How many are thinking of jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
How many are thinking of jumping ship?

I guess I finally got my head out of AA for a while, I started reading this new forum. I'm not liking what the MP program is doing for next year. After flying AA for the last 5 months, I have been very impressed with AA (granted its been only non stop flights.) The service I get on AA is far better then UA, the meals are better and it doesn't appear that AA is making the drastic cuts that UA is.

So I was just wonder if anyone else has been thinking of jumping ship from UA to another airline?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I status matched to Delta the minute I saw Smisek coming to United.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Smile American

I have not flown AA in ages - and I used to live on them. So the other day when I flew AA was a little nostalgic. AA is a little stuffy but it sure is as professional as ever. And their clubs stay open till late unlike the wretched Red Carpet Club in DEN that despite it being at a huge UA hub kicks you out at 9:30 even if your flight is delayed till 1am. Not like that at the Admirals Club in DFW for sure. And they have such great showers at the Admirals Club too. Thank goodness I am Platinum for life. Oh but I do miss the 8 system wide upgrades from AA!!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I like Delta. I live in NYC and there are some serious benefits. Skypesos is a huge issue for me, but I like the creativity in the program. The website is also slick.

That being said, AA is my backup carrier. It reminds me of legacy UA and I understand how to work the system. Flying AA is like dating a cousin, there are similarities but overall its a bit off.

I will give UACO more time and I remain open to being impressed.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
it doesn't appear that AA is making the drastic cuts that UA is.
Really depends what market you're in and what type of traveler you are. AA has canceled SFO-BOS and SFO-HNL is permanently gone come September. They only run SFO-LAX 6 times a day to get to their closest hub at LAX. They don't offer nonstops to SNA or SAN. If those were routes I regularly flew for business I'd he hard pressed to say I'd be better with AA.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
it doesn't appear that AA is making the drastic cuts that UA is.
I also have been tempted by AA, especially now that it has linked so closely with BA and OneWorld is gaining some traction. However, financially it is performing very poorly, so I suspect that the drastic cuts will be coming. That's principally why I have not jumped ship - the grass may be greener but for how long. On balance I think I'll stick with UA, although the 8 usable systemwides would be very nice indeed.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I did a challenge to PLT on AA this January and other than the non-stop UA SNA-SFO, I haven't looked back. I think the catering in FC is generally better for the routes I take (mainly CA to ORD).
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:53 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I like Delta. I live in NYC and there are some serious benefits. Skypesos is a huge issue for me, but I like the creativity in the program. The website is also slick.

That being said, AA is my backup carrier. It reminds me of legacy UA and I understand how to work the system. Flying AA is like dating a cousin, there are similarities but overall its a bit off.
Living in Central New Jersey, I use EWR because it is so close to my home, I have made CO my main airline because that is a fortress hub and I like the ability to go just about anywhere with one airline from one location.

And even though it is a hub for DL, AA and B6, just the thought of travelling to JFK is enough to give my nightmares (as I am sure just most of the New Jersey members can attest to).

Maybe if I was at ORD or LAX, I might think about switching from UA/CO to AA, but I am in New Jersey, so I'll be sticking with EWR and UA/CO for the forseeable future.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
I've jumped and am swimming quite happily elsewhere.

Won't be 1K next year (or ever again, probably), but the penny piching attitude of Mr Smisek has turned me off CO for ever (let's face it, UA is dead).

However, I am 2MM and will try and make the most of it elsewhere, unless Mr Smisek takes it away.

Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings:

I did it in reverse. I left AA as an EXP and moved to UA-CO. Being an AA EXP is a great program but for me AA could not fit my travel patterns.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
Living in Central New Jersey, I use EWR because it is so close to my home, I have made CO my main airline because that is a fortress hub and I like the ability to go just about anywhere with one airline from one location.

And even though it is a hub for DL, AA and B6, just the thought of travelling to JFK is enough to give my nightmares (as I am sure just most of the New Jersey members can attest to).

Maybe if I was at ORD or LAX, I might think about switching from UA/CO to AA, but I am in New Jersey, so I'll be sticking with EWR and UA/CO for the forseeable future.
Same here, and as a CO Platinum with a lifetime PC membership I really don't have very many complaints, also no other airline offers as many non stops worldwide from EWR which is a BIG plus for me
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
I guess I finally got my head out of AA for a while, I started reading this new forum. I'm not liking what the MP program is doing for next year. After flying AA for the last 5 months, I have been very impressed with AA (granted its been only non stop flights.) The service I get on AA is far better then UA, the meals are better and it doesn't appear that AA is making the drastic cuts that UA is.

So I was just wonder if anyone else has been thinking of jumping ship from UA to another airline?
Doesn't really work for me to defect. This is why CO is so successful -- lots of people with no choice. Anyways I could never leave CO; they're going through a rough patch right now trying to swallow the big mouthful that is UA,, but I think in a few years they'll have things together. I hope lots of people do defect though, because that will make benefits better for those of us who remain loyal.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I bolted in mid-2009. By the end of 2009, I had flown 150k EQMS on CO and 110k on AA, in 2010, I flew 125k EQM on AA and 76k EQM on CO, and this year, I will end with 165k EQM on AA and 51k EQM on CO/UA.

I will always keep Star Gold, but for me, flying CO/US is a non-starter until upgrades are being reported at 75%+ levels for 1ks, or until E+ is in all planes. Until then, I will fly the minimum possible to retain Star Gold. And hopefully, most of that will be flying on partners like SQ, TG, LH, LX etc or by earning FLEX EQMs.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
penny piching attitude of Mr Smisek has turned me off CO for ever (let's face it, UA is dead).
forever is a long time, a lot of people here were "CO forever", and then they ruined the airline. A few executives can make a big short term impact (either + or -), so there always are possibilities.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:46 am

I've been 1K for a few years and am waiting to see what the "new" FF program will be like (wish they would announce it sooner rather than later). But have made AA my backup, opening a BankDirect account, getting an AA Citicard, all of that. AA does largely work for my travel patterns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.