Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
later this week i am flying BOM-MUC-IAH-SMF. i have upgraded MUC-IAH with a GPU, but IAH-SMF is waitlisted and looking hopeless thanks to a bloody 737-700 on this segment.

pending changes in upgrade/business class inventory i might want to SDC to MUC-IAD-SMF to get the GPU to cover me all the way home, it's been a long trip and even domestic F is looking good right now.

has anyone had any recent experience with requesting this 24 hours in advance of my departure from BOM versus 24 hours in advance of the departure of the IAD-SMF segment? in the past i've been denied the SDC until 24 hours from the departure of the last segment on the one way...not sure if that has been an anomaly or not.

an additional factor is that i plan to upgrade the BOM-MUC segment with a paper GPU and based on the current load factor in J, i expect to have no problems clearing it. therefore, if possible, i would like to make the SDC before i request the BOM-MUC upgrade so as not to create a mess. the timing of this gets challenging because i will probably need to request the BOM-MUC upgrade almost exactly 24 hr before departure of the IAD-SMF flight.

welcoming of any thoughts or experiences.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
If I have XXX-NRT-YYY on one ticket and NRT-YYY is on OAL, can I SDC XXX-NRT to the previous day, and then fly NRT-YYY as scheduled?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by hobo13
If I have XXX-NRT-YYY on one ticket and NRT-YYY is on OAL, can I SDC XXX-NRT to the previous day, and then fly NRT-YYY as scheduled?
No. Not according to the rules, has to be all UA operated.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
later this week i am flying BOM-MUC-IAH-SMF. i have upgraded MUC-IAH with a GPU, but IAH-SMF is waitlisted and looking hopeless thanks to a bloody 737-700 on this segment.

pending changes in upgrade/business class inventory i might want to SDC to MUC-IAD-SMF to get the GPU to cover me all the way home, it's been a long trip and even domestic F is looking good right now.

has anyone had any recent experience with requesting this 24 hours in advance of my departure from BOM versus 24 hours in advance of the departure of the IAD-SMF segment? in the past i've been denied the SDC until 24 hours from the departure of the last segment on the one way...not sure if that has been an anomaly or not.

an additional factor is that i plan to upgrade the BOM-MUC segment with a paper GPU and based on the current load factor in J, i expect to have no problems clearing it. therefore, if possible, i would like to make the SDC before i request the BOM-MUC upgrade so as not to create a mess. the timing of this gets challenging because i will probably need to request the BOM-MUC upgrade almost exactly 24 hr before departure of the IAD-SMF flight.

welcoming of any thoughts or experiences.
Technically, should be allowed to change 24 hours prior to first segment. However, usually if more than two segments, .bomb, etc. won't offer SDC anyway.

This is all pretty irrelevant though. BOM-MUC clearly isn't UA-operated, so technically no SDC allowed at all on your itin at all. Practically though, once the LH segment is done, you should be able to SDC (i.e., once you get to MUC).

Even if they were to allow you to make the change at T-24 for BOM, I would be wary of trying to do so. With a partner, I would not want to take chances with any sort of re-issue messing up the LH segment so close to departure. That's just me, though.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

You are misunderstanding the timing of SDC. Since you want to change the MUC flight it is 24 hours from the MUC-IAH flight that you can change to MUC-IAD-SMF. If MUC-IAD leaves after MUC-IAH then you have to wait until 24 hours before MUC-IAD. The BOM-MUC flight, as the poster above me already pointed out, shouldn't be touched and can't be touched as it's LH-operated. So you should get to MUC and then find a service center to do the change or call UA in the States and ask them to do it...assuming your original coach fare class MUC-IAD-SMF is open and assuming "R" space is available MUC-IAD-SMF. Honestly, it's highly unlikely to be as UA no longer opens all fare buckets just before flight time and MUC-IAD is a hard enough upgrade.

-RM
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You are misunderstanding the timing of SDC. Since you want to change the MUC flight it is 24 hours from the MUC-IAH flight that you can change to MUC-IAD-SMF. If MUC-IAD leaves after MUC-IAH then you have to wait until 24 hours before MUC-IAD.
Just trying to understand a related situation:

Original ticketed flight: dep 6h25 a.m.
Intended changed flight: dep 9h30 a.m.

Can I call in for the change at 6h25 a.m. or 9h30 a.m., the day (e.g. 24hrs) before?

TIA!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Just trying to understand a related situation:

Original ticketed flight: dep 6h25 a.m.
Intended changed flight: dep 9h30 a.m.

Can I call in for the change at 6h25 a.m. or 9h30 a.m., the day (e.g. 24hrs) before?

TIA!
You have to call at 9:30.

Guys, this is simple. Work out the time 24 hours before your booked flight and the flight you want. Whichever is later is the soonest you can call.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, qasr! I'm sure, the answer is somewhere buried in the 280 pages of this thread.
So, it is 24 hrs before the dep time of the intended flight, e.g. the new flight you want to change to.

I might be worthwhile to ammend the Wiki accordingly.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:17 pm

So, it is 24 hrs before the dep time of the intended flight, e.g. the new flight you want to change to.

Except that is not what he said...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I just added:
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

to the wiki, please feel free to wordsmith.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks, qasr! I'm sure, the answer is somewhere buried in the 280 pages of this thread.

The wiki is, in my biased opinion, quite clear on this issue.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Right...Maybe I need a whiteboard...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by qasr
Right...Maybe I need a whiteboard...
Huh? Can you explain what's difficult about this language from the wiki?

The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Huh? Can you explain what's difficult about this language from the wiki?
I certainly can't, it is very clear to me.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I just added:
Follow this flowchart:

to the wiki, please feel free to wordsmith.
Cool! Thx, rob! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.