Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:50 am
Suspended

I like the idea that they will be protecting the 1k level and its benefits by making sure its achievable by BIS and not only by spending x amount on a CC, yet I fully uunderstand those that are at the Downgrading of the benefits

My feeling is that Chase & UACO will be getting rid of all the other UA CCs and then it will be the turn of the UA people to get of the Downgrading of their CCs as well
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz
I like the idea that they will be protecting the 1k level and its benefits by making sure its achievable by BIS and not only by spending x amount on a CC, yet I fully uunderstand those that are at the Downgrading of the benefits
Clarification - PMUA had many different forms of BIS requirements (CR-1 earning, MM program, etc.), which smartly kept you flying the metal (and booking on their web site). New UA has done away with all those - you can reap all the benefits without actually flying the airline, just have to place your EQM earning there.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Clarification - PMUA had many different forms of BIS requirements (CR-1 earning, MM program, etc.), which smartly kept you flying the metal (and booking on their web site). New UA has done away with all those - you can reap all the benefits without actually flying the airline, just have to place your EQM earning there.
I hear the BIS issue raised many times on FT but I dont fully get it. For example I could fly United all the time and credit my miles elsewhere. I could then potentially get top tier status with some other airline. However the only benefit I would get on the airline I am actually flying (say UA) would be *Gold. I would miss out on much of the benefits (since I am not really flying that airline).

Maybe I am missing something here, but generally wouldn't you rather have the status on the actual airline you fly than some partner? If most of my flights were on say LH what good would getting 1K do me over crediting to LH?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
I hear the BIS issue raised many times on FT but I dont fully get it. For example I could fly United all the time and credit my miles elsewhere. I could then potentially get top tier status with some other airline. However the only benefit I would get on the airline I am actually flying (say UA) would be *Gold. I would miss out on much of the benefits (since I am not really flying that airline).

Maybe I am missing something here, but generally wouldn't you rather have the status on the actual airline you fly than some partner? If most of my flights were on say LH what good would getting 1K do me over crediting to LH?
I think the biggest impact is those who have an int'l/domestic split in flying. UA int'l was a nice way to rack up a lot of BIS, in case your domestic flying was light for a quarter. Now, no worries. You can still hit your desired status level (say, 1K), or make progress on lifetime status, yet still shift tens of thousands of BIS miles to another carrier without any reprecussions to you - but UA loses out on revenue.

If you're doing 100% domestic, you're of course going to want to feed as much as possible to that airline, in order to max out the benefits (mainly comp UGs of course). You can fly US (if need be, of course) and credit to UA and not feel as bad about missing out on CR-1 earning, lifetime status, etc. Under the previous scenario, you might have tried a bit harder to take UA.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by filmwill
Struggling to decide whether to cancel or keep my PP card, as my renewal comes up this month...and need the advice of the experts here.

Here's some background/details:

*Have 1 PP card now (myself) and am currently Silver but trending to hit Gold by end of year

*My partner is currently Gold but may not make Gold this year...but will at least make Silver

*Have a Gold Amex and that's the primary card for all joint expenses, while I use my PP for all personal/business expenses

*Before this news, was planning to dump the Amex in Sept (after transferring 300k+ miles to our respective OP accounts) and then focus all joint spending solely on the PP card(s)

*Was looking into an additional PP card for my partner (has one of the now-they're-everywhere offers for no fee for a year) to be able to split miles between both our accounts equally based on spending

Now that this news has arisen, I wonder if we should re-evaluate and look at another card completely? Currently, between my PC membership and his Gold status, lounge access has always been a given so it's really only been about the FEQMs...which, so far, have help boost me into the next tier of status (since I never travel 50k miles a year even when business is great.) But if I hit Gold for next year, then lounge access will already be handled for both of us (at least when traveling together)...and EQMs will get a major boost from status alone.

Thoughts/advice...? Better cards out there given our situation?
depends on where you travel. *G will only get you in the lounge for international flights. If you fly domestic, it's no good for that.

If the FEQM could ensure you make gold, or potentially make platinum, that could be a huge deal since everyone and their brother is silver now.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I will keep the card as long as the 25% bonus persists. Looks like thats march.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I don't get all the whining about value on this card. It's a lounge access card people! The annual fee is $395... the RCC fees for 1K's is $375...so for $20 per year more you get no foreign trans fees and the ability to upgrade domestic award tickets. If you're a lower level or non elite it's an even better deal.

Everyone out there complaining about the card having no value needs to shut up and switch to another card with a lower annual fee that doesn't have lounge access included. Even with the changes they are making this card is a good value even for elites. Now if suddenly they jack up the price to $495.. that will change things a bit.
I *may* choose to keep the card for lounge access, but probably not. I have an Accolades card with full PP membership that will continue to let me use CO/UA facilities (10 times per year).

The issue is that the value of putting spend on the card is now dramatically less for anyone who is already top tier elite (or is close to it).

Not being able to apply the FLexEQM to top off to 1K is an issue; not knowing what happens if you apply FLexEQM at the beginning of the year is a problem; not being able to apply FlexEQM towards lifetime elite is also problematic.

Scenario: Fly 70k/year; spend 20k/month. If you can only use 5k FlexEQM/year, then after 39 months you begin losing 43k flexeqm/year that you were unable to apply.

Someone earlier posted that there's still RDM... true, but I've got tons of RDM already - Given the various Amex offers made this year, I can purchase tickets via MR points for what is basically 1/2 off - a $1000 ticket would end up at 50,000 MR points, and yield me RDM and EQM for the flight.

No telling what Amex does next year (probably not much if they're competition has neutered itself).

Net - with these changes I'll probably cancel the PP card, and at the least stop spending on it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Chase confirmed for me that you can get a prorated annual fee if you cancel during the year (ie once the new MP program is announced or some of the perks expire). I'm going to hold onto it for now and make a decision later in the year.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
Add my voice to the "I'm dropping" chorus

The 25% bonus and the NXFEQM were key.

The only way I see to get milage out of the card now (minus the aforementioned lounge access), is to fly just enough BIS and topp off with any earned FEQM to get to 75,000, then switch to the dAArkside for the remainder of the year.

That equals lower rev for UA from this TX flyer.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Chase confirmed for me that you can get a prorated annual fee if you cancel during the year
Do you have this in writing from them? This runs counter to the T+Cs on the card.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Chase confirmed for me that you can get a prorated annual fee if you cancel during the year (ie once the new MP program is announced or some of the perks expire). I'm going to hold onto it for now and make a decision later in the year.
I've been told by Chase that once you're past x months from your anniversary (I think it was 2 or 3) the fee becomes non-refundable and non-pro-ratable. I'm guessing they *may* allow exceptions due to the drastic change in features.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Has anyone received the formal mailing (email or snail mail) with these changes? I know the info from UA Insider is official, but I'd still like to see something directed to me personally.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
I've been told by Chase that once you're past x months from your anniversary (I think it was 2 or 3) the fee becomes non-refundable and non-pro-ratable. I'm guessing they *may* allow exceptions due to the drastic change in features.
  • The T+Cs (aka Cardmember agreement) state 30 days from the statement post date that includes your fee renewal.
  • Phone CSR reps will tell you 30 days from the charge being posted.
  • The internal email service tells you they are incapable of answering any questions in writing and to call.

Also note that if you pay the fee (if you pay your statement balance in full, early) then Chase considers this an acceptance and states that its non-refundable. It took a BBB complaint and a notification of a small claims court action to get them to honor their own terms and conditions a couple years ago when I had a similar incident.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Disappointed

Agree with some of the previous comments, this card was too good to be true. Ironically enough, I continue to receive weekly mail solicitations to try the card for free for first yr. Maybe, instead of spending all this money on fancy direct mail, they should put the dollars into maintaining their existing customers.

If the FEQM's are able to be used at the beginning of the year, it won't be that bad to swallow. But either way, the expiration date and loss of the 25 percent bonus, is quite disappointing. I'm getting very comfortable using my Saphire Preferred card..
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Has anyone received the formal mailing (email or snail mail) with these changes? I know the info from UA Insider is official, but I'd still like to see something directed to me personally.
Spoke too soon - I just got the mailing. On the envelope it says - "Introducing New Continental Airlines Presidential Plus Benefits that elevate your total travel experience."

At the end of the brochure, there's a page titled: "A Few Additional Changes to note."

* Flex EQMs earning beginning January 1, 2012, can be used at any time during the calendar year in which they were earned, plus three additional calendar years, and will then expire if not redeemed. Flex EQMs can be redeemed to achieve up to Platinum Elite status (or equivalent). Flex EQMs earned prior to January 1, 2012, will continue to have no expiration date.

* Free checked bags will apply to you and one additional person traveling on the same reservation effective January 1, 2012. This change does not apply to OnePass Elite members.

* The 25% Continental flight mileage bonus for OnePass Elite members will be discontinued effective March 15, 2012.

No where else in the brochure or the "fine print" insert does it mention FEQM expiration or the mileage bonus.

Unchanged Features
* No foreign transaction fees
* Luxury Hotel & Resort tie-in
* Primary auto rental collision damage coverage
* OP miles don't expire as song as you're a Cardmember.

Interesting note about that last item, it says that this benefit will be exclusive to Cardmembers. I would take that as confirmation that the new MP program will definitely have mileage expiration.

The mailing also includes notes about reward seat upgrades for Elites, as already in place at CO, and effective 5/15/12 on UA flights. (Aren't the airlines combining 1/1/12? If so, how would you tell the difference between a CO flight and a pre-5/15/12 UA flight? The Premier Access privileges for CO flights will start on UA flights effective 5/15/12 as well.)

In addition, the mailing confirms the following:
* Free 1st and 2nd checked bags now available on UA flights as well
* Double miles on CO flights now valid for UA flights
* Book any seat, any time, using EasyPass (or equivalent) rewards 8/1/11 (CO) or 5/15/12 (UA)
* Waive booking fee for inside 21 day reward tickets, effective 5/15/12 (says benefit reserved only for Cardmembers and certain Elite levels).

Time to start looking for another card.....(and I was a charter member of this card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.