fare better than US CP's.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by tom911
Strictly in terms of lifetime status, you get about the same at 1MM with UA this year that you do with 2MM at AA, though at AA they historically were not just flight miles (that changes in December). AA gives you 4 systemwides while UA gives you 3. Both gave you midtier status which comes with 100% bonus miles.

If I worked off my lifetime midtier status next year on both carriers, AA would give me 100% bonus miles while UA would give me 50%. I recognize that UA throws in some other perks with their 2012 program that you find value with, though some of those don't kick in until after 75K, but to me it all comes down to the bonus miles. 50% or 75% doesn't work for me. I want 100% bonus miles. If I picked a new program today with the goal of building miles for award travel, and only intending to fly 50K a year, AA would give me 100,000 miles while UA would give me 75,000 miles. I've had elite status for 20 years now and hope to be traveling another 20 at least. Start adding up the miles and UA just doesn't work for me now at midtier.

Right now it's easier for me to move the UA portion of my flying over to AA, but if I can get 100% bonus miles at midtier on someone else in Star Alliance I'd seriously need to look at that as my second plan and do a status match from AA. When I get my 100K out of the way with AA next year I may very well do that so I'm not reliant on a single alliance. Rest of the year I'm burning UA miles.
US provides a 50% RDM bonus to flyers at the 50,000 mile level.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: United, Turkish
You are lucky, my detailed complaint to United email did not even rate a response. My wife and I are both gold members. We have the choice of United or Lufthansa. Cutting the united bonus makes lufthnasa flights that much more attractive. DUMB DUMB DUMB
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UAL 1P
Another disgusted 1P/2P flyer

Adding my voice to those expressing disgust that UAL is "elevating" its top-tier experience by dragging down the 2P's. Relegating 2Ps to E+ middle seats at check-in, rather than a stress-free reserved seat, is a terrible move on UAL's part. After all those years reserved seating for 2Ps (except exit rows), I guess the computers have decided that UAL prefers to lose the 2Ps and sell their E+ seats rather than provide a modest benefit to the folks who generally buy their 25k miles of tickets. If this policy isn't reversed, I will definitely re-examine my travel plans for the 2012; if there is a good chance I won't make 1P that year, I'll let the bottom line price determine whose metal I fly (which probably won't be UAL).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:17 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ba739
It doesn't matter what you think....an ancient Chinese saying "If you don't open your mouth...no one will say you are a mute"
I don't even know what this means or how it applies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.