Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by allthe2s
..I now have 70k miles for a return LHR - HNL trip and want to go next summer.

I can find flights in the next few months at the saver rate but the rates for next summer are all at standard so I can't go without spending some cash.

Does anyone know how the saver rates work? Can I expect there to be more saver rates available later/nearer my preferred departure dates or is the summer always at standard rate? ...
First, where are you looking? if on united.com, there may be more options if you would check co.com (it is easy to move ua miles to co if needed) or call. unfortunately the united.com only shows some of the options.

Yes there will be saver awards but summer is a popular time and the early saver awards may be gone. Do you have some date flexibility?

Yes it is possible some additionally saver awards might open up but first would explore the options in first paragraph.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kb1992
Evidently, you haven't read this thread carefully.

Before July, saver domestic Y awards on UA were widely available if you book 5 months to 11 months in advance. XY9 NY9 almost everywhere.

Something happened since then. UA has eliminated most of these awards.

I have never seen this in the past 10 years.

UA is now even worse than DL.

I don't need to read the thread carefully. A great deal of it is nothing more than whining and rumor-mongering. Waste of time.

When you say "almost everywhere," do you honestly expect me to believe that you (and others) have checked EVERY SINGLE ROUTE, and EVERY SINGLE DATE PAIR for all of UA's destinations, over a lengthy period of time? That surely must be some astronomically huge number of possible combinations!!! More likely, people have checked a smallish sample of highly popular routes.

OK, I'm even willing to believe that there HAS been a change, a big one. It's just that I am not so invested in the necessity of booking so gol-durned far in advance. So many things can happen to upset one's travel plans -- not just the abovementioned flight schedule changes/cancellations, but also life events that can happen to anyone -- illness, death in the family, separation/divorce/new love, job loss, new job, nasty new (or old) boss who decides to put the kibbosh on your vacation plans, not to mention natural and/or human-caused disasters, and on and on and on. Booking far in advance allows more time for any of those things to occur. I guess it gives some people a sense of security to have their flights booked 11 months in advance, but then those same people tend to be shocked and outraged when anything happens to screw up their carefully laid plans (especially if they were unaware of things like change fees).
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by allthe2s
Hi,

I now have 70k miles for a return LHR - HNL trip and want to go next summer.

I can find flights in the next few months at the saver rate but the rates for next summer are all at standard so I can't go without spending some cash.

Does anyone know how the saver rates work? Can I expect there to be more saver rates available later/nearer my preferred departure dates or is the summer always at standard rate?

Your wisdom appreciated....

Thanks
Richard.
Look for partner awards, they are all at the Saver level. US has some good PHX-Hawaii availability- and look for Lufty or swiss transatlantic.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Maybe I'm just very lucky, but I've had no trouble finding saver awards (E, Biz & F) for EU locations next summer. I do my searches on CO as UA site is awful. Of course, saying this will probably end my lucky streak!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I don't need to read the thread carefully. A great deal of it is nothing more than whining and rumor-mongering. Waste of time.

When you say "almost everywhere," do you honestly expect me to believe that you (and others) have checked EVERY SINGLE ROUTE, and EVERY SINGLE DATE PAIR for all of UA's destinations, over a lengthy period of time? That surely must be some astronomically huge number of possible combinations!!! More likely, people have checked a smallish sample of highly popular routes.

OK, I'm even willing to believe that there HAS been a change, a big one. It's just that I am not so invested in the necessity of booking so gol-durned far in advance. So many things can happen to upset one's travel plans -- not just the abovementioned flight schedule changes/cancellations, but also life events that can happen to anyone -- illness, death in the family, separation/divorce/new love, job loss, new job, nasty new (or old) boss who decides to put the kibbosh on your vacation plans, not to mention natural and/or human-caused disasters, and on and on and on. Booking far in advance allows more time for any of those things to occur. I guess it gives some people a sense of security to have their flights booked 11 months in advance, but then those same people tend to be shocked and outraged when anything happens to screw up their carefully laid plans (especially if they were unaware of things like change fees).
So as someone who admits to not planning 330 days in advance, and therefore not looking for such availability, you are posting to claim that "there has been no change" and we are all "whining"? Apparently you plan things differently from others in this thread - which is fine for you. Parhaps you can start your own thread about availability at 3-5 months out and see whether there will be any "whining" there.
There HAS been a change here, absolutely had, and UA HAS always made a 330 day release (I know, I've booked them reliably for years) on almost every flight in every cabin. No longer, or at least, not at the moment.
And, BTW, some of us live fairly predictable lives when it comes to vacations structured around family, schools, timeshares, hotel awards, etc. And also have no concern about change fees (1k and above).
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:35 am

I almost wonder if there should be threads or at least posts on this thread where people found good availability. It seems so hit or miss. At first I thought it was almost impossible until I found some myself.

A lot of the time what I am looking for is "I want to spend a week (or two) at destination X, is there any saver first availability, any time?" Right now I can spend an hour looking at page after page that does not meet that criteria... Not the best use of my time, but if somebody else found a whole big swathe of them in say JUL 2012, that'd really help me out.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by StatusJon
I almost wonder if there should be threads or at least posts on this thread where people found good availability. It seems so hit or miss. At first I thought it was almost impossible until I found some myself.

A lot of the time what I am looking for is "I want to spend a week (or two) at destination X, is there any saver first availability, any time?" Right now I can spend an hour looking at page after page that does not meet that criteria... Not the best use of my time, but if somebody else found a whole big swathe of them in say JUL 2012, that'd really help me out.
I saw some United F NRT-SFO availability next July. At least I think that was the route.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by wcalvert
I saw some United F NRT-SFO availability next July. At least I think that was the route.
I have a trip planned, IAH-HKG -IAH next month. I found ample C and F saver awards, both directions, and for both the Pacific and Atlantic Routes. You have to be creative with your connection cities and piece together the flights like you always do, but there was and is a decent amount of availability, especially through Europe.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:27 pm

This complaint -- UA Saver award availability thin or nonexistent 330 days out -- has been made on MANY threads for YEARS now!!! Releasing awards that far in advance just hasn't been the way UA has done things, for a long time.
As I have said before I have been flying MSP to BDL 3 - 5 times a year since 2005 and booking 330 days out for 25K miles. I had plenty of flight options up until APRIL 2011 so you are wrong, but your statement below is quite humorous.

Personally, I have NEVER booked any air travel (either award OR paid with cash) that far in advance. I just generally cannot, or don't want to, plan eleven months in advance.

If you never book that far out then how in the world would you know if flights were available 330 days out or not ?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by miloteddy
I have a trip planned, IAH-HKG -IAH next month. I found ample C and F saver awards, both directions, and for both the Pacific and Atlantic Routes. You have to be creative with your connection cities and piece together the flights like you always do, but there was and is a decent amount of availability, especially through Europe.
The problem starts around March 2012 and gets worse as you head into the summer

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
So as someone who admits to not planning 330 days in advance, and therefore not looking for such availability, you are posting to claim that "there has been no change" and we are all "whining"? Apparently you plan things differently from others in this thread - which is fine for you. Parhaps you can start your own thread about availability at 3-5 months out and see whether there will be any "whining" there.
There HAS been a change here, absolutely had, and UA HAS always made a 330 day release (I know, I've booked them reliably for years) on almost every flight in every cabin. No longer, or at least, not at the moment.
And, BTW, some of us live fairly predictable lives when it comes to vacations structured around family, schools, timeshares, hotel awards, etc. And also have no concern about change fees (1k and above).

I love how clueless people ( who admit they have never booked far out) come on here and tell us nothing has changed.

You are dead on about booking in advance and MANY people do so

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I love how clueless people ( who admit they have never booked far out) come on here and tell us nothing has changed.

You are dead on about booking in advance and MANY people do so
I think clueless is a bit strong. Some people travel with less notice. However, if you know of future travel, and don't work as early as possible, then you have yourself to blame if the inventory is not what you want.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Originally Posted by StatusJon

I found good availability SFO-LHR July 2012 in Biz & First on CO site.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelsavant
I found good availability SFO-LHR July 2012 in Biz & First on CO site.
The topic of this thread is availability of saver awards on UA metal.

It is dismal.

CO site often shows partner availability, which has nothing to do with this thread.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by miloteddy
I think clueless is a bit strong. Some people travel with less notice. However, if you know of future travel, and don't work as early as possible, then you have yourself to blame if the inventory is not what you want.
Clueless isn't strong at all, the person is telling us the awards haven't changed and in the next paragraph states thay have never booked that far in advance , how would they know if something changed ?

Making statements such as they don't need to read the thread when in fact they do = CLUELESS

Most people in this thread ( and I think more and more will follow as they try to book summer vacations unless things change) realize UA has made a major change in the Saver flights and would like info on others who are seeing the same on routes they fly and maybe from people seeing 50K flights actually go back to 25K ( after April 2011) not someone telling us things haven't changed when we know very well they have.

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:00 pm

Well for a random date I chose 1/11 I found 8 (EIGHT) BusinessFirst Saver seats on:

CO50 EWR FRA
CO80 EWR GVA
CO96 EWR TXL
CO106 EWR MUC
CO28 EWR LHR
and probably a couple others I didn't look for

So the availability isn't all that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.