Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
Have you recently tried to get anything on LX? Nothing! Even LH is getting more difficult. I was trying to find 2 seats FRA-SFO for a 10-day window next July and there is zero availability either on UA or LH
LX is super easy to find C/F...at 48 hours out
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
The fact is the canary has died in the coal mine. We are now in a new era of flying and FF programs, one brought on by by the near oligopoly now in place coupled with an industry need to at least try to earn an appropriate risk-adjusted rate of return.
Yup

Originally Posted by Orwaid
My new strategy is to bag the whole loyalty thing and just buy the cheapest ticket for my needs. And yes, that includes buying miles when they go on sale; looking for exotic carriers for international C; using the cash saved from MRs to buy a Y-UP if I want.
Not a bad idea
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I've gotta figure an element of this is also related to some fairly major changes to the flights and capacity for next year. Having to rebook revenue tickets is one thing, but I could see them holding back seats to avoid disappointing people for the post-customer day 1 flights. After all, it'll cause a lot of disruption when they pull out of ORD
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jmr50
I've gotta figure an element of this is also related to some fairly major changes to the flights and capacity for next year. Having to rebook revenue tickets is one thing, but I could see them holding back seats to avoid disappointing people for the post-customer day 1 flights. After all, it'll cause a lot of disruption when they pull out of ORD
I sure hope they are holding back for merger reasons. I expect any airline to manage mileage tickets and hold back seats, but if UA becomes Delta and makes it impossible to plan seats on any time of desirable intl route then it becomes much less desirable to focus travel on UA. Combined with the huge reductions in 1K benefits (if they are true) and it's time to shop around internationally.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by USAF Flyboy
I sure hope they are holding back for merger reasons. I expect any airline to manage mileage tickets and hold back seats, but if UA becomes Delta and makes it impossible to plan seats on any time of desirable intl route then it becomes much less desirable to focus travel on UA. Combined with the huge reductions in 1K benefits (if they are true) and it's time to shop around internationally.
not much to shop around. Air Canada has ruined their program and makes Delta look amazing. For Canadians we have put up with over 10 years of cuts.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
UA used to release XY inventory for literally every flight when schedule opens up. I notice lately in my frequent market (US to Canada) that XY inventory is zeroed out. For example, XY is only available on very few days next April, May, and June.

Did inventory management change their algorithm in releasing XY seats? Does anyone else notice this change in other markets?
The boys from Houston are in charge and they are mighty stingy This is CO dba UA. It's a whole new ballgame. This is how they've run things for years.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:51 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by Renard
The boys from Houston are in charge and they are mighty stingy This is CO dba UA. It's a whole new ballgame. This is how they've run things for years.
Ironically, CO appears to have better availablity than UA for flights in the summer of 2012. I wish this is a just temporary period for UA to take care of flights planning for the future.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jmr50

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
Ironically, CO appears to have better availablity than UA for flights in the summer of 2012. I wish this is a just temporary period for UA to take care of flights planning for the future.
Depends where. Availability for us West Coasters can be incredibly difficult on CO.

I have an upcoming F award SFO-US-LAS-CO-EWR and onwards, and I'm waitlisted on both SFO-EWR and SFO-LAS on CO as Platinum -- ideally to remove the LAS stop, but if I have to connect there, I'd prefer to do it all on CO to avoid the interline US/CO connection and related terminal switch/security reclear (despite US's better in-flight service on that route). Nothing has been clearing at all on this.

Meanwhile, UA hasn't been releasing anything on their SFO-EWR either (though annoyingly I've spotted C space SFO-JFK on PS, but I don't have enough time to do the JFK-EWR transfer).
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:56 pm

Is the saver ticket as rare as the Snipe???

Newbie alert!

I have been a lurker and rare poster here for a while and thought I knew the secret. Simply plan ahead and get your saver tix 330 days out. Oops. No go bro. I want to go to Hawaii (Big island or Maui or any really) from Chicago, ORD in last week of July or first couple weeks of August 2012. I have CO/UA miles for the trip if there are saver tix available. To make matters worse, I was hoping for four tickets!

What say you all? Any hope? Advive? I was deflated when I started searching and found ZERO saver tix for almost any date from ORD to HNL or OGG.

Thanks for your time all

Also, I see many references to C tickets and Y tickets but I only know about E(conomy) B(usiness) and F(irst). What are those?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by kdjk5467
I have been a lurker and rare poster here for a while and thought I knew the secret. Simply plan ahead and get your saver tix 330 days out.
Continental's a bit stingy with giving out SaverPass inventory right as the schedule opens. While it's good that you're planning in advance, it's not a sure way of actually being successful. Check back frequently, but finding 4 seats might be tricky.

Can you be flexible with dates? Do you have to fly nonstop? UA/CO have Hawaiian gateways (for lack of a better term) at LAX, SFO, SNA, IAH, DEN, ORD, and EWR.

Also, I see many references to C tickets and Y tickets but I only know about E(conomy) B(usiness) and F(irst). What are those?
C -> Business. Y -> Economy.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:34 pm

I was able to 'buy' four first class saver award tickets for my family for next April, Saturday to Sunday trip (8 days) during prime spring break Hawaii travel... SFO - HNL, on UA.

I got them in June, ~300 days before travel.

We could have traveled on saver Y as well, but not with the optimal travel dates / times.

One thing to always remember, if there are only standard economy award tickets available, check to see if there is saver F inventory (for the same price as standard Y).

Good luck,
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Yes to your question OP.

I have seen a recent dramatic reduction in award availability never ever seen it this bad before:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16958889-post7.html

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...9/#post-716815
(pictures of search calendars showing every single day at 50k for a US domestic roundtrip in coach).
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:33 pm

Continental.com reveals availability for 3 in business/first on US/UA from ORD-OGG for example in July '12. So the availability's definitely there.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992

Not this summer, 2011. Of course, you can't find anything this summer.
Actually you can, I booked a 25K flight on June 28 MSP to BDL departing July 2, returning July15 for 25K miles

I even see some 25K flights in September. I made a few posts about this starting at the beggining of August as I was looking to book summer 2012 flights and everything was 50K

No reason at all to book more than 2 weeks in advance if you have to pay 50K except seat selection

Hopefully it's just temporary and will change after the merge.

I was able to manage a 25K flight the week before Memorial Day 2012 but I had to fly MSP/HPN and BDL /MSP return and book one way 12.5 K flights, this works for me as I live in CT halfway between Hartford and Westchester, NY

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 22, 2011 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Newbie alert!

I have been a lurker and rare poster here for a while and thought I knew the secret. Simply plan ahead and get your saver tix 330 days out. Oops. No go bro. I want to go to Hawaii (Big island or Maui or any really) from Chicago, ORD in last week of July or first couple weeks of August 2012. I have CO/UA miles for the trip if there are saver tix available. To make matters worse, I was hoping for four tickets!

What say you all? Any hope? Advive? I was deflated when I started searching and found ZERO saver tix for almost any date from ORD to HNL or OGG.

Thanks for your time all

I booked 4 saver award tickets for early Aug. 2011 back in Feb. At the time, XY/NY was wide open. Back in Nov, 2010, I booked 4 saver award tickets for Feb, 2011, but later cancelled.

The key for me is to be flexible, and look daily, if not twice a day.

Edit: Both of the above were for DEN-OGG direct flights.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Aug 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm Reason: Added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.