Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Sure about that? Never sent to UA but I have to US during their grand slam promo. There's a difference in the way transfers and "stays" (which could be dines only) are posted.

With US, transfers show as "CONVERSION: SPG POINTS TO MILES"
And stay credits show up as "STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST ADD TRANSFER"
I don't really know. I never did mileage transfer to UA. Maybe I should.

My SPG stay posted like this.
Jan. 30, 2011 STARWOOD ADD MILES 306
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: aa, spg
Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
No, it's not listed there. I didn't get a confirmation email either. Did you or anyone get some kind proof of registration?
I'm actually wondering this as well. When I click on the link there is nothing to indicate it registered me. I emailed them to ask, will update once (if) I hear back.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K .951MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis President's Club
1P (almost 1K) earning miles in all ways possible....got the 4 for 500 email - no surprises here
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: CX GO, HH Gold, IHG Plat
4/500 for this GM here. Took advantage of the 4K Netflix promo and $100/1000mi Dining promo a few months ago. Still disappointed MP+ didn't honor my Thinkpad purchase from Lenovo.com, which should've given me 1.75mi/$.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We'll see how well this one is implemented vs. the partner activity bonus back in February (which most pax seem to have never received without significant work with MP CS).

ETA: Wonder if MyPoints transfers will count? I've already got around a few dozen partner activities lined up in the timeframe, plus have plenty of MyPoints ready to transfer over to MP if needed. (Realized the end date is 20 Nov, too; I was thinking it ended in September... that takes it well into my busiest travel period of the year and thus plenty more hotel stays and car rentals, plus perhaps some Christmas shopping.)

Last edited by exerda; Aug 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I was targeted also. I don't find this promo to be especially compelling. I can't see it shifting my behavior. Is it just me?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by oneeye4u76
So a $10 minimum through the shopping portal - All vendors included or select?

Can the same shopping vendor/dining partner be used more then once? How about more then once a day?
It sounds like the answer is yes, but I would love to have a confirmation of this.

I got the 2 transactions/1000 miles. I guess I am lucky, it seems to be pretty random.

Here is what I am thinking:

On the UA Shopping Mall, buy $10 gift card on giftcertificates.com ($2.95 fee) for CVS. Use that CVS gift card to buy other gift cards at the store (gas, groceries, etc.) Assuming that is stuff you would otherwise still buy, you will be paying $5.90 for the 1000 miles (2.95 x 2).

Assuming you put the giftcertificates.com purchase on a miles earning card (say 1 mile/dollar) you would get 25.9 miles from the purchase, plus the 1000 miles. You would also get 51.8 miles from the shopping mall (2 miles/dollar). So the cost per mile would be $0.0054746 ($5.90 for 1077.7 miles. This does not factor in the $20 worth of gift cards because that is money you have to spend anyways.)

I hope I am right about this, but please comment/correct my work.

Last edited by will2288; Aug 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm Reason: edit
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Offers from United? I haven't had one for about 3 or 4 years now. Not one.
+1
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zilberbrand
I'm actually wondering this as well. When I click on the link there is nothing to indicate it registered me. I emailed them to ask, will update once (if) I hear back.
Yeah, people are spending so much time trying to figure out what activities count and what don't. If we can't register, none of the activities will count.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Billiken
No e-mail received.
Nothing on MP promotions.

1P and CO Plat
And this 1k (& CO Plat Elite) got sent to the box with rien, bupkes & gornisht
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by goalie
And this 1k (& CO Plat Elite) got sent to the box with rien, bupkes & gornisht
I've been on a 2 year misconduct penalty. The whistle hasn't blown for me to go back to the bench.

I actually could use this promo, alas I wasn't targeted.

Last edited by dsquared37; Aug 16, 2011 at 9:20 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hw711
Yeah, people are spending so much time trying to figure out what activities count and what don't. If we can't register, none of the activities will count.
Brought to you by the same company that owns .bomb......
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by will2288
On the UA Shopping Mall, buy $10 gift card on giftcertificates.com ($2.95 fee) for CVS. Use that CVS gift card to buy other gift cards at the store (gas, groceries, etc.) Assuming that is stuff you would otherwise still buy, you will be paying $5.90 for the 1000 miles (2.95 x 2).

Assuming you put the giftcertificates.com purchase on a miles earning card (say 1 mile/dollar) you would get 25.9 miles from the purchase, plus the 1000 miles. You would also get 51.8 miles from the shopping mall (2 miles/dollar). So the cost per mile would be $0.0054746 ($5.90 for 1077.7 miles. This does not factor in the $20 worth of gift cards because that is money you have to spend anyways.)

I hope I am right about this, but please comment/correct my work.
Your plan should work, however, if you're going to make a trip to CVS and spend time you wouldn't have otherwise swapping gift cards, being in the store, etc., then you should consider if 1000 miles is even worth your time. I rarely go shopping anywhere but online, so to me, it's not worth the bother. I'd gladly pay $20 to have an extra 20 minutes added to my days, so 1000 miles isn't worth losing 20 minutes.

I'll probably use this offer only if a superb miles-for-flowers offer comes along this fall, or I otherwise make an online purchase I was considering anyway. If, however, anyone has come up with some cheap activities or purchases that don't require time spent running around, I'd love to hear about them (as would others, I'm sure).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by will2288
On the UA Shopping Mall, buy $10 gift card on giftcertificates.com ($2.95 fee) for CVS. Use that CVS gift card to buy other gift cards at the store (gas, groceries, etc.) Assuming that is stuff you would otherwise still buy, you will be paying $5.90 for the 1000 miles (2.95 x 2)...
<snip>
the cost per mile would be $0.0054746 ($5.90 for 1077.7 mile
Originally Posted by mooper
I'd gladly pay $20 to have an extra 20 minutes added to my days, so 1000 miles isn't worth losing 20 minutes.
With no limit to the number of bonus miles you can earn, I was reading will2288 to suggest repeating the CVS purchase described here many, many times, to go to CVS with, say, $2000 of gift cards in hand and 107,700 bonus miles pocketed for $590 in spend and a half hour at CVS. That might be more worthwhile.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by hoosiereph
With no limit to the number of bonus miles you can earn, I was reading will2288 to suggest repeating the CVS purchase described here many, many times, to go to CVS with, say, $2000 of gift cards in hand and 107,700 bonus miles pocketed for $590 in spend and a half hour at CVS. That might be more worthwhile.
Exactly. The plan would be to buy many CVS cards over a few weeks, then go to the store once and buy other gift cards for things I need (like groceries, gas, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.