Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by akp
Sam's was also pretty straightforward with 22 of 22 posting, though I had some activation issues which are not resolved.

Anita
You may have to pester Sam's on those activation issues. I still have some issues unresolved from over 3 weeks ago. I suggest you continue to call the
1-888 746-7726 until you get it resolved otherwise you may be left with GC's that are unusable. It seems to be a problem for them. I wouldn't let it go for very long....just a suggestion.

HD is such a question mark now because of their spotty postings that who knows what will happen there. HD(posting issues) and Sam's(activation issues) both need to get their problems fixed.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by akp
- 18/18 Drugstore.com posted, but most have issues. 7 are dated 9/10 instead of 9/9, and another 7 are split into multiple sub-$10 items instead of by transaction.
-Anita
Drugstore.com post items in "sub" categories. So does Target and JcPenney. I have the same issues. Lucky for me I have at least one item per order over $10 so I should get credit. I am not sure why they do this...

I am also missing HD (merchandise and gift cards), Sears (merchandise) and Lego (gift cards) ...all placed before 9/1. Everything else has shown up. My experience is that if you don't see it within 30 days...you have to track it down.

I have never had an order show up by itself after 30 days. I don't know why, but they just MISS orders. It amazes me that each day some things show up and others do not. I don't know if the merchant is not providing the correct information or it Carterra is screwing up....
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:30 am

I am just now getting started with this promo, bought something from newegg this morning. I wasn't able to go through all the 100+ pages of this thread, but can someone tell me if it would work if I bought multiple $10 e-giftcard for newegg.com? I buy frequently at newegg and will be able to use those gc's.

Also, not sure where you guys are buying all the gc's from, but when I look on the united sites gift cards section, it tags on a $2.95 fee for the purchase of the gift card.

MarathonMan, I think everybody received that 5 off 25 coupon for staples.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iridium
I am just now getting started with this promo, bought something from newegg this morning. I wasn't able to go through all the 100+ pages of this thread, but can someone tell me if it would work if I bought multiple $10 e-giftcard for newegg.com? I buy frequently at newegg and will be able to use those gc's.
They should count per the terms, however mine have not posted. However, the purchase I made with the e-gcs did post.

Also, not sure where you guys are buying all the gc's from, but when I look on the united sites gift cards section, it tags on a $2.95 fee for the purchase of the gift card.

Many retailers sell gcs on their site with free shipping as opposed to going thru the ua gc link
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
They should count per the terms, however mine have not posted. However, the purchase I made with the e-gcs did post.

Many retailers sell gcs on their site with free shipping as opposed to going thru the ua gc link
That was my concern that they might not post. Need to find gc's that post and those that I might be using atleast in the next 6 months.

I don't really want to lock $2k in gc's that I might not use soon.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:30 am

That was my concern that they might not post. Need to find gc's that post and those that I might be using atleast in the next 6 months.

I don't really want to lock $2k in gc's that I might not use soon.
Buy.com has worked... their electronic cards. I ordered 2 just to test it out. One $10 and another $10. A week apart and I received 20 miles each. I just used them yesterday for a camera lens I was buying...

But I planned ahead. I knew that buy.com had what I wanted...priced the same as Amazon with free ship. I wanted to buy a few more certificates and wait to get the lens...but the hubby has been antsy for his camera lens and I couldn't hold him off any longer!!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

well the UA site may have since changed with regards to MOST GCs. Maybe they have IT people who found a way to implement something whenever one is bought or used. Oh well. Worked for a while.

And yes, I think you are correct--everyone used that staples coupon haha
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
well the UA site may have since changed with regards to MOST GCs. Maybe they have IT people who found a way to implement something whenever one is bought or used. Oh well. Worked for a while.

And yes, I think you are correct--everyone used that staples coupon haha
I guess I was a little too late to join the party. Ah well I'll truant of I get any bonus miles, good or else there will be other offers. I bought a bunch of newegg gift cards, will wait and see if they post. The t&c don't say that we can't buy newegg gc for miles.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Both Kohl's and Petsmart now say that GC's don't earn miles. Too bad. They were both posting well. But Barnes and Noble now explicitly says GC purchased DO count for miles, but using a GC doesn't. Looks like a bunch of stores are updating their "How To Earn" profiles.

EDIT: Dick's Sporting Goods also now says no miles for GC purchases. But you can USE GCs on a purchase and get credit. Which is completely opposite of other retailers. So, everyone needs to relook at the conditions for each store.

Meijer and REI, in addition to B&N noted above, still are okay with GC purchases.

Last edited by JenGal; Sep 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:48 pm

That is frustrating re: Kohls, as I purchased GC a couple weeks ago, and now they'll probably claim that they are not honoring those purchases
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:51 pm

I went to order another Buy.com cert today and noticed the same thing. I bought a couple earlier in the month and it did not say anything about purchases made with gift cards not being eligible for miles...

So if I have a $150 item...and I only use a $10 cert does it mean the whole order does not count? Even if I pay the balance with a credit card... That really doesn't sound fair!

So I have decided to order a gift cert every couple of days...then eventually I will use Chase Ultimate Rewards or another rewards mall to cash in the certs... someone that does not have that "restriction"....

Originally Posted by Chancensam
That is frustrating re: Kohls, as I purchased GC a couple weeks ago, and now they'll probably claim that they are not honoring those purchases
If it shows up as pending you should be good to go. The problem is if the orders do not show up and you have to send in a request for missing miles....then you might get the message back that "they do not qualify"...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by JenGal
Both Kohl's and Petsmart now say that GC's don't earn miles. Too bad. They were both posting well. But Barnes and Nobel now explicitly says GC purchased DO count for miles, but using a GC doesn't. Looks like a bunch of stores are updating their "How To Earn" profiles.
Add Staples to the growing list of no Miles for GC (I'm talking about the Online Tab we were using for the free shipping GC, not the GC tab that takes you to Giftcertificates.com where you pay for the shipping).
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
I'm talking about the Online Tab we were using for the free shipping GC, not the GC tab that takes you to Giftcertificates.com where you pay for the shipping).
Yes, I was referring to that also -- buying GC's from the stores themselves, not giftcertificates.com.

Well, too bad for them. Some stores (like PetsMart and Kohls) were getting additional business from me than they would have normally had as I was switching my spend to them thru GC purchases. Now they have ended miles earning, I will go shopping at my preferred stores instead. They lose.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
What a disaster.

REI doesn't allow g/c purchases now either.
Aeropostale is out.
Gamestop is out.
Toys R Us is out.
Macy's is out.

I'm done with this promotion. If I get my 12k or so miles I'll count myself lucky. Now I can concentrate more on US's Grand Slam.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:06 pm

I think REI is still OK to earn points on a GC purchase, you just don't earn points when using a GC. From the shopping portal:

"Purchase of a gift card/e-gift card is eligible for rewards but a purchase made with a gift card and buy online pick up in store is not eligible."

'Course this is as of 6:07 Pacific time - it may change by the time you read this post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.