Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Budley
let's face it, UA is dead
and that is a problem why
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Surviving over whom -UACO?
Surviving as in itself. I see AA's future as having no choice but make drastic cuts in addition to the cuts they've already made, or be acquired by another airline. The AA name will definitely stay, but they are in no position to be the acquiring airline this time around. Considering the changes that are driving away some PMUA elites, it really boggles my mind that they are seeing green pastures in AA.

Changes are going to happen over there, and when they do, I wouldn't want to be so invested in that airline that I have to decide, again, whether or not I will like those changes.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Will stay with UA because of the;
1- asia flight schedules & times
2- The gold star * is great for china lounge's. (air china flights really do post )

Delta.dumb
No asia lounges when flying china partner's, & the china southern flights seldom post. & the delta.dumb web page is very , very slow in asia.
But Delta is ok in north america as i am tier 2 hub trapped there. but rumored to close MSP as a hub when the state shuts down.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
The more I fly them the less

I actually like UAL. With notable exceptions I find the corporate attitude generally off putting especially as regards international US based cabin crews (no friendly skies there). I don't like the gotcha games: the change fees, and the cranky website. I am 1k two years running due to business travel I have no choice on and some personal travel of the mile run variety. As fares increase I am less likely to do those (usually long ones to Asia for a week). Being DC based UAL is logical for international and I don't like to go to NYC to catch flights over the pond. Westbound and southbound AA is a better option out of DCA. Premium service on UAL is fair but the food needs a lot of work. The acft seem well maintained but are showing their age. Generally speaking I have found UAL quite reliable operationally. Miles redemptions are very expensive too. AA seems much more generous in that Department. I rarely use my United miles and have built up a balance of over 700,000. I expect mileage redemption to improve under Continental management.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Derrico
I know Brasila, you are on many threads expressing your opinion that UA was the greatest airline in the world. Its all subjective, but I don't think yours is the majority opinion.
I have no idea whether it's a majority opinion, but I know for sure it's not my opinion!

Originally Posted by Derrico
Bad UA employee attitudes were one of the reasons I started to reconsider my move from CO to UA. Don't take my word for it, go back into the happy world of the pre-merger section of United.
This is what did it for me, and it goes back years. It can happen on any airline, but it just seems to be so much more common
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iquitos
I expect mileage redemption to improve under Continental management.
Um - prepare to be disappointed, if the past is any indication of future behavior
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Um - prepare to be disappointed, if the past is any indication of future behavior
I would agree here except I'd throw in the caveat that this is applicable only for own-metal. CO has always been good at making partner flights available. I never had a problem redeeming on AF when CO was still in Skyteam, and I find availability on Star Alliance partners to be even better these days. It is actually one of the few things that make me retain 1P on UACO in the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Some of UA's 757 haven't been updated in about 15 yrs and the interiors do show this.

Some of thier A320s are need of a good clean on the inside too. Each airline has thier issues when it comes to A/C.. AA is dumping thier MD-80s for the 738s and once this is done, I'll be a happier flier.. Alaska was able to shed thier MD-80 and now just fly all 737's.. Much better airline for that.

Originally Posted by nycr
very unlikely. think about it from time to time but really no better options. no desire to connect in dtw or atl, no desire to fly ancient md-80's etc. often think about switching to ac but they are stingy with upgrades and *G alone would land me back in Y for my odd domestic flights.

while overall i preferred ua pre-merger, i have to say that with the exception of the remaining old 777's, their a/c are generally in good shape and i like connecting in ord. and i have to confess that i have only ever had 1 upgrade fail in several years as 1k (and i was 1/86 on that flight). also appreciate the global network and 3 class intl flights (assuming they remain...)

would be nice to see:
--better meals in intl c
--better lounges @sfo, iad (or finally rebuild iad for that matter)
--bring back the nice blankets in domestic F!!
--branding that's not a total embarrassment
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Some of UA's 757 haven't been updated in about 15 yrs and the interiors do show this.

Some of thier A320s are need of a good clean on the inside too. Each airline has thier issues when it comes to A/C.. AA is dumping thier MD-80s for the 738s and once this is done, I'll be a happier flier.. Alaska was able to shed thier MD-80 and now just fly all 737's.. Much better airline for that.
I thought UA was doing interior work on all 757, seems every one i have been on has the new leather seats? Maybe i just got lucky
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I would agree here except I'd throw in the caveat that this is applicable only for own-metal. CO has always been good at making partner flights available. I never had a problem redeeming on AF when CO was still in Skyteam, and I find availability on Star Alliance partners to be even better these days. It is actually one of the few things that make me retain 1P on UACO in the foreseeable future.
Seems to me that UA award availability is diminishing since the merger announcement, which would be consistent with Continental's award redemption strategy over the past 5-8 years
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Seems to me that UA award availability is diminishing since the merger announcement, which would be consistent with Continental's award redemption strategy over the past 5-8 years
I can definitely believe that. CO has always been known for terrible award availability on its own metal, and I would think UA will head in that direction as well. But where CO has always shined is on partner redemptions where there are usually tons of seats available without any YQ surcharges...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: 1K, BA Silver, SPG Plat, HH
Wow!

Originally Posted by tom911
Or you can look at my AA meal photos HERE.
I am actually drooling. Just drank a half bottle of chard and I have the munchies! Dang that's good looking food!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:52 am

Programs: 1K, BA Silver, SPG Plat, HH
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Reported by who? A bunch of anonymous disgruntled flyers on an internet message board? Plenty of 1ks/Plats are at 75% or higher.
Gotta agree on that, after a bit of a rocky start at the beginning of the year, I haven't sat in E+ for almost 5 months...
And I'm SFO or SMF based. Very happy camper right now. This is only my second year as 1K so I still remember how bad they *all* are in E-

I'm sticking UA.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by JonnyP
Gotta agree on that, after a bit of a rocky start at the beginning of the year, I haven't sat in E+ for almost 5 months...
And I'm SFO or SMF based. Very happy camper right now. This is only my second year as 1K so I still remember how bad they *all* are in E-

I'm sticking UA.
Just so we're clear on this...my criticism isn't of PMUA...upgrade rates for 1ks have seemingly always been good. It's with PMCO upgrade rates that I have had an issue with.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 4:18 pm
Suspended

looking for that double segment promo since they raised bar on 1K's from 100 to 120 segments - very depressing to have flown over 50 segments to date and not be half way home from re qualification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.