Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are thinking of jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Yep. The ones that are at 75% or higher are the Plats/1ks who fly on expensive/refundable fares.
No, not all of them are, I guarantee you. I guess it also depends when/where you fly.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I'm sure I am not explaining myself correctly, and that may be the issue. Let me address your questions. That may clear up a few things.

I am indeed EXP, CO Plat and UA 1P. Last year, I flew 76k EQMs on CO to requalify for Plat. This year, being a CO Plat makes me automatically 1P.

In 2003, 2004, and 2005, my upgrade percentages on CO were about 90%. Most of that flying was AUS-IAH-SFO-IAH-AUS. But there were also trips to other domestic destinations.

I seem to suceed on the least important flights (AUS-IAH-AUS) and failing on much else. I missed IAH-LAX, LAX-IAH, AUS-EWR, and one AUS-IAH so far this year. Last year, I cleared very few EWR to either IAH or AUS which is what I fly weekly.

That is possible. The bottom line is that on AA or DL, upgrade percentages for Plats are significantly higher than on CO...I understand 1k is better, but I'm not sure if I would clear 90% on UA as a 1k either given that I fly discount economy fares.

Correct. I made that choice in 2009 and flew 6 months in the back virtually exclusively to earn myself a good upgrade percentage once I hit EXP.

Correct. I will always maintain Star Gold, so I'll fly 50k EQMs with UA/CO every year no matter what happens, but if I could get treated like I do get treated on AA, I could either split my flying more evenly or give UA the lionshare like I did in 2007, 2008, and 2009. For now, I have 50k EQMs to monitor the merger progress each year. If things improve, so may my purchase patterns.
Thank you for the additional info and insight in to your decision making process.

I always appreciate a well thought out strategy that looks out for # 1 - You.

As a 1K this year, my UA upgrade success percentage has been a fair amount higher than your experience - and this even considering my base of SFO, and popular destinations like IAD, BOS, SEA, and DEN...

For next year, I am considering something blasphemous here on FT: Don't be a slave to status on any airline!

With Alaska, Virgin, and yes, Southwest all having a strong presence here at SFO (and OAK, which is also easy to get to), there really are a lot of alternatives.

More blasphemy: I kind of hope UA continues the Premium Seating Upgrade / Buy Up offers... This way, I can be confident that as a 1P or 0P, I will still be offered the opportunity to buy up to F.

The only problem I have right now is UACO's apparent lack of predictablity on availability and pricing for the F buy up offers...

If I knew Buy Ups would always (almost always) be offered, at a 'fair' price, then I think I would be comfortable not pushing to earn elite status on UACO. (Just my natural travel would probably earn me 1P without working hard to push most travel UACO's way.)

Is this the travel pattern that UACO is trying to incent? Time will tell...

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jun 14, 2011 at 1:03 am
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Just did a quick look in July and August for SFO-ORD R/T.

Best price I see for a quick turn - same day, or overnight in Chicago - is $408.

R/T EQM = 3682
R/T DEQM = 7364

So, even with DEQM, this is not a good or cheap MR.... $0.055 per EQM.

If the price was $300 R/T, it would be $0.04 / EQM

If the price was $250 R/T, it would be $0.034 / EQM

If you can find me a same day turn before 8/31 for less than $250, I'll buy it!
As you know fares change hourly, thus pulling stats from one static point in time is not a true indication. There were reports of low fares recently in the MR forum between ORD and cali and I'm sure you have seen those. Bottom line is that being able to take advantage of DEQM promo from your home airport to ORD is a huge advantage. Per those savy MR enthusiastist there have been opportunties to capitalize.

Enjoy it and use it to your advantage, you don't have to look far to see some positives you are getting from UA.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by schley
As you know fares change hourly, thus pulling stats from one static point in time is not a true indication. There were reports of low fares recently in the MR forum between ORD and cali and I'm sure you have seen those. Bottom line is that being able to take advantage of DEQM promo from your home airport to ORD is a huge advantage. Per those savy MR enthusiastist there have been opportunties to capitalize.

Enjoy it and use it to your advantage, you don't have to look far to see some positives you are getting from UA.
OK, I just checked a bunch of dates again. Still $409... So now we at least have 2 data points!

I guess my main point is, under current conditions it is harder / more expensive to MR than it has been in the past.

By the way, I am taking advantage of the DEQM SFO/ORD opportunity. However, the reason I am doing it is because I had a $250 expiring e-cert that I needed to burn. So it brought the price down to something remotely reasonable.

And trust me, I do understand the positives I receive (in general) from UA!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by NYC1K
Bingo!!! That is the key word...................."USABLE SYSTEMWIDES".

That's why I do most of my personal travel (~95% & 115K EQMs) on AA and ~60% of my business travel on UA (~52K EQMs). The rest I spead out to AA and Virgin
And yet your profile says you are a 1K.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Or you can look at my AA meal photos HERE.
Nice pix, Tom. Are these all intl C and dom F?

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I'll consider AA after/if they come out of bankruptcy as the surviving carrier.
Surviving over whom -UACO?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Nice pix, Tom. Are these all intl C and dom F?
That's correct. There should be a label below each one with the specific route.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:33 pm

DL is courting 1Ks and Plats pretty hard in the SE, so I might consider it, although I'd now be connecting in ATL versus IAH, neither of which make my top 100 for pleasant airports. The wifi would be nice, as would flight timings to the west coast, inclusive of an on-again, off-again RDU-LAX flight. On the other hand, Sky Team utterly blows for int'l travel and award redemption doesn't seem to be particularly promising.

Meh, I'll see how many miles I get by the end of the year and if I'm still ambivalent about the merger or annoyed and then decide.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by jmr50
I'm in Manhattan and have the exact opposite opinion: getting to EWR is harder, more time consuming, riskier, and more expensive than getting to either JFK or LGA. This makes UA/CO a huge PITA since sometimes I want to go places other than ORD/IAD/SFO/LAX. Connecting in IAD for Int'l destinations via a CRJ200 is making me think about AA/DL pretty hard. Probably will jump next year, and burn down the accumulated miles before they're totally devalued.
Just FWIW - when we flew into EWR last month - the cab to Manhattan was about $90 (it is price fixed). Going back to EWR - it was about $60 on a weekend day with little traffic.

If I lived in the New York metro area - I would never use an airline that made me connect through IAD to travel international. My local airport is JAX - and I expect a 1 stop. But - from NYC - what's the point of living there if you can't fly non-stop ? Robyn

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Not a single thought in my mind of jumping ship, because for me there's nothing better out there.

My travels are primarily international in scope, so the United/Continental merger allows me to travel more or less anywhere in the world I want to visit on a single airline, which has some advantages even in the era of multilateral immunized alliances (and when partners are considered, well, Star Alliance beats the crap out of anyone else). And for those occasions where I do travel domestically, it's either a) to hub cities of the combined network, or b) to destinations where UACO offers competitive levels of service and pricing.

Delta would be the only possible alternative, and I do not like Atlanta, nor do I care for the ongoing systemic cooperation issues with DL and AF/KLM. So UACO it is.
Just curious - why don't you like Atlanta? I hub through there a fair amount. And although it is one of the busiest airports in the world - I've never had a connection problem there. Also - the terminal to terminal transport system (the subway) is very efficient IMO. Hope I haven't jinxed myself with this message (I'm flying JAX/ATL/LAX in September). Robyn

Originally Posted by qoodoo
I fly UACO domestically only and my two trips or so internationally are always LH First or OZ/CX First. So being in PHX its either stay with UA or jump to US....which I will not. Plus my upgrade percentage is high and I rarely eat airline food. I haven't even used my cr1/swu this year....but will use them for my relatives for a wedding this fall....yes using them on domestic flights lol.....
Just FWIW - my brother has a house and a wife in PHX - but now works in the LAX metro area. He commutes between LAX and PHX every week - and really likes Southwest Airlines. He says its rewards system is very good (he gets free trips to visit his children - and for them to visit him).

Originally Posted by Carolinian
HMMM! Out of the frying pan, into the fire! Do you really want to earn the Zimbabwe dollars of the sky, SkyPiles?
At least with Delta - you can book any flight on any class. Price (in terms of miles) varies. I would rather have that than zero availability on decent flights. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Jun 15, 2011 at 11:48 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I have lived in NYC since 1992 and apart from TWA I have pretty much flown with UA exclusively. I have taken the odd Jetblue flight up to BTV, and US when it was the only option, but overall I have invested too many years with UA. With my lifetime miles and fondness for the odd crackling of Channel 9, the new EWR hub with the CO merger (I live and work in lower Manhattan so it's convenient to me), the ability to do the JFK-SFO/LAX-NRT-SIN/BKK/now HKG on a single SWU, the multitude on nonstop flights to just about anywhere, the amazing *Alliance partners, E+, there is no way I would look at anyone else. I still feel the UA/CO fleet is superior to Delta's, and with AA it just seems like a day of reckoning is coming. Fares have got to come up to generate a better service and newer/cleaner aircraft, I think all of us who have been long time FF's have seen what cheap fares have brought to the industry. Finally, every time I step onto a UA or CO mainline flight I feel I am in the hands of some of the best pilots and FA's around, I understand some are bitter at the loss of their benefits but a little charm goes a long way. THings may get better, they may get worse; nobody knows. It's not exactly like the state of our country is anything to be too proud of either, that is of course unless you live in NYC ;-) But i for one will unequivocally state that whatever happens, I am not jumping to DL or AA. And those that do, I hope it turns out well for you!

Adam
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:46 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
AA is banking on the "cornerstone" strategy by focusing on 5 key markets: DFW, MIA, ORD, JFK, and LAX. If you are based in any of those markets, their service should be impressive -- in the short term. As they are on track to lose $1B this year, I have my doubts that this strategy will work.

I'll consider AA after/if they come out of bankruptcy as the surviving carrier.
And if you don't live in these places - or another large or hub city - you have to ask yourself where you'd rather change planes. I would rather hub through ATL than MIA. Am kind of indifferent between IAH and DFW. Our last 4 int'l flights or so have been through EWR and ATL. Both very nice gateways IMO. Robyn

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Please be sure to share your routes and dates with us please!

Majority opinion is that there are no cheap UACO fares to be found anywhere... (I don't completely agree with this, but I have noticed a tendency towards higher prices. And I have seen very few fares that justify a Mileage Run...)

Thanks for sharing your AA experiences... Many here are tempted; In my case so far SFO has been the deciding factor against AA. Even with the great new T2 at SFO, AA continues to reduce service... I guess that is what happens when you don't live in a cornerstone city.

Out of the blue, Alaska just gifted me MVP status... I am going to check the AS forum to see if this is really worth anything. If it is, maybe I'll direct some of my west coast (PDX, SEA) travel towards AS...
What's your price/reward ratio on a mileage run? I can still do coast to coast for somewhat more than $300 (although during the depths of the recession it was only a bit more than $200). Robyn

Originally Posted by mduell

I think you'd be best served by a younger, lower cost basis airline, although that last request is a bit tough.
Gosh - what kind of snobbish remark is that? I don't usually fly enough to get elite status because I'm retired and don't have to travel in terms of a job. But that doesn't mean I want to travel in the airplane equivalent of a bus (although I have recently had some decent flights on carriers like Air Tran). I'm reading all of the messages here because I have to make some decisions before CO leaves AMEX end of September. And I think the OP asked a legitimate question - how do "non-elites" make the best of their situations. My answer has always been with credit cards. His/her mileage may vary. Robyn

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Any thoughts?
Some questions before any thoughts. What's your home airport - and where do you travel most? Do you spend a lot for your tickets - back of plane - or front of plane? Do you want to earn airline travel rewards - or other kinds of rewards Robyn

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
I think about it once in a while (mostly while chewing my fingernails at the gate hoping for that 14-hour flight upgrade). But for now I'm staying put, after several years as CO Plat it's hard to change. The biggest consideration for me is international upgrade availabi

Sadly, the days of cheap B + miles are gone, but I'm hoping I will still be able to do co-pay+miles on cheaper tickets. I travel internationally for work, but can only buy Economy fares, so all upgrades are out of pocket... if I can't upgrade on my own, UACO stops making sense. Though to be honest I don't think there is a better alternative.

As most people say, it's nice to be *A, but I have ZERO upgrades on partner carriers to show for it.
If you check most CO international flights that you are interested in - you will find that no upgrades are available at any time. Holding on to Continental may make sense for some people trying to accomplish some things - but international upgrades are pretty much few and fare between IMO (except for Easypass which costs a lot of points/money). Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Jun 15, 2011 at 11:53 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
A merging always brings lots of confusion, stress, and rumors.

The first year or so is more of an adjustment and learning process in order to establish the new operation. All of the things that have been mentioned as disappearing, going downhill, or devalued with the UA/CO merging, has been mentioned in the forums of the other carriers, AA, DL, WN, etc. There is no perfect carrier.

Bottom line, you should go with the carrier that gives you the service that you need to the areas that you travel most. We all have experienced cancelled flights, missed upgrades, mechanical issues, delayed flights, rude FA/GA/CS, etc. to the point where you just say that's it no more. But on the flip side, we've also experienced situations when we've gotten that coveted seat on the difficult flight to upgrade, we've been accommodated to the next available flight in cases on cancellation or delays, manage to get that award flight, etc. Is all give and take.

Go with what works for you.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
very unlikely. think about it from time to time but really no better options. no desire to connect in dtw or atl, no desire to fly ancient md-80's etc. often think about switching to ac but they are stingy with upgrades and *G alone would land me back in Y for my odd domestic flights.

while overall i preferred ua pre-merger, i have to say that with the exception of the remaining old 777's, their a/c are generally in good shape and i like connecting in ord. and i have to confess that i have only ever had 1 upgrade fail in several years as 1k (and i was 1/86 on that flight). also appreciate the global network and 3 class intl flights (assuming they remain...)

would be nice to see:
--better meals in intl c
--better lounges @sfo, iad (or finally rebuild iad for that matter)
--bring back the nice blankets in domestic F!!
--branding that's not a total embarrassment
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
What's your price/reward ratio on a mileage run? I can still do coast to coast for somewhat more than $300 (although during the depths of the recession it was only a bit more than $200). Robyn
The old standard was <$0.03 / EQM.... (I have only started playing the status game in the last 12 months, and became 1K in November 2010, so people with longer experiences than mine can correct this as necessary.)

So, theoretically, if you don't count other costs (transportation to and from airport, food, hotels, etc.) you could have achieved 1K for $3K.

Nowadays, it is more like a minimum of $5K or $6K in my estimation... Less if you really work the system.

My perspective is changing to a broader view of spending and status.

If I can spend less money trying to achieve status on one airline, but then use that savings to buy the things I want on my trips, then maybe this is a better equation for me.

I will 'naturally' fly around 70,000 miles this year on UA. Will I MR to 1K? Almost certainly not.

Would I MR to achieve 0P (75K EQM)? I probably would, as long as the cost is not too prohibitive. I am hoping that at some point soon UACO starts to more clearly communicate the difference in benefits that will be offered to 1P's, 0P's, and 1K's...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by nycr
very unlikely. think about it from time to time but really no better options. no desire to connect in dtw or atl, no desire to fly ancient md-80's etc. often think about switching to ac but they are stingy with upgrades and *G alone would land me back in Y for my odd domestic flights.

while overall i preferred ua pre-merger, i have to say that with the exception of the remaining old 777's, their a/c are generally in good shape and i like connecting in ord. and i have to confess that i have only ever had 1 upgrade fail in several years as 1k (and i was 1/86 on that flight). also appreciate the global network and 3 class intl flights (assuming they remain...)

would be nice to see:
--better meals in intl c
--better lounges @sfo, iad (or finally rebuild iad for that matter)
--bring back the nice blankets in domestic F!!
--branding that's not a total embarrassment
Very well said nycr.

In PDX, we have AS. Comparing them to the market they still put up a pretty decent show. Other than that, we have DL or WN - puke.

AA has three to four daily n/s to DFW on very, very tired MD-80s. Completely useless if you are trying to get to the NE from Orygun. Wish they would bring back the two daily ORD flights.

That said, it's UA/CO if I am going east of the Pacific time zone - and was the case even prior to the merger.

Last edited by B787938; Jun 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.