Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are thinking of jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:55 pm

I just came up with a situation whether we as FTers care about the FFPs of each airline and determine which we would jump on in the near future. Remember, when I was in AA or CO/UA flights, announcements always mention FFPs to be their best product among the airlines. Now, think about how many true frequent travelers with FFPs on our flights, and why airlines would like to promote their FFPs when they know they will give out free seats if more people grab the reward seats. The reality is that they want the customers' focus to be on loyalty instead of price, as we all know. Now, as an FTer, would you like more customers with FFPs to dilute the benefits of our top tier elites, or you would like them to choose the cheapest tickets without worrying about the FFPs or the priority seating. My guess is most wouldn't care, as you could see how much money that an airline collects the bag fees in a year.

As most COUA flyers point out, the prices for hub-to-hub travels are going ridiculously high, while most travel from non-hub cities can take advantage of the lower fares to fly on COUA. To keep the service/product better, an airline needs to charge much more to either balance the capacity, upgrade percentage, or maintain the profit of the airline. As FTers, we should have made a decision of what the priority is for us. I personally think that people who want dual status should keep at least 25k/50k EQMs in both airlines instead of one of 100k EQM except you are willing to stick with one for a long period of time. It's really pain to switch to another one as AA has been known to very restrictive to status matches.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
So far this year I'm at 100% with UDUs and 50% with international flights eligible to use SWUs. Although I'm not pleased with all the changes that have appeared recently I don't believe the grass is genuinely greener for my travel pattern with another airline. I will stick with UACO for now.
May I ask what routes did you take for the SWUs and what routes did you not get the upgrade? Looks like I have to go back to HKG six times to make sure I can use all six SWUs for it. I don't really wanna use any SWUs in routes to Europe.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:30 pm
In memoriam

If anyone knows - how much do the airlines get when they sell FF miles to my credit card compan(ies) If I spend $100k a year on an affinity credit card - am I more or less valuable than someone who does 25 segments at $150 each?

Note that $100k/year on a credit card is not an especially large amount. I have read stories about people buying multi-million dollar paintings at places like Sothebys - and charging them on their AMEX cards.

Frankly - I don't have a clue. Am just curious about the dollar and cents value of various kinds of "customers". Robyn

P.S. With regard to hub-to-hub prices - I agree 100%. Doesn't cost much more in dollars to go JAX/LAX than JAX/IAH (and JAX/IAH is sometimes more).

Originally Posted by milepig
OK for starters. F on a CO domestic flight. Three hour flight, the FA came down the aisle one with drinks (grumpily), once with the food, and then sat on her butt on the jump seat in full view of us for the rest of the flight and read gossip magazines. That's what we're talking about.
Where are you flying 3 hours from ORD - left coast?

Just about all (maybe all) of my CO domestic flights out of JAX are < 3 hours to IAH/EWR etc. 2/1 Embraers. No food - ever.

The FAs are always nice - at least to me and my husband. They're basically going back and forth and back and forth between JAX and a hub several times a day. Perhaps they always smile at me because I bring current issues of magazines like Harper's Bazaar - and give them to the FAs when I'm finished with them. I mean - how do you know when someone is grumpy? What do they do to lead you to that conclusion? We flew JAX/EWR last month - and I actually teased one of the FAs. Because he looked like he was about 12 (he was actually 20). He took it in good spirits.

Note that the days of 1950's stewardesses - the Hugh Hefner prototype kind - young sexy women - is over. As a woman - I don't mind this at all. I don't care if my FAs are 45 year old women - or 25 year old gay guys. As long as they give me the expected service on a particular flight - and take care of any of my requests which aren't "expected" (I have a couple from time to time - but not many). I have flown CO from EWR to Narita - one of the longest CO routes - BF - and the service was great. But I don't expect to get the kind of service I got on that route that I get going JAX/IAH on an Embraer.

Frankly - I am glad to have whatever service I can get out of a minor airport these days. With regard to DL - it has cut out my favorite non-stop mid-day JAX/LGA flight at least a couple of days a week these days as of today.

I think one has to have at least some sense of humor these days when flying. And this is the best I've seen recently:

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...oure-confirmed

Made me laugh more than when my husband dropped his pants at a security line at CDG because it didn't have the screening technology to deal with his leg brace.

Anyway - I suggest you lighten up. And - if you want something on a flight - ask for it. Even if you're on an Embraer doing JAX/IAH. Take care, Robyn

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, Alaska Airlines MVP
thought about it

I thought about jumping ship, but haven't yet. What most likely will happen is I'll split the difference. Instead of pushing to make 1P each year, I'm probably going to drop down to 2P and do a lot more flying on Alaska. They have a direct flight on the route I fly the most (CA to Hawaii), and have good partners that supplement the Star Alliance. I've also considered jumping over to AA, but from where I live they don't have the best flights to suit my needs and I can earn Alaska EQM miles with them as well as Delta.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by willyg2me
b/c we earned it under our rules and now the UA pple are walking all over us. IF the "merger" never happened, it would not be an issue.
If you flew a comparable amount to the UA MMs you'd likely be a CO 2MM, and on equal footing with the UA MMs. Note in Jeff's speech at Tom's even yesterday he made a big point about Tom having flown 10MM actual (B)IS with no bonuses. Clearly the airline recognizes BIS are more substantial than EQM.

Originally Posted by demkr
Random example...Let's do a side by side NYC comparison. Info provided by Flightstats.

JFK
7/9/11, AA has a 5% on-time departure rating and a 62% on-time arrival rating at JFK.
Contrasting this with DL, who had the same weather as AA did last time I checked, had an 83% on-time departure rating (This is a whopping SEVENTY EIGHT percent gap) and a 72% on-time arrival rating.

EWR
CO had a 66% on-time departure rating at EWR on 7/9, and a 65% on-time arrival rating.
Those numbers don't tell the whole story - it could be DL/CO pushing from the gate (for an "on-time departure" by FS methology) and taking hour+ taxi delays vs AA waiting to board and push until they can get out in a timely manner. I'm not saying that happened, I'm saying the stats you cherrypicked don't tell the whole story.

Last edited by mduell; Jul 10, 2011 at 6:28 pm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
Yeah, I am actually surprised reading this forum over the past couple of days just what reason people would have to actually move to AA. (I understand it's all a matter of opinion).

Being from SFO--we know that this airport is constantly on the cut list from AA. This is the #1 reason that I left. Constant downgauging and cutting. The seasonal removal of one flight to JFK was the final cherry on the sundae for me.
Glad you are enjoying the switch. I think being based in SFO probably skews your impression of AA somewhat as I am not sure I would have stuck with them in that market either.

As someone who switched from UA to AA earlier this year, AA definitely works better for me out of ORD. They aren't perfect (you analyzed some of the issues on AA pretty well), but in terms of their premium product and customer service I do find them superior. UA has a large number of disgruntled employees it seems and some of their catering is terrible, especially in C/F on international flights. Not to mention the devaluation of the 1K level.

I have definitely learned not to expect compensation for flight delays etc. on AA
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:19 pm

But ... don't forget about this!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ube-video.html

On March 31, 2008 Sons of Maxwell began our week-long-tour of Nebraska by flying United Airlines from Halifax to Omaha, by way of Chicago. On that first leg of the flight we were seated at the rear of the aircraft and upon landing and waiting to deplane in order to make our connection a woman sitting behind me, not aware that we were musicians cried out: “My god they’re throwing guitars out there.” Our bass player Mike looked out the window in time to see his bass being heaved without regard by the United baggage handlers. My $3500 710 Taylor had been thrown before his.

I immediately tried to communicate this to the flight attendant who cut me off saying: “Don’t talk to me. Talk to the lead agent outside.” I found the person she pointed to and that lady was an “acting” lead agent but refused to talk to me and disappeared into the crowd saying “I’m not the lead agent.” I spoke to a third employee at the gate and when I told her the baggage handlers were throwing expensive instruments outside she dismissed me saying “but hun, that’s why we make you sign the waiver.” I explained that I didn’t sign a waiver and that no waiver would excuse what was happening outside. She said to take it up with the ground crew in Omaha.

When I got to Omaha it was around 12:30 am. The plane was late arriving and there were no employees visible. Although I was told later that it wouldn’t have mattered, I should have taken my hard case out of the padded protective exterior case to examine the guitar at the airport but I didn’t. The guitar case looked ok and we were tired, went to the hotel and then to sleep for our early morning pick-up by the tour managers the next day. When they picked us up in the early morning we would not be back in Omaha for seven days. It was later that day at sound check that I discovered that the base of my Taylor had been smashed.
One week later I returned to Omaha for my return trip. I explained what had happened and the United agent in Omaha said I needed to start a claim at the airport where the trip began (Halifax). So here is what happened next.

When I got home to Halifax I was told that United doesn’t really have a presence there and that Air Canada is their partner. Every plane I flew on that day said “United” on the side but technically they have no presence there. So, Air Canada gave me a phone number to start my claim with United. When I called the number United said I had to return to the Halifax airport with the guitar to show the damage to someone and open a claim. When I returned to the Halifax airport I met with an Air Canada employee, because United has no presence there, and that person acknowledged the damage, opened a claim number but “denied” the claim because Air Canada would not be responsible for damage caused by United employees in Chicago (which still makes sense to me).

I took the claim number and called United back. They never seemed to be able find the claim number on several subsequent phone calls but at the last minute it would always surface. I spoke several times to what I believe were agents in India who, ironically were the most pleasant, and seemed genuinely sorry for what had happened. Three or four months later I got directed to the Chicago baggage offices of United and after several attempts to speak with someone was told to simply bring in the guitar for inspection… to Chicago… from Halifax, Canada.

When I explained that Halifax is far from Chicago someone then said my claim needed to go through Central Baggage in New York and they gave me a toll free phone number. I phoned that number and spoke to someone. She couldn’t understand why someone in Chicago thought she would be able to help me but she seemed to feel for me and asked me to fax her all the information. I did and a few weeks passed with no reply. I called back and the lady said she’d never received the fax. Then I asked her to look for it and surprisingly, there it was. When she found it she asked me to give her a couple of days and to call back. I did, and by the time I phoned again two days later, the number had been discontinued.

I had to start all over again with the same 1-800 # to India, where they were as sorry as ever for what happened, couldn’t find my claim at first, and told me I needed to bring the guitar into Chicago’s O’Hare for inspection. Six months had gone by and the guitar had now been repaired for $1200 to a state that it plays well but has lost much of what made it special. I spoke to a customer service manager in India who promised to forward a note to have someone in Chicago contact me. I received a letter a about a month later from Chicago with no name or contact info, saying someone would be contacting me about this.

Another month went by and I received an email from a Ms. Irlweg in Chicago I believe. It basically said she was sorry this happened and denied my claim. Some of her reasons were:
• I didn’t report it to the United employees who weren’t present when we landed in Omaha
• I didn’t report to the Omaha airport within 24 hours while I was driving to places that weren’t Omaha
• It was an Air Canada issue
• Air Canada already denied the claim (as I mentioned because Air Canada would not pay for United’s damages), but I’m still unsure as to why I needed to report it in Omaha within 24 hours if it was clearly Halifax’s responsibility
• Someone from United would need to see the damage to a guitar that was repaired

So after nine months it came down to a series of emails with Ms. Irlweg and, despite asking to speak to her supervisor, our conversations ended with her saying United would not be taking any responsibility for what had happened and that that would be the last email on the matter. My final offer of a settlement of $1200 in flight vouchers, to cover my salvage costs repairing the Taylor, was rejected.

At that moment it occurred to me that I had been fighting a losing battle all this time and that fighting over this at all was a waste of time. The system is designed to frustrate affected customers into giving up their claims and United is very good at it but I realized then that as a songwriter and traveling musician I wasn’t without options. In my final reply to Ms. Irlweg I told her that I would be writing three songs about United Airlines and my experience in the whole matter. I would then make videos for these songs and offer them for free download on YouTube and my own website, inviting viewers to vote on their favourite United song. My goal: to get one million hits in one year.

To date I have written “United: Song 1” and “United: Song 2” and I’m proud to now release the first video in the trilogy. The response has been incredible so far. Everyone involved in the recording of the track and filming/editing of the video has volunteered their time and pre-production work is underway for the filming of United: Song 2 (hopefully to be released later this summer).

United has demonstrated they know how to keep their airline in the forefront of their customer’s minds and I wanted this project to expand upon that satirically. I’ve been done being angry for quite some time and, if anything, I should thank United. They’ve given me a creative outlet that has brought people together from around the world. We had a pile of laughs making the recording and the video while the images are spinning on how to make “United: Song 2” even better than the first. So, thanks United! If my guitar had to be smashed due to extreme negligence I’m glad it was you that did it. Now sit back and enjoy the show.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:05 am
Suspended

As a 12 year 1K who qualifies on segments I will most likely be gone if UA fails to offer a segment prmo this year - 120 segments for 1k UP FROM 100 IS JUST TOO MUCH!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Noodle
As a 12 year 1K who qualifies on segments I will most likely be gone if UA fails to offer a segment prmo this year - 120 segments for 1k UP FROM 100 IS JUST TOO MUCH!
120 segments seems impossible to me... (So did 100 for that matter!)

I understand your desire to leave.

However, if you (and others who post here) could also provide more detail on:

- What are your priorities? (easier elite qualification, free baggage, upgrades, irrops handling, flight schedule convenience, route map suitability, boarding first, pillow in F, etc.)

- What other airlines are you looking at?

- Which of the other airlines seem to be better suited to your needs?

Lots of people are in positions similar to yours - evaluating alternatives - so it would be great to hear more detail from posters about the specifics of their decision making process.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Thumbs up Good question LarkSFO

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
120 segments seems impossible to me... (So did 100 for that matter!)

I understand your desire to leave.

However, if you (and others who post here) could also provide more detail on:

- What are your priorities? (easier elite qualification, free baggage, upgrades, irrops handling, flight schedule convenience, route map suitability, boarding first, pillow in F, etc.)

- What other airlines are you looking at?

- Which of the other airlines seem to be better suited to your needs?

Lots of people are in positions similar to yours - evaluating alternatives - so it would be great to hear more detail from posters about the specifics of their decision making process.
I have qualified as a 1K VIA MILES AND ON SEGMENTS (AT 100), i HAVE BEEN 1p AND AT TIMES 2p All on miles. Moving to South Texas, I have tried to keep my business with UACO. I have already hit 1P with segments, and will have 70 segments soon. Whether I can hit 120 is yet to be seen, but I am doing a lot of travel- just most of it is short hops. I would be beyond excited to hit 1K again... now to your questions.

1. The 100 segment qualifier is (for me) now important. Sure I will get the 90, but doesn't seem like much of a change. I could hit 100, but 120 is a bit far off. The upgrade thing is another issue. I have 2/23 on CO and 5/8 on UA (eligible flights). I think the F product needs to remain a step above. I purchase a few F trips per year and yes things like no pillows make a difference. Last, pricing has gotten a little crazy of late and falling below the competition. If they continue to lessen the product, lessen the FF levels, and raise prices there isn't much left.

2. I already have 14 segments with WN this year... not a big fan, but they are friendly and can be cheaper. Sadly, I would have preferred all of these going to UACO but I can't justify several hundreds in fare difference. I will never give them all of my business, but can supplement when the price and schedule works.

I am also going to look at AA and might get a match as a back-up plan, but there schedule here is more restrictive and they have the same price problem as UACO.

Ideally I would like to stay with UACO... but if they become more like WN with higher pricing it could be a challenge.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody should make a decision based on the past. The future of all legacy carriers means: 1) Higher qualifications for elite status; 2) capacity cuts meaning fewer F seats available overall and a lot fewer available for any form of UG; 3) agressive corporate discount marketing, meaning lots more paid F, so-called super elites (GS, 1K in UA parlance) will be occasionally lucky; 4) elite status tied more to $ spend (carriers looking for pax in the $75-100K+; 5) capacity cuts also mean a lot fewer award tix.

This thread can go forever, but in the end, it all depends on your base market and the destinations to which you fly. If you live 15 mins from DFW, AA ought to be your choice and the same from EWR, it's CO(UA).

But, in the end, we are moving back to a system where the best way to sit in F will be to buy in F.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+1

Originally Posted by Often1
Nobody should make a decision based on the past. The future of all legacy carriers means: 1) Higher qualifications for elite status; 2) capacity cuts meaning fewer F seats available overall and a lot fewer available for any form of UG; 3) agressive corporate discount marketing. 4) elite status tied more to $ spend.

This thread can go forever, but in the end, it all depends on your base market and the destinations to which you fly.

But, in the end, we are moving back to a system where the best way to sit in F will be to buy in F.
+1, well said
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
..agressive corporate discount marketing, meaning lots more paid F..
While I agree that this is the universal push by airlines, it is beyond uncertain that they will get anywhere with this. Most of us won't pay for those F seats as those F seats are not worth the money they are offered for.

With no upgrade inventory, I will however also no longer pay for expensive Y fares as dirt cheapo fares shall get me the same. 1P I am for life, with no ug, 1P is the same as 1K. MP miles are now worthless anyway for me.

So should UACO succeed in prostituting itself entirely to the B2B only, then the reaction is an easy one for me too.
Nobody should make a decision based on the past.
With the subtle problem of course that no one knows the future and that there is a huge inertia in the system. Especially on the consumer's side.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:47 am

Continental vs Cathay for NY - Hong Kong

First time posting so hope this is the right place to raise the question.

I am a CO Platinum with a few hundred thousand miles that I've accrued mainly by flying the EWR - HKG nonstop 3 to 4 times a year (I work between NYC and HKG). I've been a tad frustrated with CO lately as I've not been able to get a business class upgrade on the EWR - HKG flight, which is really the only CO route I fly. So, I've been thinking of switching to the Cathay JFK - HKG nonstop. I would be incredibly grateful if anyone has any advice on CO vs Cathay and if it would be a good idea to make the switch to Cathay for these flights. Any thoughts?

As mentioned, I do the NY to HKG flight 3 to 4 times a year. I live in HK (so Cathay would have more "local" flights near home). My biggest priority is being able to use miles for economy to business upgrades as I buy most of the NY to HKG flights myself (and so buy economy hoping to upgrade).

Also, understand this may be off point, but I will probably end up with about 80k EQMs on CO this year. I am toying with the idea of getting to 100k so I can get the 6 SWUs for next year's EWR - HKG runs. However, given my recent bad luck with CO upgrades, I am wondering whether it would really be worth it to get to 100k. Anyone have any thoughts on trying to use SWUs on the EWR - HKG route?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by bfmedu
First time posting so hope this is the right place to raise the question.

I am a CO Platinum with a few hundred thousand miles that I've accrued mainly by flying the EWR - HKG nonstop 3 to 4 times a year (I work between NYC and HKG). I've been a tad frustrated with CO lately as I've not been able to get a business class upgrade on the EWR - HKG flight, which is really the only CO route I fly. So, I've been thinking of switching to the Cathay JFK - HKG nonstop. I would be incredibly grateful if anyone has any advice on CO vs Cathay and if it would be a good idea to make the switch to Cathay for these flights. Any thoughts?

As mentioned, I do the NY to HKG flight 3 to 4 times a year. I live in HK (so Cathay would have more "local" flights near home). My biggest priority is being able to use miles for economy to business upgrades as I buy most of the NY to HKG flights myself (and so buy economy hoping to upgrade).

Also, understand this may be off point, but I will probably end up with about 80k EQMs on CO this year. I am toying with the idea of getting to 100k so I can get the 6 SWUs for next year's EWR - HKG runs. However, given my recent bad luck with CO upgrades, I am wondering whether it would really be worth it to get to 100k. Anyone have any thoughts on trying to use SWUs on the EWR - HKG route?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to FT!

The HKG upgrade from any US gateway (EWR, SFO, and ORD) is tough. Even as a 1K, your best chance will be via NRT to improve your odds. I know some GS's that were flying on B and Y fares not even scoring the upgrade (especially in the summer months).

If you are HKG based, I would ask longterm what your travel patterns are going to be. If you are going back to HKG down the road, I would consider going with the CX program or at the very least, a One World program (like AA) since you would have the best of both worlds. Strong One World program at your home base HKG and if you stay in the US, AA can handle it (strong out of JFK).

As far as using miles to upgrade on CX, I would pose that question to the people over in the CX forum.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Welcome to FT!

The HKG upgrade from any US gateway (EWR, SFO, and ORD) is tough. Even as a 1K, your best chance will be via NRT to improve your odds. I know some GS's that were flying on B and Y fares not even scoring the upgrade (especially in the summer months).

If you are HKG based, I would ask longterm what your travel patterns are going to be. If you are going back to HKG down the road, I would consider going with the CX program or at the very least, a One World program (like AA) since you would have the best of both worlds. Strong One World program at your home base HKG and if you stay in the US, AA can handle it (strong out of JFK).

As far as using miles to upgrade on CX, I would pose that question to the people over in the CX forum.

Is EWR-HKG really that hard to upgrade? About 2 years ago in June, my parents and I scored 3 upgrades to BF as GMs. Is there really that much more traffic in a period of two years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.