Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AP, AM
No Room on First Standby By Flight

ORD-YOW: no room on first standby flight but got on second flight via same day standby that was still before my original ticketed flight. Does the full $75 fee still apply?

Any changes in the same day standby fees charged with the Chicago ATC fire?

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Couldn't find a relevant posting, so hoping someone can help me out.

In Vegas for a conference, but totally over it. Been inside literally for days without stepping foot outside and I'm just wiped and want to go home. Just checked in, but no option to change flights. What does this mean? No flights available? I've never had this happen before. This is the case on both the full website and mobile app. I don't want to have to go the airport tomorrow and sit around all day hoping to get standby. Any ideas?

If not, will try giving UA a call after I decompress a little bit.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

In Vegas for a conference, but totally over it. Been inside literally for days without stepping foot outside and I'm just wiped and want to go home. Just checked in, but no option to change flights. What does this mean? No flights available? I've never had this happen before. This is the case on both the full website and mobile app. I don't want to have to go the airport tomorrow and sit around all day hoping to get standby. Any ideas?

Similar experience a couple of weeks ago. Scheduled back from MCO to LAX and literally nothing was offered for SDC. Is this the new normal?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:59 pm

Did you call?

I have found agents (sometimes) to be able to find options that I cannot.

Originally Posted by ShagU
Similar experience a couple of weeks ago. Scheduled back from MCO to LAX and literally nothing was offered for SDC. Is this the new normal?
No, not in my recent experience.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In Vegas for a conference, but totally over it. Been inside literally for days without stepping foot outside and I'm just wiped and want to go home. Just checked in, but no option to change flights. What does this mean? No flights available? I've never had this happen before. This is the case on both the full website and mobile app.
LAS and MCO? Convention traffic. Very full flights = little or no availability in the lower fare buckets = no SDC on a discount ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by obsyow
ORD-YOW: no room on first standby flight but got on second flight via same day standby that was still before my original ticketed flight. Does the full $75 fee still apply?

Thanks
You paid for standby and got it, even if not on the first flight. So yes, you still have to pay.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just checked in, but no option to change flights. What does this mean? No flights available? I've never had this happen before. This is the case on both the full website and mobile app. I don't want to have to go the airport tomorrow and sit around all day hoping to get standby. Any ideas?
IME, no flights mean there are no eligible SDC options for flights in your fate class.

That said, different methods can sometimes see different options, so if the app isn't showing it, doesn't mean an agent can't see it. Also, you can upgrade to the lowest available fare class by paying the fare difference only (and SDC fee, if applicable). But the app won't show those options - you need to deal with an agent for that.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Phone agents are having some trouble seeing married-segment inventory.

Looking to SDC a flight from EWR-LHR to EWR-IAD-LHR. Flight is in V fare class. Actually two identical trips for two travelers on two PNRs.

The relevant EWR-IAD flights are Y9 B9 M9 … V0. But when booked as EWR-IAD-LHR, the relevant EWR-IAD flights are Y9 … V9 … L9 and IAD-LHR is also Y9 … V9 … L9.

Three phone agents in order
(1) was able to confirm a change for one PNR, but not a second PNR (despite the relevant flight not being V1…);
(2) did not know what an SDC was, misinterpreted the request to SDC as a request to make a flight change, added segments in 'U' inventory to the record, then put us on hold while she called the rate desk; 15 min later, came back quoting upfare and change fee (!);
(3) did not see V inventory and could be convinced that it was there.

In fairness, without a GDS most people wouldn't be able to see the married-segment inventory, but it's clearly there — so, a bit wacky.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
This is not been the new normal in my experience. Had a flight out last Monday and did a SDC for five days and will be flying out tomorrow morning(Friday.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by obsyow

Thanks
Huh? Don't you know whether or not you paid?

Originally Posted by emcampbe
You paid for standby and got it, even if not on the first flight. So yes, you still have to pay.
Actually, there is still a massive exception policy for ORD that allows you to do basically whatever you want. Not a lot of attention paid to it here, but it's remarkable.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
It's all relative. I once had a flight on Alaska Airlines and decided to move my return up by 2 days. I called the customer service line as a no status passenger, and they found me a flight and got my return changed. All at $0 cost.
How long ago was this? About three years ago, AS changed a policy that I actually never even knew existed before they changed it: if you booked a round-trip, you could change the return leg after your departure with no fare differential if there was still availability in your class of service (not even your fare bucket, just your class of service).

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Either X or XN needs to be open to do an sdc. Inside 3hrs to departure fare buckets should level out such that any available economy seat should be bookable. It may require a call though.
The other points about X/XN not opening up anymore aside, I've often wondered if there's any advantage to booking in XN where possible. If you book X and XN, but not X, opens up, is it possible to SDC from X to XN, or will the SDC system only consider X space? Is XN considered a "higher" fare bucket for CPU purposes? It seems the system will book you into X by default if X is available, even if you qualify for XN (as an elite). I've always wondered if this is disadvantageous for any reason.

Upgrades aside, not that it's a huge deal for me as a Platinum or higher, as the regular rebooking tool is more flexible than the SDC tool, but if I ever drop to Gold, SDCs become much cheaper than regular rebookings.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Actually, there is still a massive exception policy for ORD that allows you to do basically whatever you want. Not a lot of attention paid to it here, but it's remarkable.
Hmm. I'm flying through ORD tomorrow on an award. It would be nice to convert that to a Y fare, SDC it to something ridiculous, and earn miles on it. I won't get my hopes up too high, though.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I disagree.

UA's policy (in my opinion) is generous to me as a UA elite in the 'absolute' sense of the word.

I buy the lowest priced airfare on a certain day. I am able to switch to many other flights that same day, some of which would have been more expensive up front.

I can change today's flight to tomorrow. And then the next day. And so on.

I can book a flight approximately, rather than specifically, knowing that in almost all cases I will be able to change to the flight I need once my meeting schedule firms up.

You did touch on one other program, though, that is also generous: AS.

Could they be more generous? I guess so. But, my concern if anything is that they might become less generous...
Like I said, it's all relative. You consider it "generous" I consider it "reasonable". Who's right? We both are (since it is a matter of subjective opinion).

One thing to consider is that both the passenger and UA get a benefit when someone changes to an earlier flight that has availability. Say that a passenger changes to a flight leaving in the next 20 minutes that would have gone out with an otherwise empty seat. At a minimum, it buys UA some additional time to try to fill a seat to that same destination by opening up a seat on the passengers original, later flight.

It's kind of like the situation where you have an old refrigerator you want to get rid of. I need a fridge and so I say I'll gladly take it off your hands for free. You save the dump fee, and I get a fridge. You could say that we are both being generous since we each help the other person out. You could also say that we are both being greedy, since we are both acting in our own self-interest. And both statements would have some truth to them. The difference here is that UA is charging the passenger for doing something that benefits UA (assuming the passenger is not Gold+). To me, that's not "generous" on the part of UA.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:06 am

Like I said, it's all relative. You consider it "generous" I consider it "reasonable". Who's right? We both are (since it is a matter of subjective opinion).

One thing to consider is that both the passenger and UA get a benefit when someone changes to an earlier flight that has availability. Say that a passenger changes to a flight leaving in the next 20 minutes that would have gone out with an otherwise empty seat. At a minimum, it buys UA some additional time to try to fill a seat to that same destination by opening up a seat on the passengers original, later flight.

It's kind of like the situation where you have an old refrigerator you want to get rid of. I need a fridge and so I say I'll gladly take it off your hands for free. You save the dump fee, and I get a fridge. You could say that we are both being generous since we each help the other person out. You could also say that we are both being greedy, since we are both acting in our own self-interest. And both statements would have some truth to them. The difference here is that UA is charging the passenger for doing something that benefits UA (assuming the passenger is not Gold+). To me, that's not "generous" on the part of UA.
I agree with your post in it's entirety!

When would you like to stop by and pick up my old fridge, my friend?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

This analysis is not accurate. Whether a particular SDC will hurt or benefit UA cannot be determined in the abstract. An SDC may benefit UA as you describe. On the other hand, it may cost UA substantial revenue by taking away a seat that UA would have sold at full Y or B (since fare bucket availability does not mean the fare is available for sale), while the seat that was emptied remains unsold and is never filled.

It is for this reason that SDC is properly described as a passenger benefit. UA is foregoing both change fees and a fare differential that it would otherwise be entitled to charge, with no corresponding expected benefit - except for competitive advantage and passenger loyalty - in exchange.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
This analysis is not accurate. Whether a particular SDC will hurt or benefit UA cannot be determined in the abstract. An SDC may benefit UA as you describe. On the other hand, it may cost UA substantial revenue by taking away a seat that UA would have sold at full Y or B (since fare bucket availability does not mean the fare is available for sale), while the seat that was emptied remains unsold and is never filled.

It is for this reason that SDC is properly described as a passenger benefit. UA is foregoing both change fees and a fare differential that it would otherwise be entitled to charge, with no corresponding expected benefit - except for competitive advantage and passenger loyalty - in exchange.
Indeed. UA has a perfectly reasonable and typical fare structure that involves price discrimination based on flexibility. Every major airline, even "change-fee-free" WN, uses this approach. The outlandish free change policy being advocated for would gut UA's ability to price discriminate. To pretend that UA would benefit from such a policy is to completely ignore the context.

UA's policy is very generous. Objectively. In absolute terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.