Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:49 am

Like I said in another thread, this new card makes me glad I got the old United Mileage Plus Select Visa a few weeks ago. I get unlimited double miles at the gas station and grocery store. Although, I will admit I wouldn't mind getting the free checked bag since I'm not an elite. Now I'm just hoping they don't try to convert us Select cardholders to this new card anytime soon!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
I'm actually astounded by all the "questions" on this topic. I think it's pretty clear exactly what the intent is and what will happen with the cards:

There's 3 United cards today.

The Explorer is clearly targeted as a direct replacement of the MP Select card. Similar benefits and similar cost (and I can't believe people complaining about $10/yr more). It's also clear that it's nearly an exact duplicate of the Onepass Plus card in terms of benefits. Very real loss in terms of 3x points and the 5k MQMs, but I'm sure they're not coming back...
I am not astounded on all the questions at all. I think you are missing the point. There are a lot of people in different situations that want certain benefits. The new card is attempting to make it more of a one size fits all approach and they left out some pretty key benefits. Yes we can apparently keep our existing cards for now, but that may change and that is why there are lots of questions.

For me the biggest advantage to the MP Select card are the 3x for UA/CO tix and the 2x for dining, groceries, etc. (along with the 5,000 bonus miles not tied to anything other than paying your annual fee). The benefits of the Explorer card are a clearly a downgrade for me.

I am not saying the Explorer card is bad. It has some great benefits. However they are slightly different benefits than the ones I value most.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi UAL1200, your interpretation is correct. The 25K mileage enrollment bonus only applies to new Cardmembers, and does not apply to current Mileage Plus and OnePass Chase Cardmembers who switch to these cards.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Thanks for the help Shannon! My app was approved and I'm excited to get my first-ever UA rewards card.

I think the Explorer is a good starter card for non-elites or aspiring elites, but it doesnt quite fit the bill for existing elites. I might look into upgrading to whatever is offered down the line.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Originally Posted by NYTimes
The combined airline intends for the United Explorer card to become the standard miles-earning card; people who have Chase’s Continental OnePass Plus card will soon receive whatever benefits the Explorer card offers that the Plus card doesn’t already.

So as a CO OnePass MC holder, do I get all the benefits immediately, or next year? I am interesting in the Prioirty Boarding using my CO onepass card in two weeks?

YEAH Post 100!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:40 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by kb1992

I don't book domestc Y award.
You can upgrade the domestic CO/UA segments on an international Y reward itinerary... Great benefit if a domestic short hop flight does not have saver award space available...

This reward upgrade will be huge for me on domestic flights with three cabin aircrafts since we will be able to upgrade from C to F.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by golfingboy
You can upgrade the domestic CO/UA segments on an international Y reward itinerary... Great benefit if a domestic short hop flight does not have saver award space available...

This reward upgrade will be huge for me on domestic flights with three cabin aircrafts since we will be able to upgrade from C to F.
hmm

I don't do int'l Y award. When I have int'l C award, if domestic segment has only Y, then I request FFCC.

In that case, FFCC trumps all upgraders.

Three cabin so you can upgrade from XC to XF? At BOS, there isn't any 3 cabin plane for me.

I guess YMMV.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Frankly, I don't know how you'd be a standard member without a credit card AND accumulate enough miles to do "standard" awards. Usually the cardmembers who are non-elites are teh ones who are racking up the miles, it really doesn't make sense.
In our family's case, the infrequent flier whose frequent flier spouse is a CO Gold or Plat (or Silver for that matter) who loyally fly on CO for the yearly or bi-annual vacation, and whose miles haven't expired, so you have racked some up.

Spouse-69185 "vacation" miles. 3815 flight miles this year. (with another 18000+ flown on miles from my reward account).
Kid1--18892 "vacation"
Kid2--is 20 mos old and will fly for the first time on CO on 11 Aug.

If they don't expire, it eventually makes for a good trip--(or at least it used to when it didn't cost much to transfer into my account to get the elite view of availability).

We used to go diving in Micronesia a bit. Now that Delta is flying to Palau, I am not sure bending over backwards for UA/CO is worth it anymore. May be best to let the wife and kids fly JetBlue (which is where every wife and kid wants to fly unless they are in BF or FC).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
hmm

I don't do int'l Y award. When I have int'l C award, if domestic segment has only Y, then I request FFCC.

In that case, FFCC trumps all upgraders.
FFCC only trumps upgrades at the gate. Now you can grab NF/NC space whenever it's available.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
It appears from the post by Scott that MP miles will expire (after 18 months of inactivity) in the combined program.

Do others read the same ? I know it does not affect most of us, but I have family members and others who do not travel much whose miles can be affected.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by J.Edward
No clue -- but if you wanted to try to grab any of them I'd suggest calling into Chase to see if they'll manually take the app (also if you can get to the ICC which deals with this that might be your best bet.)
Just spent an hour messing about with Chase (on the phone) and various websites and it seems there's no way to get the older products any more.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
hey guys, how long does it take for the 25k miles to be posted to the MP account?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:12 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ajnz
Just spent an hour messing about with Chase (on the phone) and various websites and it seems there's no way to get the older products any more.
Yikes

I've had some luck in the past in getting Chase to enroll/switch me to products that were no longer available but I guess they're keeping an eye on it.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:40 pm

I have a regular mileage plus visa. what happens if i apply for this and get approved...will i get the 25k bonus miles when i make my first purchase?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yikes

I've had some luck in the past in getting Chase to enroll/switch me to products that were no longer available but I guess they're keeping an eye on it.
That was the best the agent could suggest - apply for the Explorer then call and ask to change it for the Select card, but she didn't know and couldn't guarantee that would actually get me what I wanted.

I guess it's now a case of waiting to see if United will release any better offerings in the future.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by cloudnyne
I noticed that the targeted Elite-level 50K RDM bonus for the old 3rd-level MP Signature card that's been all over my view of the united.com website lately has been replaced today by a "60K" promo (50K upfront + 10K based on minimum spend) for the new MP Explorer card. When clicking on these ads, I would be directed to the regular 40K promo page (https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPConsumer40kAFW.aspx) until I had first logged into my MP account, then it would properly display the additional 20K bonus (https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPElite60kAFW.aspx).
I'm only seeing the 40K offer, so I clicked on your 60K link. Like you, I needed to sign in to MP to access that offer. Otherwise, it was the standard 40K offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.