Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:00 pm

Looks like the Sam's club gift cards can be used at Sam's gas stations as well. So a $60 fill up (6x$10 cards) nets 3000 miles for those with the 2x/1000 bonus. This assumes sam's club reports the transaction to e-mall, which then reports it to UA, as 6 separate $10 gift card transactions. Is this risky?

Last edited by bangkokiscool; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Shell_FF
Sam's Club gift cards can be purchased in $10 increments and with free shipping. Cards can be used at Sam's and Walmart. Don’t see anything on MP Shopping stating gift card purchases at Sam’s Club are ineligible.
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
Anyone else know a reason why this would not work?
I don't see anything that would not allow this. Oddly, Walmart.com specifically says that you can't buy gift cards and get points, yet Sam's Club.....

Another interesting one:
1) Buy Petsmart.com e-gift cards (no shipping charge, $10 available)
2) Get 4 points/$ for the purchase
3) Use the e-gift card to purchase regular gift cards ($25 minimum, $1 shipping)
4) Get 4 points/$ for the purchase (again)
5) Take regular gift cards to brick and mortar Petsmart to buy your pet supplies or buy your stuff online and incur the shipping charge for yet another transaction at 4 points/$

So, if you're willing to incur two shipping charges, you could get a triple dip I think. With only $1 shipping per $25 you can double dip.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by mooper
Two things to add... your assumptions don't factor in the shipping cost for the $10 gift cards. I haven't poured through the site yet to verify, but I've read it's something like $2.95/each if you do separate $10 transactions. This would put a big dent in the return, though it would still be worthwhile, if accurate. It appears, however, that $25 e-gift-cards are free. That would also reduce the return, but wouldn't involve any fees.
Actually, all gift cards purchased through www.homedepot.com qualify for free shipping. You just have to link to the actual site through the shopping portal. Agree that if there was a shipping charge, this would be less appealing!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr

Another interesting one:
1) Buy Petsmart.com e-gift cards (no shipping charge, $10 available)
2) Get 4 points/$ for the purchase
3) Use the e-gift card to purchase regular gift cards ($25 minimum, $1 shipping)
4) Get 4 points/$ for the purchase (again)
5) Take regular gift cards to brick and mortar Petsmart to buy your pet supplies or buy your stuff online and incur the shipping charge for yet another transaction at 4 points/$

So, if you're willing to incur two shipping charges, you could get a triple dip I think. With only $1 shipping per $25 you can double dip.
OK, I ran some math on this, using the double dip.

You can purchase 39 $10 e-gift certificates. Those can be turned into 15 $25 physical gift cards ($375 in value, meaning 96.15% of value preserved after 15 $1 shipping charges). With 4x pts, the purchases are worth 3120 pts. The 54 separate transactions are worth 27,000 pts in the promotion (assuming 2 for 1k offer).

So, 30,120 pts all together. And since you would only do this if you were actually going to spend money at Petsmart anyway, the cost is only the $15 lost on shipping the physical gift cards, which works out to 0.000498 $/mile (as in 0.0498 cpm).
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:19 am

^ Ingenious!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:00 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Looks like the Sam's club gift cards can be used at Sam's gas stations as well. So a $60 fill up (6x$10 cards) nets 3000 miles for those with the 2x/1000 bonus. This assumes sam's club reports the transaction to e-mall, which then reports it to UA, as 6 separate $10 gift card transactions. Is this risky?
If these are truly eligible then most if not all gas stations w/Wall-mart are knocking off 10 cents a gallon thru end of September using the gift cards.^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG
Looks like you have to be a Sam's member to buy the gift cards, unless you want to pay 10% more
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
if it doesn't say gift cards not allowed it should be fine, in my opinion at least
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Any idea if iTunes gift cards will work for this promo?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: aa, spg
Hi all, how long should it take for transactions to show up under Recent Purchases on the Milage Plus shopping site?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
With their weekly discount codes (vary between 40% to 80% off), the cost of the $25 cert (usually costs $10) would be $6 down to $2. Current code is "SCHOOL" for 60% off ($25 cert for $4). Just be careful you are getting maximum value out of it because if you are using the discount codes you'll need to buy more than 1 to meet the $10 threshold.
The MP Shopping website states that use of coupons not found on their site invalidates the earning of reward miles. I have not found the restaurant.com coupon codes on the MP website. Does anyone have experience with earning miles when using a coupon?

"Please refrain from the use of any promotional code or coupon not listed on the MileagePlus Shopping site as it will negate the indicated reward. Orders placed through another loyalty program or search engine are not eligible for reward."
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective
The MP Shopping website states that use of coupons not found on their site invalidates the earning of reward miles. I have not found the restaurant.com coupon codes on the MP website. Does anyone have experience with earning miles when using a coupon?

"Please refrain from the use of any promotional code or coupon not listed on the MileagePlus Shopping site as it will negate the indicated reward. Orders placed through another loyalty program or search engine are not eligible for reward."
Hm. I see slightly different language on the MP website: "Note: Please refrain from use of any promotional code or coupon not listed on this site as it may negate the indicated reward." (Bolding is mine)

Having said that, I don't believe I have ever purchased from Restaurant.com on MP Shopping. I know I have on the Marriott site and probably others, but never in bulk.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by zilberbrand
Hi all, how long should it take for transactions to show up under Recent Purchases on the Milage Plus shopping site?
Depends...some show up in a few days...some take a month....but some don't show up AT ALL and you have to spend months exchanging emails tracking them down.....Home Depot and Sears are always vendors I have problems with....
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by sargenet
Be careful ordering anything from Sears.com. My orders for regular merchandise never show up and I always have to wait months and months to get the miles...this after many email exchanges and research...so you might have to fight hard to not only get the points PLUS have those purchases included in the bonus.
Thanks for the warning about Sears.

But, with other stores, say Staples, for the transaction to count, do you have to go through giftcertificates.com to buy giftcards (with S&H)? Or can you buy directly from the store?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
Thanks for the warning about Sears.

But, with other stores, say Staples, for the transaction to count, do you have to go through giftcertificates.com to buy giftcards (with S&H)? Or can you buy directly from the store?
It seems to vary all over the board. MP Shopping shows two things for Staples - Online and Gift Cards. The "Online" tab doesn't say you can't buy gift cards. However, if you go to the Staples site and try to purchase gift cards it transfers you off to a different site which makes me think you wouldn't get credit at all.

Of course the Gift Cards links takes you to giftcertificates.com.

Conversely, for Target MP Shopping specifically says that gift card purchases are not eligible for points. There is no giftcertificates.com option.

The term I think is the most interesting is on Home Depot. They don't disallow gift cards for points, but do disallow points for transactions "in which a gift card is used to purchase another gift card". So no infinite gift card churn on Home Depot apparently.

I wonder if there are other places that do allow infinite churn??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.