Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mherdeg
OK, successfully changed BOS-SFO-ICN (A,A) to BOS-SFO-NRT-ICN (A,A,D), a same-day confirmed change which processed via manual pricing and involved paying extra taxes/fees.

First segment was originally 6 a.m., is now 6 p.m.

This took a long time on the phone, a little over two hours. First call started about 5:45 p.m. Last call ended at about 7:55 p.m. About nine phone calls.

First agent successfully grabbed the space, then insisted that a change of routing triggered a refare (this is a problem because the $1334 fare is gone and now it's $13334).

Second agent went to a rate/support desk to complete the SDC but mysteriously disconnected the call at the 20 min mark.

Third agent insisted there was a refare. Fourth agent was unable to find the space. Fifth agent insisted there was a refare because of change in connection and pointedly refused to read 'GG SDC'.

Sixth agent was unable to find space on SFO-NRT, insisted that inventory was A1 (two-passenger itinerary). It showed "A4" online. Seventh agent was unable to find SFO-NRT inventory, said it was A1. Eighth agent was unable to find SFO-NRT inventory, said it was A1, transferred to Web support desk, who insisted it was A1.

On ninth agent, we first asked "can you tell us if there is space in First in booking class A on SFO-NRT 10/23?" and she said "yep" then we asked "how many seats?" and she said "4" and we said great, then requested to SDC and supplied the segments. Agent found space, agreed that the trip was SDC eligible and that this was a correct by-the-book thing to want to do, was unable to complete the transaction, phoned a support desk for help. About 30 min on hold later, paid a $15.40 add/collect for extra taxes and got a new ticket.

They must have manually stored the old A fare in the record and processed as an ordinary flight change (rather than an SDC). It used to be possible to use the 'change flights' button online to change the return, but this is no longer possible, presumably because of the way the fare is now stored in the record.

Now, we'd like to push the outbound back slightly further tomorrow with another SDC … but I'm not optimistic.

This is baffling because we are playing by the book here! This is an ordinary revenue ticket, albeit one that we bought at a deeply discounted price that is no longer available. We're paying customers, albeit yielding only a slightly better margin than coach pax on the same route (maybe 2x the fare for intl F instead of Y). There shouldn't need to be any wiggle room here to make this work. So confusing.
Wow.

Sad that it's come to this.

I'm glad you stayed on it and dealt with nine idiot agents to get your rightful way.

I'm also glad you were able to get the mistake fare and take the flights that you want, UA has screwed over so many people with APDs that should never be taken (I'm still due US$200,00) and refunds that aren't ever granted that the more these mistakes happen, the more things start to even out for the shell of an airline that COdbaUA has become.

-jeremy
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Flying GEG-DEN-ATL with ATL-DEN-GEG return leg. All legs were Z fare.

Wanted to Change return leg to ATL-IAH-DEN-GEG (to enjoy 787 on IAH-DEN leg) within the 24 hour clock.

I confirmed routing was available before I called (for some reason, I was having trouble seeing change flight option on OLCI).

Agent seemed knowledgeable but system insisted in charging extra. She knew it shouldn't charge, so talked with the rate desk. Bottom line, rate desk insisted there should be a change. Agent agreed with me but felt her hands were tied.

I realize this was a HUCA, but had other things to do.

I'm relative new at SDC, so I just want to make sure I was trying to apply SDC correctly.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Tall Paul

Wanted to Change return leg to ATL-IAH-DEN-GEG (to enjoy 787 on IAH-DEN leg) within the 24 hour clock.

I confirmed routing was available before I called (for some reason, I was having trouble seeing change flight option on OLCI).

Agent seemed knowledgeable but system insisted in charging extra. She knew it shouldn't charge, so talked with the rate desk. Bottom line, rate desk insisted there should be a change. Agent agreed with me but felt her hands were tied.

I'm relative new at SDC, so I just want to make sure I was trying to apply SDC correctly.
We can't tell you if you were applying SDC correctly because some info is missing. Based on your comments it sounds like you did the right thing. UA *can* add segments to your itinerary for SDC and they may have tried to charge you some extra taxes but that's about it. Your origin and destination remained the same.

If "Z" fare was available on the new flights you wanted and you were within 24 hours of your first flight then SDC should have been possible.

Every time I've had the agent call the rate desk it's taken 20 minutes but they always come back with a, "No problem, you're all set." Still don't know why they have to do that but they do sometimes.

-RM
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tall Paul

Any chance it was an UPDI fare? This shouldn't cause an issue for you (well for the website/app it definitely will, but agents should know how to handle it). Unfortunately agents frequently look at the fare basis (eg QEA00ARN/UPDI, which was a Z fare) so they are looking for the base inventory (Q in my case) and will put you on the upgrade list (at which point a good one might realize their error since no instrument books into P/Z where these UPDIs land). This is not the correct procedure however, you should only require Z inventory and an agent may need to be reminded this is an UPDI fare that booked into Z at ticketing. For all intents and purposes you should be treated as a normal Z fare (Z bucket only needs to be available for SDC, due any available seat in first during irrops, etc.). See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...yup-fares.html for more (although I don't think it talks much about how some UPDIs are now Z, they used to all be P).

As for the rate desk I have no idea why they seem to keep messing up SDC... this is perhaps the most disturbing trend I'm seeing here. I understand international taxes/duties changing (especially when adding a country to the routing), but domestically this shouldn't be affected by SDC at all. I can understand a computer choking on that question, especially on a complicated fare like this, but the rules seem pretty clear and the rate desk should override it.

Unrelated question: Has anyone ever asked a CS agent to HUCA on the rate desk? Would be kind of funny to me (and may actually be useful in an example like the one above where a full HUCA could mean you don't get as knoweldgable of an agent).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:22 am

I successfully managed to change my DCA-ORD flight today to the same flight exactly T-24 by calling. The agent was very nice.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by leonidas
I successfully managed to change my DCA-ORD flight today to the same flight exactly T-24 by calling. The agent was very nice.
How?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Is there a way to search to see what flight, if I SDC, will get me a confirmed CPU?

I do realize that first you need to SDC then you get on the upgrade list. I am trying to see if there's anyway to know in advance of making a SDC.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Is there a way to search to see what flight, if I SDC, will get me a confirmed CPU?

I do realize that first you need to SDC then you get on the upgrade list. I am trying to see if there's anyway to know in advance of making a SDC.
There's no hard numbers. Usually when you're in the SDC window most upgrades have cleared. I'm generally not optimistic for a UG after SDC because of this.

Once or twice I thought I had a pretty good chance (once I did clear) off the battlefield list. Most of the list had cleared (and we were close enough to flight time that most were checked in) so I figured I outranked most of the uncleared list. Once I changed and ended up toward the top of the list all I had to do was hope the open seats weren't taken.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 100% Green
I am trying to see if there's anyway to know in advance of making a SDC.
No there is not. CPUs come from hidden inventory so you never know advance availability. A bunch of unsold F seats is a hopeful sign.

I cleared immediately upon SDC at T-24 on SFO-SEA two weeks ago. As soon as you check-in on the new flight, it prompts a CPU sweep.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:07 pm

2 Same Day Change(SDC)?

Hi,

I was wondering if this is possible.

I am currently set to fly from Nashville,TX(BNA) to Seattle, WA (SEA) via Chicago, IL (ORD) on Saturday morning. I would like to use Same Day Change (SDC) and fly on Friday instead via Houston, TX(IAH).

The question is, can I use SDC and fly from BNA to IAH on Friday and then once i get to houston, use SDC and fly from IAH to SEA on Saturday?

thanks in Advance,
Seung
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is possible to SDC an itinerary multiple times; there is no limit on that aspect of the benefit.

Using it to break the fare rules, which it sounds like you are trying to do, is a less consistent situation. And oft likely to fail.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Two PNRs, but SDC the last segment of the first one

I wonder if I could break some UA rules if I would try to SDC the last segment of the first PNR multiple times while completing the flights on the second PNR. Says, the last segment is EWR-XXX, while the second PNR is JFK-YYY-JFK. Is there any chance that UA may cancel any of segments including EWR-XXX? I will check in JFK-YYY-JFK flight before attempting the SDC. There is 6-7 h between the end of the first PNR and the beginning of the second PNR. Thanks for any insights or experiences.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I wonder if I could break some UA rules if I would try to SDC the last segment of the first PNR multiple times while completing the flights on the second PNR. Says, the last segment is EWR-XXX, while the second PNR is JFK-YYY-JFK. Is there any chance that UA may cancel any of segments including EWR-XXX? I will check in JFK-YYY-JFK flight before attempting the SDC. There is 6-7 h between the end of the first PNR and the beginning of the second PNR. Thanks for any insights or experiences.
This is no problem, I've done it. It's also why it is smart to book two one ways instead of a round trip.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 pm

Is there a defined BKM (Best Known Method) for pushing out the outbound flight and the return simultaneously?

I have a one day trip scheduled, outbound and return flights are roughly 24 hours apart.

My meeting has been pushed 2 days later, but I'd like to see if I use can SDC and keep my current tickets for the same (or similar) flights.

Should I SDC the outbound to as close as possible to the return? Then push out the return. Then do this again?

Any other methods to accomplish this objective?

Is it possible to 'leapfrog' the outbound flight so for a short period of time (until I change the return), the outbound is scheduled for later than the return flight?

(of course, as a backup, I can just pay the change fee and move the flights. But, what fun is that? )
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Is there a defined BKM (Best Known Method) for pushing out the outbound flight and the return simultaneously?

I have a one day trip scheduled, outbound and return flights are roughly 24 hours apart.

My meeting has been pushed 2 days later, but I'd like to see if I use can SDC and keep my current tickets for the same (or similar) flights.

Should I SDC the outbound to as close as possible to the return? Then push out the return. Then do this again?

Any other methods to accomplish this objective?

Is it possible to 'leapfrog' the outbound flight so for a short period of time (until I change the return), the outbound is scheduled for later than the return flight?

(of course, as a backup, I can just pay the change fee and move the flights. But, what fun is that? )
As I said in the post before, booking as two one ways is better exactly for this reason.

The problem is that you can't SDC the return until the outbound is flown.

You could pay a change fee to separate them and then SDC to what you want... but that would only make sense if there wasn't availability in your bucket on the days you want. If there is, pay the change fee and move to the flights you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.