Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Still 3% Forex fee, don't understand why they keep doing that.
Because they can?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
This is my big question. One of the major benefits to a PPlus card is the lack of foreign exchange fees. I would very much like to see a card offered from the new combined carrier that retained that benefit.
+1+1+1+1+1+1

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Still 3% Forex fee, don't understand why they keep doing that.
Because they don't want my $200k of annual credit card charges.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
So if I currently have the CO OnePass Plus card, it sounds like I'll simply be phased into this card next year? Doesn't sound like it'll work to sign up for the MP Explorer card and get the bonus miles.
Cancel your existing card now, apply for this card in 3 months and receive the bonus miles...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
Because they don't want my $200k of annual credit card charges.
On this specific card offering, yes, they don't. Previously Chase has offered no foreign transaction fees on the higher-end card offerings (OnePass Presidential Plus and Mileage Plus Club), and on those, they probably do want your $200k of annual credit card charges.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:54 pm

1:3 ($:Miles) for purchases on .bomb
5,000 EQM's

These are the two features of my current card that don't appear to be part of the new Explorer card...

In my case, earlier this year I purchased $21K of UA tickets for an upcoming trip. I received:

63,000 RDM's
5,000 EQM (max EQM earnable with $5K spend on .bomb.)

I think I'll hold out for as long as possible with my current UA MP card. Hopefully I can hang on to it for long enough in 2012 to earn the 5,000 EQM's...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
any discount on drinks or directv?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum
have to get a card to be eligible for award UDU. not cool for those of us who are mandated to use corporate cards and value our credit (thus preventing us from opening the cards every business on the planet is pushing).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:18 pm

No advantage for MP Premier Exec

This seems like a devaluation of gold status for me as an existing Signature card holder, since I already get free bag check, etc. I also get 3 miles/dollar spent on UA, EQM bonus, double gas/grocery miles, etc as current benefits. This is not good. I don't need free lounge tix as I only would use them on my asia flights, and as *G I get lounge access anyway for those itineraries. This sounds like a poor development for gold+ members. Seems they should have another tier of benefits or separate card to reward execs and 1Ks. If there's an auto conversion coming I'm out. I just upgraded to AX Plat and gained many of these benes plus no foreign transaction fees. Signature Select was my choice for many reasons related to my ongoing MP Exec status.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:30 pm
RNE

This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time United Airlines personal cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines personal cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.
If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.
TSMRSRNE currently has a Continental OnePass Plus card, but has never had a United card of any kind. The first quote above seems to indicate she is eligible to receive the bonus miles. However, the second quote seems to equate the OnePass Pass with the Explorer Card, making it a United card in all but name.

What's your take on this? Is she eligible for the bonus miles?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:40 pm

Do I have this right?---What is being sold as a new benefit for cardmembers--last seat availabilty of standard awards is not a new benefit at all. What is really happening is that United is removing this option, which has been available for many years--except for those who are elite and have the credit card.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
Do I have this right?---What is being sold as a new benefit for cardmembers--last seat availabilty of standard awards is not a new benefit at all. What is really happening is that United is removing this option, which has been available for many years--except for those who are elite and have the credit card.
that has been the PMCO way
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
that has been the PMCO way
Actually it was just recently added to PMCO this year.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:17 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by nova08
I took their statement that at the present time you can keep your OP Plus card, but next year or whenever your current card expires you will automatically receive this new branded card.
Fair point, I can see how that could be interpreted that way.

That said, here's how I see the statement:
1. Existing customers are able to keep their existing product(s) with their existing benefits at their existing fees.

2. Existing customers who want to change/upgrade to the new product(s) will be able to do so, should they wish.

3a. We're going to be revamping the current credit card line up where the UA Visa's, CO OnePass Cards, CO Travel Bank Card, CO/UA lounge cards, etc. will be replaced with "merged" products, but again you can keep your existing product(s) should you wish.

3b. As an aesthetic/logistical issue Chase will be issuing new plastic cards to all MileagePlus/OnePass customers, however as this is an aesthetic/logistical issue and even though you'll receive a new "merged" card in the mail, the underlying benefits will remain the same as your old card, assuming you chose to stay with it.

4. At some point in the future new applications for the existing products will not be accepted as they're being discontinued. Ergo, if you want to get grandfathered into a credit card, do so sooner than later or forever hold your peace. @:-)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by J.Edward
4. At some point in the future new applications for the existing products will not be accepted as they're being discontinued. Ergo, if you want to get grandfathered into a credit card, do so sooner than later or forever hold your peace. @:-)[/indent]
So - where can I go to apply for one of the "existing" products? All the United.com and Chase.com links take me to the Explorer card.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:52 pm

I believe they pulled all the PMUA cards already. Maybe simply because they knew it was going to be bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.