Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:06 pm

If you are booking UA metal awards, then they have the Standard/Saver award tiers. So Minneapolis/Denver to Naples at 60K would be a Saver economy award, but 50K from Minneapolis to Connecticut is a Standard award.

On Star Alliance partner awards, all flights are at the Saver level, so you should definitely look for inventory on say Lufthansa or Swiss, especially considering UA's Y product.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Back in the day, you could (had to?) choose between Saver (half-priced) and Standard (full-priced) awards.

Nowadays, you can have mixed awards, but you have to be an expert to know how many miles the flight should cost to see if any are priced at the Standard award level. I've redeemed over a million UA miles, but not once have I ever redeemed an award at the Standard level.

Too bad the Saver award selection was removed from united.com. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that UACO wants us to spend more miles than we need to!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I've been told by a source I won't reveal that this is a temporary issue as they don't want to "sell" award seats when there are so many schedule changes to come in the next six months. This includes international routes switching from 3 cabin to 2 cabin and vice versa.
Unfortunately it might be a long time before this is all of the merged schedules are settled and announced so we might be in limbo for quite a while.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nothing like taking a hammer to a job requiring a scalpel...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Since you are a Platinum [no change fees on awards], go ahead and book the seat on the international flight. Then when the award space opens up for the domestic segment, call them and add that segment.

Oh Oh; I can feel a dope slap coming on.

So you are saying that as a UA 1K (or CO plat) wanting to book XXX-YYY-ZZZ, I can book YYY-ZZZ at a saver award and then subsequently add on XXX-YYY when it comes available????

If so that is amazing news!!!

OK Dope slap away at me.

Lurker
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
I've been told by a source I won't reveal that this is a temporary issue as they don't want to "sell" award seats when there are so many schedule changes to come in the next six months.
I imagine this rumor won't quite launch as many posts as that other rumor...

That said, it'll be good to see things in 6 months to verify that things have actually improved.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I've been told by a source I won't reveal that this is a temporary issue as they don't want to "sell" award seats when there are so many schedule changes to come in the next six months. This includes international routes switching from 3 cabin to 2 cabin and vice versa.
Unfortunately it might be a long time before this is all of the merged schedules are settled and announced so we might be in limbo for quite a while.
This was what I was hoping was going on and can understand some issues with merging the fleet. Just hope it doesn't go as bad as other issues that seemed to screw us out of some seats.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Platinum, 1k, mm united, Hyatt Diamond
I looked at 7/25/12. The 9Am to MCO from o'hare was 12,500. Everything else was 25,000 (for one way)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
SBA-LAX/SFO/DEN used to be easy for connecting on award tickets, seats available every day all day. All zeroes for days now.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
If you are booking UA metal awards, then they have the Standard/Saver award tiers. So Minneapolis/Denver to Naples at 60K would be a Saver economy award, but 50K from Minneapolis to Connecticut is a Standard award.
I realize that but there are not any saver awards available whereas in the pass I could get a 25K saver anywhere from 331 days out to a week before my trip

Star Alliance doesn't have any flights either for 25K for my route

That makes sense and would be very nice, the next flight I need is in July so hopefully the 25K savers will be back before then

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 31, 2011 at 4:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Use your miles for international premium cabin travel on partners. Great values and good availability.
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
I guess a lot of us here are aware of this hint. However, for people not based in an international gateway (e.g. myself at BOS, which is not an international gateway for Asia), for my travel to Asia next July, I need to first jump on one of the domestic segments to the international gateway to use the partners. The problem now is the domestic segment.
I experienced the same thing when trying to book award travel May 2012 SFO-LHR. United no saver and 250k for C. Opted to my AS miles with partner BA and got F for 140k, including my LHR-EDI segments. Guess which miles seem more valuable.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I realize that but there are not any saver awards available whereas in the pass I could get a 25K saver anywhere from 331 days out to a week before my trip

Star Alliance doesn't have any flights either for 25K for my route
Look on the ANA tool for MSP-any Star hub, then any Star hub-BDL. Then finally look for the availability on the hub-to hub route. It's more complex, but definitely can be done.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:07 am

25,000 - 50,000: United Increases Standard Domestic Redemption

I've been with United Airlines for years. The standard redemption for a domestic RT flight was always 25,000 miles and 40,000 to Hawaii.

Today, even between popular routes, and even six or seven months out, it's all but impossible to obtain a RT fare for less than 50,000 miles.

I believe United has quietly increased its standard redemption from 25,000 to 50,000.

I have had a good deal of back and forth with customer service. They say there has been no policy change but searches for seats prove otherwise.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Welcome to FT.

They're still available - they're just limited relative to years past. Unfortunately, while the program took the "Mileage Plus" name, it's starting to look more and more like the old NonePass in action.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by JimDSull

I believe United has quietly increased its standard redemption from 25,000 to 50,000.
welcome to Flyertalk.
We here like to watch (and overanalyze) every move United makes - trust me, if they changed the napkins, you'd read a 20 page thread about it here. There is nothing United can do "quietly", it would be on here before it even happened.
Doubling of award requirements would send this forum into an indescribable frenzy and statements of leaving the airline, and how love is lost, etc

As others mentioned, 25000 seats are available, but use continental.com for searches. It could be worse - you could be trying to use Delta miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.