Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are thinking of jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 1:07 am

It is a race to the bottom for the airlines. I will wait till the merger works itself out. I went from CO after 20 years to US for 4 years to Delta for 4 years and back to CO this year.

Delta was somewhat better except for the frequent flyer program. Delta's first class now is better. But United's Economy Plus is great, although I almost always managed to get the exit row on Delta.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: AA/UA no status!
so am i correct from reading this thread that on intl flights purchasing reg to discount econ class tickets, AA EXP and even AA Plat have a way higher % of getting free/low cost upgrades versus UA 1Ks?

and if so, this would mean UA EXPrem are having even less success (post merger)?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JuniorAK
so am i correct from reading this thread that on intl flights purchasing reg to discount econ class tickets, AA EXP and even AA Plat have a way higher % of getting free/low cost upgrades versus UA 1Ks?
AA EXPs, yes, via SWUs good on any published fare. AA Plats (<100K mile/point flyers) don't get SWUs and can only upgrade with miles and a co-pay.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: AA/UA no status!
ah, but even when using mi+co-pay AA plats are still getting upgrades at a much higher % than UA 1K/Gold? i wonder why this is?

For instance, from AAExPlat's signature and prior posts in this thread:
AA '11 UPG = 84/84 (100%) / UA '11 EUA = 5/9 (56%)
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: CO Plat, HH Diamond, UA 1P
Originally Posted by Noodle
looking for that double segment promo since they raised bar on 1K's from 100 to 120 segments - very depressing to have flown over 50 segments to date and not be half way home from re qualification
This is my predicament as well. At the end of June I'll be at 60 segments. No way I can keep that up. This is the only reason I'd look at AA or DL. Otherwise I've been happy with CO and UA.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA EXPs, yes, via SWUs good on any published fare. AA Plats (<100K mile/point flyers) don't get SWUs and can only upgrade with miles and a co-pay.
On most full fares, AA is now exactly twice as good though as UA: 15K miles vs. 30K rip offs UA offers to Asia.

If I had a chance to jump ship, I would but to SIN AA partners with that terrible CX and a much nicer but also much more remote JL.

The partners on the *A are simply superior from here. Not by much but somewhat.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by weero
On most full fares, AA is now exactly twice as good though as UA: 15K miles vs. 30K rip offs UA offers to Asia.

If I had a chance to jump ship, I would but to SIN AA partners with that terrible CX and a much nicer but also much more remote JL.

The partners on the *A are simply superior from here. Not by much but somewhat.
Can you elaborate on the CX comment? Also, do you have experiences comparing the OW to the *A carriers to SIN?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm working hard on jumping ship to AA, but since they no longer offer the 25K in 3 months Q-point challenge for EXP, I think I need to finish out the year on UA unfortunately.

Next year I'm on AA.

I absolutely hate flying on UA these days; a lot of it is because of the CO influence, but even PMUA decisions/execution are just a nightmare.

I refuse to put up with 25+ minute "Premium Passenger" security lines at ORD and SFO.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm working hard on jumping ship to AA, but since they no longer offer the 25K in 3 months Q-point challenge for EXP, I think I need to finish out the year on UA unfortunately.

Next year I'm on AA.
That's the right strategy. Next year, you can make your move to AA, and if your transition period is like mine, you can do the Plat challenge and complete that in no time, which will give you decent upgrade rates if you don't mind paying for stickers, and within a few months, you'll make EXP and never look back. Welcome to the daark side.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
That's the right strategy. Next year, you can make your move to AA, and if your transition period is like mine, you can do the Plat challenge and complete that in no time, which will give you decent upgrade rates if you don't mind paying for stickers, and within a few months, you'll make EXP and never look back. Welcome to the daark side.
I forgot about the stickers! That's good news for personal travel. For work travel, I will do paid F as much as possible to get the Q-points up.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there

I refuse to put up with 25+ minute "Premium Passenger" security lines at ORD and SFO.
Are the wait times in SFO and ORD running at those levels now? Glad I am doing most of my flying connecting at those points vs starting/ending there.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Really depends what market you're in and what type of traveler you are. AA has canceled SFO-BOS and SFO-HNL is permanently gone come September. They only run SFO-LAX 6 times a day to get to their closest hub at LAX. They don't offer nonstops to SNA or SAN. If those were routes I regularly flew for business I'd he hard pressed to say I'd be better with AA.
Even if SFO has cut services to HNL and BOS, I think they are one of the best places for AA. The Admiral's club agents are exceptionally friendly from the old baby club emerging to the new larger one. The asian lady(Forgot to ask her name) always went extra step to help me. I didn't expect her to remember my last name but she seemed to recall it every time I walked out of the club.

I have qualified CO 100k PLT/UA 1K and AA EXP this year. I have to admit that Jeff's penny picking approach to CO really pushes me to limits. I do notice, however, that for domestic EAU, UA and 1K give you almost 95% or above, AA has close to 100%; UA gives very uncertain SWU UG rates, while AA has the best eVIP UG rate for international. Even if the routes are not non-stop(I go to HKG all the time), I would rather get to PVG/PEK/NRT to ensure I will have the longest leg upgraded first before playing SWU lottery in CO/UA. I noticed UA's SWU is notoriously bad for especially SFO/ORD-HKG routes, so I picked CO as source for SWU and CR1 deposit, but I don't appreciate the EAU in CO at all. However, I am not even sure CO SWUs would be as good as before(probably not). Also, the transcon CO40 I took last Thursday was a new 739 with no bulkhead all the way through. I couldn't believe they squeeze in 173 seats in that aircraft! I regret for not taking the exit rows.

It's all dilemma for next year, but I would ensure I will get EXP every single year. 1P *G and EXP seem to be my plan next year, with maybe a couple of mega-MR to push me to 1K without much investment.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jul 9, 2011 at 10:28 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Even if SFO has cut services to HNL and BOS, I think they are one of the best places for AA. The Admiral's club agents are exceptionally friendly from the old baby club emerging to the new larger one. The asian lady(Forgot to ask her name) always went extra step to help me. I didn't expect her to remember my last name but she seemed to recall it every time I walked out of the club.
If you want a brand new club in a very nice new terminal, then AA is an excellent option ex-SFO.

If you actually want to fly somewhere from SFO (without a stop), then AA is not a great option and seemingly getting worse...

This is coming from someone who looked hard at AA when they offered the EXP challenge. With my travel patterns though, UACO is just far superior ex-SFO...

Since you are one of the few with high level status on both airlines, I really value your opinion and look forward to hearing more about your experiences.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I forgot about the stickers! That's good news for personal travel. For work travel, I will do paid F as much as possible to get the Q-points up.
Well, that's even better. Much better in fact.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by JuniorAK
ah, but even when using mi+co-pay AA plats are still getting upgrades at a much higher % than UA 1K/Gold? i wonder why this is?

For instance, from AAExPlat's signature and prior posts in this thread:
AA '11 UPG = 84/84 (100%) / UA '11 EUA = 5/9 (56%)
My experience as both EXP and PLT on AA was not so rosy - probably 75% as EXP, and less than 50% as PLT. Several times on a DFW-SJC run, I would find myself lower than #30 on the upgrade list as a PLT.

My other beef with AA is the MD-80 breakdowns, which have become very troublesome. I have had far fewer mechanical delays on UA/CO than on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.