Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by channa
Sigh...these cards never seem to do it for me.

I'm still waiting for the Jeff Smisek FINEST People in the Business Signature Visa.

Key benefits would be:
- Annual renewal gift selection including a "Rah! Rah! We're the best" vuvuzela .
SOLD!!!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I also want a more pretentious name.. Explorer sounds like it's for Cub Scouts.
United MileagePlus® Webelos Card?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
If this really going to replace the old signature card than it would be a real downgrade for me as I am already a RCC member and elite so the only added benefit would be the UDU's on awards but for that I am giving up x2 and x3 miles on everyday and United purchases and the EQM's from .bomb purchases I agree with SEA1K4EVR I might hold out for a better card with full lounge access and roll into that one. On that note will webe able to keep the UAMP Signature Visa card as it is now or will we be forced to the new explorer card next year?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:29 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I don't think they're taking away what people already have. @:-)
Originally Posted by trapshooter85
If this really going to replace the old signature card than it would be a real downgrade for me...
Originally Posted by UA Insider
As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is...
Originally Posted by trapshooter85
I might hold out for a better card with full lounge access and roll into that one...
No clue what the new lounge card will look like, but as of right now the PresPlus (CO lounge card) offers far more value than its UA counterpart.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:32 am

What about the Visa signature card?

They mention the Onepass Plus MC but what about those of us with the Chase Continental Visa Signature card? Will we be phased out and into this new card or do we get to keep ours?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
The full-screen ad for this keeps coming up whenever I try to log into .bomb; it's really obnoxious. Apparently you have to click "Log Out" on the right instead of the United logo on the left. Then you can get to your reservations, et cetera...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:54 am

Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.
I have a MP Visa Signature Card and was told today that I cannot switch to the MP Explorer card until after Aug 04.
Representative did not know why but did check with a supervisor for me.
As the rep was very willing to assist I believe that a super was involved.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by av8r316
Is this the only CC United plans to offer for the foreseeable future? It's currently the only US based card on united.com, and I'd like to know whether or not there will be more in the lineup. I had been hoping for a Presidential Plus type card.
. . . wait . . . for . . . it.

Originally Posted by JAaronT
United MileagePlus® Webelos Card?
We do not!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:06 pm

I'm planning on keeping my Select card. I'm not giving up 3:1 on UACO purchases and EQMS.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
they can pry my MP Plat Visa out of my cold dead hands!

(or, I guess it could just be "not offered" anymore, a la specialty beverages in F)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
I don't think they're taking away what people already have. @:-)
I took their statement that at the present time you can keep your OP Plus card, but next year or whenever your current card expires you will automatically receive this new branded card.

Hi Everyon:

[B] If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Scott, Shannon, OK, but what about the 25% RDM bonus for PPMC card holders? I'd like a similar feature for the new card.

Maybe I'm perverse but I feel like the current PPMC is a fair value and I always use it when possible. I'd pay for PC lounge membership anyway, but I value the 25% bonus RDMs on CO metal and the flex EQMs.

Come on guys, you must know I've flown the CO752 TATL numerous times in preference to other options because of these features. I've put in my time in that tin can so keep it real for us!

At the moment, for me, the CO PPMC benefit package is...dare I say... BEST IN CLASS.

It is NOT

:-: best in class :-:

as all Jeff R's products are.

Please do not make it so.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by shdflyer
It looks like this card is also replacing UA Select and Club cards. While Club and Select are still listed on .bomb as available (along with Signature), clicking on the apply now link for any of the cards takes one to the Explorer application page only.

IMHO Select card was a much better deal for mileage accrual offering 2x miles on everyday purchases and on Star Alliance tix, 3x on *all* UA purchases, not just tix. Plus EQM up to 5K and 5K RDM each year for same $95 as Explorer. I'm keeping my Select and glad I upgraded my wife's Signature to a Select a few days ago in anticipation of its possible demise (thanks FT!)
Argh - I had been waiting for my credit score to improve (as I've only been in the US since January) before I applied for the Select card, and now it's gone!

The Explorer card doesn't seem very useful to me compared to the Select card - I get most of the features (and more) by virtue of 1K and NZ*G. The 3x miles on UA purchases is pretty much all I'd actually use the card for, too.

Edit: If anyone figures out a way to apply for the older products (they're gone from thatsaplus.com and Chase.com), let me know. Maybe I can dig up one of the 20 or so invitations I've received in the mail...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Does this replace the Platinum Class Visa Signature? If so, I'm going to be really pissed as I depend upon the 10,000 EQMs I get annually from my card.
Nope - this card stays (for now)

Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
So if I currently have the CO OnePass Plus card, it sounds like I'll simply be phased into this card next year? Doesn't sound like it'll work to sign up for the MP Explorer card and get the bonus miles.
If you don't have a UA MP card you can sign up for explorer get the 40K in miles and then switch to the select card and get EQM.

I think they are going to have three levels of cards.

1) The explore - designed for MP members who are not FF - but are loyal to UA. (captures CO philosophy toward benefits)

2) Signature - designed for 2p and maybe 1P -

3) Platinum Signature and/or Club card - designed for 1P or 1K - unclear if presidential platinum gets worked into one or both. Club card has foreign transaction fee waiver -

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: nobody
Still 3% Forex fee, don't understand why they keep doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.