Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl29
In my case, most of my travel for biz is not over a Saturday night and often booked relatively last minute, so it often comes from the higher fare buckets. My personal travel I try to get the best fare while staying in the alliance and if possible on my prefered carrier. UA will miss my biz tickets, and I fly a lot domestically on biz, but they probably don't care as much on my personal travel.

I have already started my guerilla campaign against UA. I had a little time while on a leisure trip to pick out 15 people from my address book and email them about what UA was doing, suggesting they move their biz, and giving a link on how to do a challenge to AA. I included several links to FT. I also suggested they pass the message on to other CO/UA flyers. When I get back to work, I am going to start talking face to face to colleagues who fly CO or UA and let them know what is happening and what their options are. My goal is to make it a UA-free workplace!
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Hell hath no fury like a flygirl29 scorned
You can say that again!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:43 pm

I sent an e-mail to [email protected] over the weekend and already got a call Monday morning from a Continental employee. They must have looked up my phone number through the e-mail address being attached to my OnePass profile.

He apologized for any frustration so far and said his job was to consolidate all the feedback from these changes and then bring it back to the board of directors. He also mentioned that the more people raise their voices, the more likely it will be that they will revisit some of the program choices.

So please make your voice heard and e-mail Jeff Smisek directly.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
2 free bags if I read it correctly.
Not sure where you read that...

Does DL still offer more than 2 bags? I saw that AF/KLM allow 3 free bags for lowest tier
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhawke
I sent an e-mail to [email protected] over the weekend and already got a call Monday morning from a Continental employee. They must have looked up my phone number through the e-mail address being attached to my OnePass profile.

He apologized for any frustration so far and said his job was to consolidate all the feedback from these changes and then bring it back to the board of directors. He also mentioned that the more people raise their voices, the more likely it will be that they will revisit some of the program choices.

So please make your voice heard and e-mail Jeff Smisek directly.
This factual scenario sounds rather implausible.

Originally Posted by flygirl29
In my case, most of my travel for biz is not over a Saturday night and often booked relatively last minute, so it often comes from the higher fare buckets. My personal travel I try to get the best fare while staying in the alliance and if possible on my prefered carrier. UA will miss my biz tickets, and I fly a lot domestically on biz, but they probably don't care as much on my personal travel.

I have already started my guerilla campaign against UA. I had a little time while on a leisure trip to pick out 15 people from my address book and email them about what UA was doing, suggesting they move their biz, and giving a link on how to do a challenge to AA. I included several links to FT. I also suggested they pass the message on to other CO/UA flyers. When I get back to work, I am going to start talking face to face to colleagues who fly CO or UA and let them know what is happening and what their options are. My goal is to make it a UA-free workplace!
Hmmm. Let's see.

You said earlier that you similarly abandoned Delta. Now United.

There go the two largest carriers.

I guess if AA irks you, you'll be on Greyhound?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90

Does DL still offer more than 2 bags? I saw that AF/KLM allow 3 free bags for lowest tier
DL is 2 for Silver's.

UA aren't just driving away low-tier elites, they are also driving away those traveling to Asia who fill up the back of the bus. UA now only allows one free checked bag for GMs going to Asia (Japan for some odd reason still gets 2). You better believe that travel agents who deal with Asia will be letting their clients know of the $70 2nd bag fee.

Rumors are that DL will be charging for 2nd bag to Asia as well now too, race to the bottom for the American carriers it seems.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

I saw DL offers 2 bags to all tiers. However, they're all 70 lb bags.

Originally Posted by PBAudit
United highlighted the opportunity to earn additional miles and upgrades by booking Y/B fares (post 1340). It would be interesting to see United's response to a high PRASM 2P/1P who states the following;

- High PRASM, mostly last minute business travel
- Cannot take advangage of the Y/B uprgade & additional miles, due to company booking policies.
- United 25k/50k elite levels are not competitive with AA/DL/US
- Requested a status match with other airline
- Will no longer be using United for last minute business travel

This is the type of email that United should be most worried about.
I got a response from UA complaining about the bags and E+ at check in. I also mentioned that next year, my employer requires me flying on refundable fares which will most likely be Y/B/M.

They told me that I would likely be upgraded on those fares and that UA's the only one that offers E+. They completely ignored the bag. Also mentioned that they forwarded the message on to MP.

At any rate, I responded with the following:

If Y/B fare does is not upgraded for whatever reason (paid F, GS, etc), I'm STILL stuck in E- on a very expensive fare.

Y/B upgrades do not help me internationally. My only option is either a mileage upgrade, buy up with cash, or sit in E-. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'd get an E+ middle. Given that the average fare I could find to Europe was in the neighborhood of $3000 for a B ticket, not being guaranteed E+ is unacceptable, especially with higher level elites traveling on cheaper tix.

I suggested making E+ available, regardless of status, for anyone paying for a Y/B ticket. This isn't anything new as UA used to do this in the past.

I also mentioned that while I haven't decided what I'm doing yet, I'm seriously considering US and AA.

My only knock on US is the lack of EQM bonus for Y/B fares. UA gives 50% more which isn't insignificant. US only gives bonuses for C and F across all star carriers. Y/B are screwed.

I agree that UA doesn't start to beat US out until 75k, but UA still beats them at that point. AA's the only real competition

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:05 pm

Sign in to United.com, click on Mileage Plus, click on Elite benefits ( MileagePlus program details for 2012) and you will see under Premier " Check two bags for free".
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, TK Elite, HHonors Diamond
UA/CO combined Elite Status Question

I just received my upgraded OnePass status cards but in the letter, it notes that my status will expire January 31, 2012. I called the OnePass line but there was a lengthy wait so I figured I would check here as well.

I assume it means the OnePass Elite benefits expire January 31, 2012 when the MileagePlus benefits are merged. I just want to make sure that my status isn't going to expire in four months.

As always, thanks for the help and insight.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
Regarding the Global Entry benefit, tread very carefully. GE is much more important to have than $100.
As a dual-passport with Australia, I have an APEC card from the Australian government, which gives me access to the "crew" lines at all the APEC card countries.

The US immigration honors the card as a member of APEC, but does not issue cards to US citizens. Hence I'm able to blast thru US immigration to the consternation of my fellow passengers.

Having been subjected to an extensive AFP and FBI investigation prior to my Australian permanent residency, and again on my citizenship application, I am loathe to subject myself to any further intrusiveness by the US government.

Originally Posted by Jorgen
So am I right in thinking that UA's brilliant strategy of leaking slightly worse sounding changes three months ago so that they can release not-quite-as-bad ones today and make everyone happy has paid off?
That would be the cynical view.

The more likely scenario is that they've listened intently to their customers, both the high-mileage as well as the mid-level flyers; parsed the numbers, and showed up with a plan that meets everyone's needs.

I'm very happy with the changes, especially the provision for spouses who should be recognized for the sacrifices *they* make being married to those who's careers require them to travel extensively. It's a smart move.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jimmc66
That would be the cynical view.

The more likely scenario is that they've listened intently to their customers, both the high-mileage as well as the mid-level flyers; parsed the numbers, and showed up with a plan that meets everyone's needs.

I'm very happy with the changes, especially the provision for spouses who should be recognized for the sacrifices *they* make being married to those who's careers require them to travel extensively. It's a smart move.
+1

This was one of two major features that I envied from the CO program (the other being the 24-hour window for flight changes), although I completely understand why some us are unhappy about the change.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Restricted Fare Upgrades

I wonder if United will call the new System Wide Upgrades, Restricted Fare Upgrades. Its very frustrating because I do all my travel booking via Egencia and have no visibility into the fare until the itin is built. Then I can never remember if Y or B is higher than K because they don't make any sense. Thus, I fly in coach with perfectly good SWUs that expire every year.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
My letter to Mr. Smisek:

"While the changes to the 1K program do not effect my girlfriend or myself, the company I do occasional courier work and does approximately $200K in business has asked me to request a status match with Delta as they will be moving their business from UA due to many of their employees are Premier Executive and they are unwilling to sit back and accept the 50% bonuses, a vast majority are willing to accept 75%, but unfortunately not enough of the employees fit into that new category..

I hope United will revisit these changes by offering Gold 75%, Platinum 100% and 1K 110% and make it something everyone can swallow by still maintaining a reason to move up in tiers beyond just the Gold level."

Will be interesting to see the response, I suggest others ask for the same levels as I think they what everyone would be happy with.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jonu
If we focus on the items for Silver/Gold (and Plat, to a lesser degree) the one thing where these changes put UA at a competitive disadvantage is the reduced mileage bonuses (RDM). I am hoping here that once UA sees no other airlines matching, they will quietly backtrack.
RDM is competitive with DL for Golds/1P and better than DL for 2P, as 150 UA RDM are worth as much as 200 DL RDM, and 125 UA RDM are definitely worth more than 125 DL RDM.

1 bag vs. 2: how does this compare to other airlines for 25k EQM?
UA is the only US FF program that doesn't allow 2 free bags for all elite tiers. How long that remains that way....
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Sign in to United.com, click on Mileage Plus, click on Elite benefits ( MileagePlus program details for 2012) and you will see under Premier "• Check two bags for free".
That's a current benefit.

ETA: And regardless, no it doesn't. MileagePlus in 2012 says: Premier Silver: One bag, up to 50lbs. (23 kg.)

Policy may vary when flying on Copa Airlines.

Originally Posted by bjdriscoll
I just received my upgraded OnePass status cards but in the letter, it notes that my status will expire January 31, 2012. I called the OnePass line but there was a lengthy wait so I figured I would check here as well.

I assume it means the OnePass Elite benefits expire January 31, 2012 when the MileagePlus benefits are merged. I just want to make sure that my status isn't going to expire in four months.

As always, thanks for the help and insight.
Yes, just like every year. The status you gain this year is good until Jan 31, at which point you get status for next year, good till the following Jan 31.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Like everyone else, I'm bummed about the new plan.

I know most of us are getting the shaft with bonus miles, but I didn't see anything in the new 2012 MileagePlus program regarding EQM/PQM bonuses for JCDZ/YB class fares.

Does anyone if this is changing and what it looks like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.